Uber Drivers Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
2,962 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Mom in a big rush to get her under 7 (can you tell the difference between 6 and 7?) child to day-care before going to work without a child car seat. Maybe she offers a tip, but probably not. Should an UberX or XL even start the ride? Should you tell her to order UberBlack or UberSelect that probably carries a child car seat? Accept the risk and take them anyway? What would you do? What if she clutches the child tightly instead of using a seat belt?

The Driver will be held responsible if stopped by a cop and issued a ticket with a fine. You are taking a risk by transporting young kids without proper restraint. Laws vary by state (as has been noted above). If there is an accident resulting to the child's injury then expect worse consequences. Learn the law in every state that you drive.
Here is the current, relevant law. It may change any time the legislature is in session.

CONNECTICUT
  • Children over 7 years of age who weigh more than 60 lbs. must be in a seat belt.
  • Children under age 7 and less than 60 lbs. are required to use a child restraint. Children who ride in a booster seat must use a lap and shoulder belt.
  • Children under age 1 and under 20 lbs. are required to be in a rear-facing child restraint.
  • Children riding in a vehicle without lap and shoulder belts are exempt from complying with the booster seat requirement.
  • Violation of the child restraint law is a standard offense. Fine $60 plus a mandatory child restraint education program for first or second violation.
MASSACHUSETTS
  • Children age 8 through age 12 shall use an appropriate child restraint or wear a safety belt that is properly adjusted and fastened.
  • Children under age 8 and less than 4 feet 9 inches tall shall be properly fastened and secured by a child restraint system.
  • Violation of the child restraint law is a standard offense. Fine $25 law states no preference for rear seat.
NEW YORK
  • All children ages 8 to 16 must wear a seat belt in all seats.
  • All children ages 4 until 8, or under 4 and over 40 lbs., must be restrained in a booster seat.
  • Children under age 4 and under 40 lbs. must be restrained in a child restraint system.
  • Violation of the child restraint law is a standard offense. Fine $100 plus points for violations.
Your insurer may choose to increase your rates. Variations by insurer and by state. Uber may decide to deactivate. Uber's current NYC policy does not make clear if driver is required to have child car seat or if there is a similar Connecticut policy. https://help.uber.com/h/3abcbae1-132b-42a9-8277-0dab00fa3879

Main forum thread:https://uberpeople.net/threads/young-children-in-car-no-child-car-seats.14924/
Older Thread: https://uberpeople.net/threads/ct-uber-drivers-do-you-enforce-the-child-car-seat-laws.133627/

·
Registered
2,962 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
I weigh all the kids before they get in my car. As long as they are over 60 lbs good to go. Last kid was 59.5 lbs. I made him drink 3 bottles of water and a handful of mints. Weighed him again 60.1 lbs! away we went
LOL :) How much water would a 3 year old need to drink? 2? 1? Is this your baby scale?

Also, do you feel that the "risk/reward" is acceptably small?
Cops may not hassle on a traffic stop unless the child is very young or there's a quota.

·
Registered
403 Posts
I dont carry any children without the correct car seat

This is one of the most serious DMV violations -

First if you just get stopped in CT you need to attend a class or your license is suspended

Second if you are involved in any accident and the child is inured DCF will be involved and you will possibly pick up a felony charge of rick of injury to a minor

It is up to the passenger to have the correct car seat with them for the child they want to transport

No amount of money is worth risking the health and future of a young helpless child who may be seriously injured in a minor accident that is not even your fault

·
Registered
491 Posts
LOL :) How much water would a 3 year old need to drink? 2? 1? Is this your baby scale?

Cops may not hassle on a traffic stop unless the child is very young or there's a quota.
I'm real close to totally being dun. accidents, tickets, 6 college kids stuffed in, baby seats or someone's kid getting hurt, had guy fall getting into my car. For $10 gross before my costs. Maybe drive Friday Saturday 2am drunk surge crowd occasionally. Too much risk liability for $7 an hour.

·
Registered
403 Posts
I'm real close to totally being dun. accidents, tickets, 6 college kids stuffed in, baby seats or someone's kid getting hurt, had guy fall getting into my car. For $10 gross before my costs. Maybe drive Friday Saturday 2am drunk surge crowd occasionally. Too much risk liability for $7 an hour.
Welcome to Travis's vision of a "hard year" I guess he is a huge success it has been a hard year indeed

The culture of uber has gone down hill big time in the last two years

I feel like I am being used and abused

·
Registered
491 Posts
Welcome to Travis's vision of a "hard year" I guess he is a huge success it has been a hard year indeed

The culture of uber has gone down hill big time in the last two years

I feel like I am being used and abused
Just a business decision. Everyone seems to take this personally. Really sucks if depending on the money. I'm lucky financially ok not "forced" to work. I have little bit of assets. If drivers don't have any assets not as much at risk.

·
Registered
1,429 Posts
Get into an accident and the kid dies, prison. Just tell her nogo. I had a mom crying, how she gonna get fired. I'm sorry and drove away. I have been conversating with my local rep to add that requirement into the legislation ( plus have handicap vehicles available).

This needs to be addressed.

·
Registered
403 Posts
Get into an accident and the kid dies, prison. Just tell her nogo. I had a mom crying, how she gonna get fired. I'm sorry and drove away. I have been conversating with my local rep to add that requirement into the legislation ( plus have handicap vehicles available).

