Uber Drivers Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
friend of mine and I had discussion last night about driving Uber and being a part of fast food management...you have driving Uber on one side and being manager of the fast food store on the other side which is 50hrs ( more likely 60), 5 daysX10-12 hrs, pay is 49000$ a year....in my opinion driving Uber is better option, in his it's fast food and having salary so I would love to hear your opinions....thank you!

·
Registered
605 Posts
I think more than anything it's 1: how smart/lazy you are 2: and how your body is made

1. If you know how to do tax write offs your tax liability will be significantly lower with Uber. If you can tactfully request tips you'll get tax free income flowing in. Understanding surge patterns or for XL/SELECT drivers knowing where you market lives/works/plays mean Uber pays way more than 10-12 an hour.

Here Uber hands down if you're smart and not lazy

2. Spinal compression means a 50 hr work week is murder and not an option. On the other hand those suffering from blood clots sitting in a car for 20-50 hrs will literally kill you.

Here it depends

Oh and of course Uber won't have you smelling like you work in a fast food restaurant.

So long as you can keep a seat warm Uber hands down

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I agree with you pretty much...My point, the point that my friend doesn't see, is only good thing with that fast food is that guaranteed salary, everything else is not even close to sweet. I am not saying that Uber full time is something amazing but if you are smart enough can be better than being part of some chain

·
Banned
640 Posts
Fast food likely has health insurance and some other benefits.

Another answer is if you have a nice car and keep it clean, build your own business and clientele. As I said in another post, I made over $1100 this week and only drove 27 hours. I only did a couple of rides with Uber/Lyft. All others were my customers that pay with Square or cash. Every single customer tips 20%, sometimes more. I had 2 airport pickups around 9 pm back to my area of the suburbs. One customer gave me $80 cash for a $60 trip. I know everyone of my customers and most of their family. If I am not available they use Uber as a backup, but rarely am I not available. I almost always do >$800-900 a week, but this week was a good week and I had 3 referrals that were new. Best thing is, I don't do events, unless a customer ask me to take them, and we prearrange a pickup location away from the gridlock. I don't do bars, late nights, drunks, etc.

It isn't that hard, but after doing this for 1 year, I have a comfortable income to go with my retirement. And yes, I pay a little extra for commercial insurance because I have the business model and steady stream of income to support it. I use Uber destination to take care of the deadhead miles.

·
Registered
9,688 Posts
$1000 a week to manage a restaurant 50 hours a week?

You think that Uber is better? Most people in Atlanta that claim to earn $1000 (on X) is running well over 50 hours, plus they still have to pay for fuel and extra maintenance on their vehicle.

While a restaurant manager isn't my ideal job, I'd take that over full time Uber any day. Health care and free food too?

He can always do Uber once a week to make extra cash, but I wouldn't drop that for Uber. At least he's a manager.

·
Premium Member
6,501 Posts
A restaurant manager seems like a job and work. I have driven Uber full time and part time for 2.5 years and not a moment has felt like work for me. (I knew when I started that destroying the vehicles for low pay was part of it). I would never recommend driving Uber with a car payment, without an emergency fund or in a vehicle you actually need.

·
Registered
132 Posts
I don't see how driving would be a better option. The manager is getting health benefits, 401Ks, other perks and paid vacation time. With Uber you would have to kill yourself with hours and wearing out your car just to get the pay without the other perks. There's really no argument.

·
Registered
227 Posts
I managed Arby's restaurants for 3 years, a long time ago. I drove full time for Uber/Lyft last year. Tell your friend to stick with management. His benefits out weigh the flexibility of rideshare. The good thing is he can do both. Uber's minimum requirement is to pick up 1 person every 30 days. Last night I Ubered from 11pm-4am and made $78(before expenses). That will go up slightly with the guarantees they had last night. Uber is ok for a side gig. Just ok.

·
Registered
396 Posts
Managing a restaurant is easy because you have those team leads and assistants to do all the work while you collect that 50k sporting a mid level challenger, while texting your SO and watching cat videos. The only thing that causes it harder than Uber is you have to BS your way to become a manager.

