Uber Drivers Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

· Registered
454 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I started out yesterday around lunchtime, heading toward Ybor. Got a ping for a ride around 50th St & Broadway Ave. with rider shown as being North of I-4, 7 mins away. Indicated it would be a 33 minute trip. I go up there. Get to the house, wait out front.

After we're in the " charging for waiting time " period - front door opens up - and a small boy, wearing sweats, pajama top, carrying a blanket - comes running out to the car. At the same moment, my phone rings - it was his mother. She tells me she is " giving permission" for me to take this kid wherever the hell he needed to go. HELL NO !! The poor kid even got my rear door open before I hit the lock button. I admit, I was loud to the kid, definitely told him NO !! Then I read the riot act to the mother. She didn't even come out to speak to me, she was inside the front door, behind the glass storm door - taking to me on her cell. I am thinking, it was probably to Gibsonton or Riverview. .

What kind of effin' imbecile takes a 7 or 8 year old little boy, and instructs him to get into a car with a stranger ?? I told her it was not only against Uber rules, but also against the LAW. I cancelled, and was given a boost for my next trip to kinda make up for it. I suspect her next move might have been to try another, different driver. I even considered hanging out - to warn off any other drivers that showed up.

I am still deciding whether to call Child Protective Services on this loser-bimbo. So angry over this. OK, some underage passengers might be high-school seniors - they MIGHT be 18 - judgement call. But this - a 7 / 8 year old - CRIMINALLY NEGLIGENT. Plain and simple.

· Premium Member
7,220 Posts
So I started out yesterday around lunchtime, heading toward Ybor. Got a ping for a ride around 50th St & Broadway Ave. with rider shown as being North of I-4, 7 mins away. Indicated it would be a 33 minute trip. I go up there. Get to the house, wait out front.

After we're in the " charging for waiting time " period - front door opens up - and a small boy, wearing sweats, pajama top, carrying a blanket - comes running out to the car. At the same moment, my phone rings - it was his mother. She tells me she is " giving permission" for me to take this kid wherever the hell he needed to go. HELL NO !! The poor kid even got my rear door open before I hit the lock button. I admit, I was loud to the kid, definitely told him NO !! Then I read the riot act to the mother. She didn't even come out to speak to me, she was inside the front door, behind the glass storm door - taking to me on her cell. I am thinking, it was probably to Gibsonton or Riverview. .

What kind of effin' imbecile takes a 7 or 8 year old little boy, and instructs him to get into a car with a stranger ?? I told her it was not only against Uber rules, but also against the LAW. I cancelled, and was given a boost for my next trip to kinda make up for it. I suspect her next move might have been to try another, different driver. I even considered hanging out - to warn off any other drivers that showed up.

I am still deciding whether to call Child Protective Services on this loser-bimbo. So angry over this. OK, some underage passengers might be high-school seniors - they MIGHT be 18 - judgement call. But this - a 7 / 8 year old - CRIMINALLY NEGLIGENT. Plain and simple.
No excuse for this.

Pat on the back for doing the right thing. Sadly, some would have taken the fare.

· Premium Member
11,893 Posts

You shouldn't have shouted at the kid. Kids that age don't understand. Shout at mom, though, by all means.

· Registered
2,114 Posts

It isn't against the law in Florida, it just violates Uber and Lyft rules.

When I first started I got a ride request at about 7 a.m. to a very affluent neighborhood in Safety Harbor. I arrived and there are two children standing in the driveway, probably about 6 and 7. I didn't know at the time that we couldn't take minors, so I loaded them into the car, started the trip, and found I was taking them to a private school. Mom or dad did not open the door, peek out the window or call me during the loading process. They never got a look at me or my car and they never communicated with me. I could have been anybody pulling up in their driveway loading up their children, and I just drove off with them.

Three years later it still bothers me.

· Premium Member
391 Posts
I had a couple with an infant yell at me for not taking them when they didn't have a carseat. The dad called me a b---- and said "what are we supposed to do, carry a f---ing carseat around with us"? After telling him YES that's what good parents do, I cancelled and went around the corner to leave. It was a tight vacation spot going into Clearwater and was 1 way. So I waited and caught the next 2 Uber's to tell them what to expect. They cancelled & left too. It made me feel so much better!!

· Banned
3,959 Posts
I had a couple with an infant yell at me for not taking them when they didn't have a carseat. The dad called me a b---- and said "what are we supposed to do, carry a f---ing carseat around with us"? After telling him YES that's what good parents do, I cancelled and went around the corner to leave. It was a tight vacation spot going into Clearwater and was 1 way. So I waited and caught the next 2 Uber's to tell them what to expect. They cancelled & left too. It made me feel so much better!!
Love it!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.