Uber Drivers Forum banner
1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Premium Member
23,297 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I rolled up to the corner at 2am in DTLA...passenger was shown to be by the taco truck across the street, surrounded by 40-50 bar closers milling about. Just as I called him a mini-riot broke out that spilled into the intersection. There were 8 or 9 including females. Everyone was fairly drunk, so nobody was landing any good blows. Passenger answered and I asked, Are you in that? He said, No thank goodness, I'm across the street from it. Looked to my right and he was standing right next to me. lol

The guy had another couple with him. They got in the back, but my App holder stood on the corner watching the min-riot. The female in the back seat called out for him to get in the car. He said Hold on a minute, this one guy has a knife or something. I'm thinking, You see the knife but not getting in!? Turns out it was an ex-con looking gang-banger holding a screw driver at his side. That guy meant business. Someone in the crowd yelled, He has a knife! The mini-riot stopped with that and Mr. Ex-con guy strutted around like he was the Police or something.

My passenger got in and we motored off to Long Beach on a 3.2x surge. (This was a year ago.)

And, this is why I ALWAYS park a good 100 yards away from street pick ups until I can determine where the passenger actually is...

·
Registered
1,045 Posts
I rolled up to the corner at 2am in DTLA...passenger was shown to be by the taco truck across the street, surrounded by 40-50 bar closers milling about. Just as I called him a mini-riot broke out that spilled into the intersection. There were 8 or 9 including females. Everyone was fairly drunk, so nobody was landing any good blows. Passenger answered and I asked, Are you in that? He said, No thank goodness, I'm across the street from it. Looked to my right and he was standing right next to me. lol

The guy had another couple with him. They got in the back, but my App holder stood on the corner watching the min-riot. The female in the back seat called out for him to get in the car. He said Hold on a minute, this one guy has a knife or something. I'm thinking, You see the knife but not getting in!? Turns out it was an ex-con looking gang-banger holding a screw driver at his side. That guy meant business. Someone in the crowd yelled, He has a knife! The mini-riot stopped with that and Mr. Ex-con guy strutted around like he was the Police or something.

My passenger got in and we motored off to Long Beach on a 3.2x surge. (This was a year ago.)

And, this is why I ALWAYS park a good 100 yards away from street pick ups until I can determine where the passenger actually is...
First year doing UBERX (2013), and I don't have a clue about after-hours places. I get a ping at Alvarado just north of the 101. Like a good little UBERX driver I parked as close as I could to the entrance at 5 A.M. BIG mistake. Without knowing, I had backed myself into a dangerous parking spot with no escape. I text the passenger that I'm outside. He texts me back that he'll be, "2 minutes." In the mean time, people are rushing out of the door right in front of me. A huge brawl breaks out with several big black guys punching each other and everyone yelling and screaming around them. I start to hear the police sirens and realize I'm in a bad spot. By now, people are fighting on my hood! I start to pull out without hitting or running anyone over. Luckily the dead-end street I was on was short and I got to Alvarado quickly. Burned some rubber in a Prius! LAPD swarmed the place as I saw the fight spill onto Alvarado. All I heard were screams as I scrammed the hell out of there.

·
Registered
637 Posts
Picked up a white fella with a shaved head and tattoos at union station once at 2AM.

He had just arrived from Vegas and was going to Sylmar

I was 2 months into the uber gig and accepted at 1.8 surge!

Whole way kept saying that he needed to "visit" his parents and he never got around to it. He just had a backpack with him.

The whole 30 minutes I just kept thinking, this is my last 30 minutes alive on this earth. sent all my loved ones a screen shot of his destination and information when he was getting cigarettes at 7/11 and said my goodbyes.

Turned out I lived and he even tipped me $3.00

·
Registered
1,960 Posts
I picked up a nervous guy who seemed really out of it and sorta lost, he came up to me and ask me to wait, came back a minute later, got in, thanked me, apologized, ask me if I'm his driver, then gave me turn by turn directions (old app, this was over a year ago, didn't need an adress and no need to bother uber about route and time back then) told me a long story about losing someone close while so nervous he was shaking like he was about to have a heart attack, apologized some more for going so far, explaining he has to do this but he doesn't have a car of his own, (don't know whatever "it" is) arrive at a closed tattoo parlor, he says wait here..

Now sweating and appearing exhausted he got out and knocked on the back door, I wait 15 minutes wondering what could be going down and if I should just drive off

He walks out and gets in, I take him back to pick up location, the whole way he worryingly explained how he didn't wanna barrow this (I think he barowed money from whoever was in the tattoo place) and that he just doesn't have any other option, and that he just needs to fix this...

I still have no idea what he's describing, he was so lost in worry that he repeated all of the above several times without relizing it, we got back and he thanked me profusely for my help and gave me a tip, then started rambling nervously some more, I stoped him and said: hey! You got it done right (whatever "it" was), as long as you don't give up every step in the right direction helps, so don't give up, ok?

Him: right your right, yeah, I gotta keep moving, I, I..

Me: Hey, it's alright man, as long as you don't give up

He jumps back to repetitive thanking me but I stopped him again and said, it's getting late, so good luck with things, ok?

He said right thanks!!! And Turned back to his building and walked quickly and frantically away

I hit the gas and got far away from there quickly

I wouldn't do any of that now, I felt sorry for what ever it was he was going through, but now it's different, after all the crazy things I've seen while driving I'm way more cautious, still feel for desperate people, just not willing to be dragged into it

·
Premium Member
63,041 Posts
I got one ,a pick up at an expensive 5 star hotel in New Orleans. He had set his destination for Frenchmen Street. Was 2:00 am on a tuesday. I think.
He gets in the car telling me Merle Haggard had just died. Well dressed clean cut white guy in a suit. Acted as if I were responsible for Merle Haggard death. Acted very strange and aggressive,obviously emotionally distraught. Demanded to be taken to some place that played country music at 2 a.m. There was none.
Dumped him off on Frenchman Street to a slammed door.
Hard to describe here,the guy was off. Just wanted him out of my car and away from.me. Big stick of dynamite with short fuse. The guy acted deranged. One of the few people in my life,in my Uber experience who made me feel uncomfortable just being around.

