Uber Drivers Forum banner
41 - 59 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #41 ·
So I went to the office today and asked about the Certificate. It is the safety check to sell your car. This replaces the uber check list. This is required for all Toronto Drivers by July 15. Also Canadian Tire is doing the inspections for free till the end of June only in the GTA. Just have to say that you are a Uber driver. Uber will pay. But If you go to somewhere else it would cost about 100 bucks plus. This also includes all new cars that are even coming off the lot.

·
Registered
582 Posts
Just Comeback from CT (Dundas-Mavis)
Without any appointment
Result: Pass
Free of Charge (After June 30, 2016: $60 cad plus tax)
Only 30 min inspection (SSC): 09:00 AM - 09:30 AM
Very friendly..
Thank you Mr. Marcus..

·
Registered
400 Posts
Well I am up to date with my safety. I went to a local mechanic, timing was right, I got a flyer just shortly after I needed a check engine light looked after, so decided to give him a try. As I thought with my OBDII $10 ebay scanner, it was emissions related, which needed factory part to fix. Labour charge was very reasonable, so told him to just go ahead and do the Safety ($50, although he said normally $100, but since they already had the car, up on hoist, etc.). I know CanTire is free, but time is money, he already had my car and I trust this guy more than CanTire. Said brakes needed replacing (which they did, showed me the brake pads), and super cheap! Under $325 for both parts (front/rear pads) & labour. :eek: I almost couldn't believe it!! I figure my factory German dealer would have charged me at least 5x that amount. Mind you this guy didn't give me a "free" car wash or give me "free" coffee like my German dealer, but than again all I want to do is pay for the repair/maintenance not subsidize a fancy showroom & salary of receptionist/greeter, service advisor, technician, and everyone else up the food chain...

·
Premium Member
333 Posts
I also receive this email today. Uber wants us to upload the safety standards certificate inspection from Canadian tire or any accredited mechanics. But I have to wait for the new insurance requirements before going through the safety inspection. If the insurance requirements doesn't work for me, then I'll stop uberring.

·
Premium Member
333 Posts
Well I am up to date with my safety. I went to a local mechanic, timing was right, I got a flyer just shortly after I needed a check engine light looked after, so decided to give him a try. As I thought with my OBDII $10 ebay scanner, it was emissions related, which needed factory part to fix. Labour charge was very reasonable, so told him to just go ahead and do the Safety ($50, although he said normally $100, but since they already had the car, up on hoist, etc.). I know CanTire is free, but time is money, he already had my car and I trust this guy more than CanTire. Said brakes needed replacing (which they did, showed me the brake pads), and super cheap! Under $325 for both parts (front/rear pads) & labour. :eek: I almost couldn't believe it!! I figure my factory German dealer would have charged me at least 5x that amount. Mind you this guy didn't give me a "free" car wash or give me "free" coffee like my German dealer, but than again all I want to do is pay for the repair/maintenance not subsidize a fancy showroom & salary of receptionist/greeter, service advisor, technician, and everyone else up the food chain...
Good for you, at least 1 requirement down. You only need to have a rideshare insurance (2 Million Liability) if you want to continue uberring after July 15th. Intact did not yet publicized its insurance for Uber drivers. We have to wait before this inspection. If the new insurance is too stiff, then at least I did not go for the safety inspection yet and will stop uberring anyways.

·
Registered
400 Posts
Good for you, at least 1 requirement down. You only need to have a rideshare insurance (2 Million Liability) if you want to continue uberring after July 15th. Intact did not yet publicized its insurance for Uber drivers. We have to wait before this inspection. If the new insurance is too stiff, then at least I did not go for the safety inspection yet and will stop uberring anyways.
Don't wait too long for new inspection. It might be worth your while to just go get it and have it in case you want it. Keep in mind only free until end of June, so be careful due to other procrastinators there might be a mad rush at the end of June. If you miss end of June deadline, new safety rules come into play. Going to be harder to pass and also more expensive (Uber definitely won't pay for that...).

·
Premium Member
333 Posts
Don't wait too long for new inspection. It might be worth your while to just go get it and have it in case you want it. Keep in mind only free until end of June, so be careful due to other procrastinators there might be a mad rush at the end of June. If you miss end of June deadline, new safety rules come into play. Going to be harder to pass and also more expensive (Uber definitely won't pay for that...).
I'm aware of the timing, but the thing is, are you still gonna Uber without the new rideshare insurance with 2 million liability? For me, this should have been the first update that Uber should have sent us rather than inspection. Getting and being approved in inspection especially if you have a newer car like mine (2014 model) is easy rather than applying a new rideshare insurance from Intact.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Ok hold on. Did you guys all go into a Canadian tire and they just literally did it for Free? As in, no money was exchanging hands.....Two of my local Canadian Tires said I pay them and then Uber pays me as a reimbursement.... wtf. This is properly aggravating.

·
Premium Member
8,270 Posts
Ok hold on. Did you guys all go into a Canadian tire and they just literally did it for Free? As in, no money was exchanging hands.....Two of my local Canadian Tires said I pay them and then Uber pays me as a reimbursement.... wtf. This is properly aggravating.
Not only did I not pay. They didn't even ask to see my app.

·
Premium Member
333 Posts
I finally did mine in Sheppherd/McCowan branch. I did not pay any cent but I showed my app. Also, my 2014 car passed and the certificate was already uploaded. I had my inspection just in case the Insurance terms and condition works well with us part timers.

·
Registered
25 Posts
No charge for me..they just wanted to see my app. I guess you need to choose the location from the list of available CT service shops. Maybe not all of them are aware/ not part of this safety, exclusively for Uber. They give a receipt too for 67(with hst). Didn't charge a dime though.

41 - 59 of 59 Posts