Uber Drivers Forum banner
1 - 20 of 101 Posts

·
Banned
2,293 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Time for a serious thread now. You want helpful information. Here it is.

Just bought a 2014 with 30k miles on it. Good for 1.5-2years. $20k. Select car, 4 cylinder.

Already depreciated to a descent point. I make over $150k a year, not just uber. $20k isn't a bad price to pay for the tool that does a job with that income level.

What I've read on many forums drivers stating that select should be higher level cars. I laugh every time I read such stupidity.

Select pays $2.35 a mile. A Prius taxi makes almost $3 a mile and I see such ignorance post that select should be a $60k E class. Makes my side hurt laughing so hard.

It's not everyone else's issue you bought the wrong car. The specifications for select shows exactly what it is. Entry level luxury.

Yet, you have drivers that over spent on the tool to do the job so they want to eliminate the competition. If you were ignorant enough to buy an e class for a platform that pays $2.35 a mile. It's not the platform that needs to be revamped, it's your thinking.

So many of these drivers think they should up the level of cars on select. But they already did. It's called black car. Because you don't have commercial insurance doesn't mean let's raise the standard for select. It means you're an idiot who's driving the wrong car for that platform.

First mistake people make getting a car. They buy new. It's not necessary. A new $35k c class is $22k in 3 years. So why waste $13k? Does a $22k c class make the same rate as a $35k c class? So why waste the $13k?

Options.
Look for the base rate of the select car. The only thing you will probably want in it is a moonroof. A moonroof says you have options.
The audio system. Who cares as long as it has a radio. You don't need a bose radio. You're not going to get paid anymore for the ride. Passengers don't normally tip. Don't waste money on them.
The rims. You're going to replace tires frequently. Get the smallest rims possible. Passengers aren't going to notice a 17" rim VS a 19" rim. But you can get a 17" tire for about $70 VS a 19" tire that's $180
Seat heaters. It's California. They're a waste of money.
Heads up display. Passenger isn't going to notice it anyway
GPS. We use our phones.
Camera systems. You can turn your head and look around you
Ventilated seats. They're not spending the night in the car. They'll be out before the seats start blowing air up their arse
Motor. Smallest motor the way to go. Gas mileage over a year is going to help you get the next tool (car)

I think you get the picture. I know when you buy used you don't get a choice of options. But you should be aware of costs. Get the cheapest tool you can to do the job. A more expensive tool doesn't get you anything more. You need to focus on ROI. You're a business you need to make a profit.

For all those drivers opting down categories, you're not going to be able to pay for the maintenance on your car much less be able to buy another car when yours falls apart if your aren't making enough per mile.

Do you really think you can maintain an SUV at $2.35 a mile? How about an S class or 7 series? $100k driving for $2.35 a mile.

The cars opting down into select for $2.35 are just digging themselves a hole they won't be able to get out of.

Passengers that have received higher end cars on select will continue to try and cherry pick a lux on select

You wonder why SUV is slow. Because I can get one on select. SUV Drivers are screwing up their market. It's slow on black, lux and SUV because you're all opted into select scabbing rides.

To all the drivers that think select cars should be a higher level grade, well apparently you have poor math skills. Because taxi Prius make almost $3 a mile and don't cost anywhere near an E class, 5 series, etc.

The select class doesn't need to be fixed. Drivers just need to learn how to run a profitable business.

·
Premium Member
23,297 Posts
Time for a serious thread now. You want helpful information. Here it is.

Just bought a 2014 with 30k miles on it. Good for 1.5-2years. $20k. Select car, 4 cylinder.

Already depreciated to a descent point. I make over $150k a year, not just uber. $20k isn't a bad price to pay for the tool that does a job with that income level.

What I've read on many forums drivers stating that select should be higher level cars. I laugh every time I read such stupidity.

Select pays $2.35 a mile. A Prius taxi makes almost $3 a mile and I see such ignorance post that select should be a $60k E class. Makes my side hurt laughing so hard.

It's not everyone else's issue you bought the wrong car. The specifications for select shows exactly what it is. Entry level luxury.

Yet, you have drivers that over spent on the tool to do the job so they want to eliminate the competition. If you were ignorant enough to buy an e class for a platform that pays $2.35 a mile. It's not the platform that needs to be revamped, it's your thinking.