·
Registered
52 Posts
$1000 a week to manage a restaurant 50 hours a week?

You think that Uber is better? Most people in Atlanta that claim to earn $1000 (on X) is running well over 50 hours, plus they still have to pay for fuel and extra maintenance on their vehicle.

While a restaurant manager isn't my ideal job, I'd take that over full time Uber any day. Health care and free food too?

He can always do Uber once a week to make extra cash, but I wouldn't drop that for Uber. At least he's a manager.
300% agree...I made the mistake of quitting my job for Uber full time...some weeks are good other weeks my wife has to chip in for my part of the bills...not good..no health insurance, car has to be maintenance every month...need tires about twice a year...everyday thinking of how can I earn more is weighing on me..

·
Banned
640 Posts
A restaurant manager seems like a job and work. I have driven Uber full time and part time for 2.5 years and not a moment has felt like work for me. (I knew when I started that destroying the vehicles for low pay was part of it). I would never recommend driving Uber with a car payment, without an emergency fund or in a vehicle you actually need.
We get it. You're preaching to people who use instant pay multiple times a day.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thank You guys for your advices and time to post your messages...Just to make sure that I was specific enough it's a fast food restaurant, quick service, I mean it's not some kind of secret it's Bojangles...guy from Atlanta is franchise owner, he has 8 location and opening additional 7 this year, very agresive on market...I mean If that or similar position fits anyone here they are hiring...one again thank you all

·
Registered
269 Posts
I could sure use that type of opportunity right now. Sheesh.

Thank You guys for your advices and time to post your messages...Just to make sure that I was specific enough it's a fast food restaurant, quick service, I mean it's not some kind of secret it's Bojangles...guy from Atlanta is franchise owner, he has 8 location and opening additional 7 this year, very agresive on market...I mean If that or similar position fits anyone here they are hiring...one again thank you all

·
Registered
135 Posts
I agree that Uber is far away from good especially full time but on the other side fast food chain is also modern slavery, don't be blind with numbers or do the whole mathematics...49000 a year...year has 52 week so that is 942$ before taxes ( 1884$ bi-weekly ).... minus taxes and 1/2 for health insurance ( approximately 150$ )....in fast food chains there is no 401k...you will take home around 1350-1400$ on two weeks depends how many allowances you have...all fast food chains have 50+ hours for managers ( in real life that's usually 60hours ) and full availability meaning if your store is short on labor on certain day ( due to any reason) you must find the way to cover it or you are coming to the store...step by step we came to around 12-13$ per hour .... again it's 12-13$ clean ( don't need to pay taxes, gas, maintenance) but there is no "your own schedule " and you are very changeable meaning sales go down you are out, upper management will do everything to suck your blood as much as they can...so at the end of day there is no difference between Uber and fast food.... negeorgia said something that I think is very true and in that case I would choose Uber ( no boss but only until you find decent job ) having second car for Uber and emergency money

·
Registered
9,688 Posts
I agree that Uber is far away from good especially full time but on the other side fast food chain is also modern slavery, don't be blind with numbers or do the whole mathematics...49000 a year...year has 52 week so that is 942$ before taxes ( 1884$ bi-weekly ).... minus taxes and 1/2 for health insurance ( approximately 150$ )....in fast food chains there is no 401k...you will take home around 1350-1400$ on two weeks depends how many allowances you have...all fast food chains have 50+ hours for managers ( in real life that's usually 60hours ) and full availability meaning if your store is short on labor on certain day ( due to any reason) you must find the way to cover it or you are coming to the store...step by step we came to around 12-13$ per hour .... again it's 12-13$ clean ( don't need to pay taxes, gas, maintenance) but there is no "your own schedule " and you are very changeable meaning sales go down you are out, upper management will do everything to suck your blood as much as they can...so at the end of day there is no difference between Uber and fast food.... negeorgia said something that I think is very true and in that case I would choose Uber ( no boss but only until you find decent job ) having second car for Uber and emergency money
So Uber isn't as evil as everyone thought?

Simply that it's a low tier income source that requires very little advanced skills to perform...?

1 - 20 of 26 Posts