·
Registered
1,045 Posts

While waiting at one of my usual spots in the valley, the Van Nuys Airport Fly-Away at 3 A.M., I got a ping from a "Mary" over on Hayvenhurst by the private jet terminal. O.K. I'll take it.

As I pull up on the dark, empty street, I see this skinny little Hispanic dude in a raggedy T-shirt hanging out on the street by himself. I bust a U-turn and pull up next to him since he's the only person in sight.

"What's your name?" He tells me Pablo. I say I got an UBER request from Mary. He says, "Yeah, yeah, she ordered the car for me."

The destination showed Northridge Hospital. I ask him, "What's going on?" He says, "It's an emergency. I have to go get treatment. I'm sick. I'm an alcoholic." I'm thinking, "Oh shvt! Who the F is this character!"

"O.K. I'll take you there. Just DO NOT GET SICK IN MY CAR!!!"

As this guy is bent over and moaning in my backseat, I start playing UBER-DOCTOR. "What else are you on? Do you do any drugs?" He tells me just alcohol.

After a few blocks he opens the window and starts spitting outside my door. I tell him, "NO! Do not spit on my car! STOP!" I pull over and grab one of the many plastic bags that I keep in my seat pockets for these kinds of emergencies. I tell him, "Here. Use the bag." He starts to vomit into the bag just outside my back door.

I tell him, "You're in bad shape. Why don't you call an ambulance?" He tells me, "They won't come get me anymore. I've called so many times. The won't come anymore."

Just freakin' great. Now I'm UBER-AMBULANCE for this train-wreck of a passenger. I tell him, "Keep that bag close to your mouth. Do not get vomit in my car."

Luckily, the ride was not to long. I pull up to the Emergency Only entrance and he tells me, "Stop. Just pull over to the side. I'll walk in. They know me already."

He manages to get out of the car. And luckily he didn't leave any vomit behind.

L.A. is full of crazy nut-zo stories like this.

Good thread OP.

·
Premium Member
23,297 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
I got one ,a pick up at an expensive 5 star hotel in New Orleans. He had set his destination for Frenchmen Street. Was 2:00 am on a tuesday. I think.
He gets in the car telling me Merle Haggard had just died. Well dressed clean cut white guy in a suit. Acted as if I were responsible for Merle Haggard death. Acted very strange and aggressive,obviously emotionally distraught. Demanded to be taken to some place that played country music at 2 a.m. There was none.
Dumped him off on Frenchman Street to a slammed door.
Hard to describe here,the guy was off. Just wanted him out of my car and away from.me. Big stick of dynamite with short fuse. The guy acted deranged. One of the few people in my life,in my Uber experience who made me feel uncomfortable just being around.
It was most likely Merle's manager o_O

His gravy train coming to an abrupt end...:confused:

·
Premium Member
23,297 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
While waiting at one of my usual spots in the valley, the Van Nuys Airport Fly-Away at 3 A.M., I got a ping from a "Mary" over on Hayvenhurst by the private jet terminal. O.K. I'll take it.

As I pull up on the dark, empty street, I see this skinny little Hispanic dude in a raggedy T-shirt hanging out on the street by himself. I bust a U-turn and pull up next to him since he's the only person in sight.

"What's your name?" He tells me Pablo. I say I got an UBER request from Mary. He says, "Yeah, yeah, she ordered the car for me."

The destination showed Northridge Hospital. I ask him, "What's going on?" He says, "It's an emergency. I have to go get treatment. I'm sick. I'm an alcoholic." I'm thinking, "Oh shvt! Who the F is this character!"

"O.K. I'll take you there. Just DO NOT GET SICK IN MY CAR!!!"

As this guy is bent over and moaning in my backseat, I start playing UBER-DOCTOR. "What else are you on? Do you do any drugs?" He tells me just alcohol.

After a few blocks he opens the window and starts spitting outside my door. I tell him, "NO! Do not spit on my car! STOP!" I pull over and grab one of the many plastic bags that I keep in my seat pockets for these kinds of emergencies. I tell him, "Here. Use the bag." He starts to vomit into the bag just outside my back door.

I tell him, "You're in bad shape. Why don't you call an ambulance?" He tells me, "They won't come get me anymore. I've called so many times. The won't come anymore."

Just freakin' great. Now I'm UBER-AMBULANCE for this train-wreck of a passenger. I tell him, "Keep that bag close to your mouth. Do not get vomit in my car."

Luckily, the ride was not to long. I pull up to the Emergency Only entrance and he tells me, "Stop. Just pull over to the side. I'll walk in. They know me already."

He manages to get out of the car. And luckily he didn't leave any vomit behind.

L.A. is full of crazy nut-zo stories like this.

Good thread OP.
You probably know this, but people die quite often from alcohol detox...it's the most serious of all detox. :eek:

·
Registered
1,045 Posts
You probably know this, but people die quite often from alcohol detox...it's the most serious of all detox. :eek:
Yup, I was amazed that he was even walking and talking. He was a complete wreck. He was having violent convulsions and I managed to not only get him to the ER, but also keep my car clean. Funny, how that UBERX instinct kicks in when vomit comes into the equation.

1 - 20 of 53 Posts