So many of these drivers think they should up the level of cars on select. But they already did. It's called black car. Because you don't have commercial insurance doesn't mean let's raise the standard for select. It means you're an idiot who's driving the wrong car for that platform.

First mistake people make getting a car. They buy new. It's not necessary. A new $35k c class is $22k in 3 years. So why waste $13k? Does a $22k c class make the same rate as a $35k c class? So why waste the $13k?

Options.
Look for the base rate of the select car. The only thing you will probably want in it is a moonroof. A moonroof says you have options.
The audio system. Who cares as long as it has a radio. You don't need a bose radio. You're not going to get paid anymore for the ride. Passengers don't normally tip. Don't waste money on them.
The rims. You're going to replace tires frequently. Get the smallest rims possible. Passengers aren't going to notice a 17" rim VS a 19" rim. But you can get a 17" tire for about $70 VS a 19" tire that's $180
Seat heaters. It's California. They're a waste of money.
Heads up display. Passenger isn't going to notice it anyway
GPS. We use our phones.
Camera systems. You can turn your head and look around you
Ventilated seats. They're not spending the night in the car. They'll be out before the seats start blowing air up their arse
Motor. Smallest motor the way to go. Gas mileage over a year is going to help you get the next tool (car)

I think you get the picture. I know when you buy used you don't get a choice of options. But you should be aware of costs. Get the cheapest tool you can to do the job. A more expensive tool doesn't get you anything more. You need to focus on ROI. You're a business you need to make a profit.

For all those drivers opting down categories, you're not going to be able to pay for the maintenance on your car much less be able to buy another car when yours falls apart if your aren't making enough per mile.

Do you really think you can maintain an SUV at $2.35 a mile? How about an S class or 7 series? $100k driving for $2.35 a mile.

The cars opting down into select for $2.35 are just digging themselves a hole they won't be able to get out of.

Passengers that have received higher end cars on select will continue to try and cherry pick a lux on select

You wonder why SUV is slow. Because I can get one on select. SUV Drivers are screwing up their market. It's slow on black, lux and SUV because you're all opted into select scabbing rides.

To all the drivers that think select cars should be a higher level grade, well apparently you have poor math skills. Because taxi Prius make almost $3 a mile and don't cost anywhere near an E class, 5 series, etc.

The select class doesn't need to be fixed. Drivers just need to learn how to run a profitable business.
THIS x10

And one word: www.carmax.com

·
Banned
2,293 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
So what's a good Select 4 banger?
C class, CLA, 3 series, A4.

In the LA market the German cars are the ones people want. Personally I have had better luck with the mercedes than other brands. I really don't get cancelled on in the mercedes. The mercedes is getting 25mpg. That's real. Not some made up numbers I've seen others post on here.
Look for the 4 cylinder and smaller rims. You'll be replacing tires.
The c class is a pretty nice car inside. I believe in 2015 they made them bigger inside. So they are coming into play. A used 2015 c class between $20k - $25k is a good place to start.

You need financing. Credit unions have some of the best rates. Southland credit union has 1.99% on a 4 year with auto pay. You will need to pay it within two years so you'll need to pay another 50% more than the payment to get it paid down quicker.

Purchased cars you can right off the depreciation. Even though it has depreciated significantly you still get some deprecation write off

·
Premium Member
23,297 Posts
I actually went shopping for a used Lincoln MKZ Hybrid for this exact reason. Found a 2012 with only 35k miles on it. In the end did not get it. Very happy I didn't cuz Uber changed the Age Out for Select from 10 years to 5 years later that week.

ADD: And the price was $16k for the 2012 MKZ Hybrid.

·
Banned
2,293 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
In addition the cylinders get comparable gas mileage to many Uberx cars. Compare an Altima to a C300. Yet you can opt into select with a c300 but the Altima you're playing the surge game to hedge the gas

In my opinion entry level luxury the way to go. You have the option of a 2x surge or greater on x to keep yourself busy in case select is slow. It's a tool that works multiple platforms that can make a profit on both of those platforms.

·
Banned
2,293 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I actually went shopping for a used Lincoln MKZ Hybrid for this exact reason. Found a 2012 with only 35k miles on it. In the end did not get it. Very happy I didn't cuz Uber changed the Age Out for Select from 10 years to 5 years later that week.
That's a great car. Perfect for the category. I think that's 30mpg?

·
Premium Member
1,399 Posts
Get the cheapest tool you can to do the job. A more expensive tool doesn't get you anything more. You need to focus on ROI. You're a business you need to make a profit.
Nice points and well written.... and apply's to all categories. Just today I saw a new Dodge Charger doing UberX (I assume). We've all seen Tundras and other bad choices.

But what I really want to learn is, how the hell are you pulling in 150K a year on select, that's almost 200 miles a day 24/7/365? BTW, not trying to insult you in any way.

Reactions: Pig Pen

·
Premium Member
23,297 Posts
Nice points and well written.... and apply's to all categories. Just today I saw a new Dodge Charger doing UberX (I assume). We've all seen Tundras and other bad choices.

But what I really want to learn is, how the hell are you pulling in 150K a year on select, that's almost 200 miles a day 24/7/365?
I make over $150k a year, not just uber.

·
Banned
16,573 Posts
In addition the cylinders get comparable gas mileage to many Uberx cars. Compare an Altima to a C300. Yet you can opt into select with a c300 but the Altima you're playing the surge game to hedge the gas

In my opinion entry level luxury the way to go. You have the option of a 2x surge or greater on x to keep yourself busy in case select is slow. It's a tool that works multiple platforms that can make a profit on both of those platforms.
And the Altima is a clean green machine compared to an accord

·
Banned
2,293 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·

But what I really want to learn is, how the hell are you pulling in 150K a year on select, that's almost 200 miles a day 24/7/365? BTW, not trying to insult you in any way.
I'm not just a select driver. There are certain times select works well. Easy to get rides. But what about other times when it's slow out. 10am - 2pm. It's filling theses slots that keeps the turning wheels having paid rides.

I do allot of privates. More than 3 years driving. Square reader can be your best friends. I keep all tippers. If I drive a passenger and they don't tip, theyll never be my regular.

Life's too short for cheap people. As a driver. Hold out for the cream of the crop. Don't sell yourself short.

I'm not singling anyone out when I say this but over the years I've heard allot of complaints about other drivers and how unhappy allot of passengers are with their drivers.

Personality is key. Once they like you, they'll ask you if you can be there driver every time.

Second key. Know where you are going. You have to know the city. Through your communication with them make them feel at ease like you've been there done this before. Settle any concerns or anxiety they may have.

I recently had given a guy a quote from valley to lax $80. In itself, it's a good price. But I'm not cutting anyone in on it. He tried to negotiate to $70. Sorry, can't do. I want at least $2 net per mile. I let him go.

His brother emailed me today. Needs a ride to lax from agoura. Sorry, I'm booked. Can't be weak with these people. Sure he can get an Uberx for cheaper. But he doesn't know who's going to show up. When you're a regular driver they are comfortable with the way you drive. They trust you, they're comfortable with you and that has value.

If you want a .90 a mile driver, don't complain if youre not happy with the ride. You get what you pay for in life.

·
Premium Member
2,336 Posts
I would skip the A4. As much as I like Audis, too many problems. Too many problems with MBZs too. Same goes for all German cars. My neighbor has a MBZ loaner most of the time because his MBZ is in the shop all the time. Reliability is not as good as the Japanese cars.

·
Banned
2,293 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
My question on all of this is, Does Select have enough pings to actually cover the additional expense, even if one gets into a low cost, entry level luxury car?
That's where experience comes into play. Knowing where to be and when to be there.

It's not an easy game. But here's something to think about. If you're driving into the core to get your rides, remember that there are drivers that live in the core. They get more sleep, they do less driving, they don't have to drag themselves back home at the end of the day with a 30+ minute commute. They have the advantage over you if you have to commute in.

In the 3+ years I've been doing this gig, I can tell you these drivers turn over pretty fast. But there's already at least two that will replace the one that's quitting.

It's unfortunate for the veterans. Just when you think you're getting your market share back, the next morning you'll have two new drivers circling your car trying to steal your ping. But don't worry, they'll be gone in 3 weeks when they realize it costs them $60 a day in gas between their commute and the endless driving up and down streets hoping there phone pings at them.

Do I think there's a market for select. I do. Many use it. And many of them use it because of a bad Uberx experience. But unfortunately, many of those bad Uberx drivers are driving select cars now. So the select reputation is taking a hit.

Explains why uber is going to have performance limits on the upper categories for select, black, lux and SUV. If people are paying a premium then they deserve to have a higher rates driver.

1 - 20 of 101 Posts