This needs to be addressed.
This does not need to be addressed - it already is outlined in the CT MV laws per the OP who has listed the rules and the mandatory class you have to take for a violation

Just as speeding with a passenger in the car does not need to be addressed either - it is already against the law

Bottom line

If you want to be successful at this you have to know the rules of the road and follow them

it is sad but true that uber employs a fleet of morons who would not only transport infants without car seats - they also picked up 9 teens including my Daughter for a homecomming dance in a 6 seater XL

The reality is that they have a fleet of buffons

no offense to you bad drivers out there but they need to take the bottom 10% worst rated drivers and just deactivate them for starters

of course they dont deactivate anyone in CT for poor ratings

it takes a false customer complaint by a customer looking for a free ride or credit to get you deactivated here in CT

Uber is a real joke

I can not tell you how many times I have cancelled on people with infants and sat and watched as the next happy uber driver came by and picked them up with no car seat and took them away as fast as they could to earn that $3.00 min fare

Idiots are so stupid they dont realize that the cancelation fee of $3.80 is more than the $3.00 ride they are in such a rush to do and they dont have to risk getting a ticket

Not to mention to risk of serious injury to an infant in the event of any accident

Buffons

More bad press is headed ubers way only a matter of time sooner or later some infant is going to get hurt and you know it will be on the front page of the news

·
Premium Member
63,086 Posts
I weigh all the kids before they get in my car. As long as they are over 60 lbs good to go. Last kid was 59.5 lbs. I made him drink 3 bottles of water and a handful of mints. Weighed him again 60.1 lbs! away we went
LOL

Just a business decision. Everyone seems to take this personally. Really sucks if depending on the money. I'm lucky financially ok not "forced" to work. I have little bit of assets. If drivers don't have any assets not as much at risk.
When I was a kid, seatbelts got shoved into the seat crack so they would be out of the way.
The back dashboard was perfect for a nap on a long trip . . .
My school bus had rust holes in the floor you could fall through.
Everyone survived . . .

·
Registered
1,429 Posts
This does not need to be addressed - it already is outlined in the CT MV laws per the OP who has listed the rules and the mandatory class you have to take for a violation

Just as speeding with a passenger in the car does not need to be addressed either - it is already against the law

Bottom line

If you want to be successful at this you have to know the rules of the road and follow them

it is sad but true that uber employs a fleet of morons who would not only transport infants without car seats - they also picked up 9 teens including my Daughter for a homecomming dance in a 6 seater XL

The reality is that they have a fleet of buffons

no offense to you bad drivers out there but they need to take the bottom 10% worst rated drivers and just deactivate them for starters

of course they dont deactivate anyone in CT for poor ratings

it takes a false customer complaint by a customer looking for a free ride or credit to get you deactivated here in CT

Uber is a real joke

I can not tell you how many times I have cancelled on people with infants and sat and watched as the next happy uber driver came by and picked them up with no car seat and took them away as fast as they could to earn that $3.00 min fare

Idiots are so stupid they dont realize that the cancelation fee of $3.80 is more than the $3.00 ride they are in such a rush to do and they dont have to risk getting a ticket

Not to mention to risk of serious injury to an infant in the event of any accident

Buffons

More bad press is headed ubers way only a matter of time sooner or later some infant is going to get hurt and you know it will be on the front page of the news
You really need to condense into a paragraph or two.

·
Registered
11 Posts
OK , I just got off the phone with my attorney and he also happens to be a local town judge that deals with traffic laws everyday. And here's what he said.

According to; NYS Vehicle & Traffic Law Excerpts

§1229-c. Operation of vehicles with safety seats and safety belts.
9. Notwithstanding the provisions of subdivision four, this section shall not apply to taxis, liveries, and buses other than school buses.

He said, "drivers for hire (Uber drivers) fall under this interpretation of the law, until such time as a new law is written to specifically address this situation".

So my next question was, what if I do take an adult with a small child and no safety seat is available and I get stopped by a State Trooper? He said, show him the law and if he still issues you a ticket, the judge said, "I will defend you in court."

·
Registered
2,962 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Will you receive a cancel fee when the reason is "underage child without state mandated car seat"? Where exactly is that listed among the cancellation reasons? That assumes your empathy for plight of the mom is outweighed by your annoyance at the lost time and trouble caused by a mom that should have known better.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Good thing town judges are never wrong.
His point is well taken that when no specific law exists, then the courts must rely on the law that most closely addresses the issue. He did say that the NY legislature is working on a clarification of this law that will specifically address this issue and expects that it will be written to INCLUDE rideshare drivers in the same category as TLC and Taxi drivers.

·
Registered
2,962 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
His point is well taken that when no specific law exists, then the courts must rely on the law that most closely addresses the issue. He did say that the NY legislature is working on a clarification of this law that will specifically address this issue and expects that it will be written to INCLUDE rideshare drivers in the same category as TLC and Taxi drivers.
Many drivers like myself would prefer to drive instead of dealing with the time and expense of a court appearance and legal fees, even if victorious. Is your judge friend willing to mount this defense pro bono, for free? Did he guarantee victory or maybe the chances are 95% or 90%. Is he willing to pay the fine if the dice turn up craps, a 5-10% outcome? Will my insurance rates rise on a conviction? What about adjacent states like NY with points? What about for the rest of us that do not know this nice judge personally? How does the chance of victory change if entering court Pro Se, without a lawyer?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Many drivers like myself would prefer to drive instead of dealing with the time and expense of a court appearance and legal fees, even if victorious. Is your judge friend willing to mount this defense pro bono, for free? Did he guarantee victory or maybe the chances are 95% or 90%. Is he willing to pay the fine if the dice turn up craps, a 5-10% outcome? Will my insurance rates rise on a conviction? What about adjacent states like NY with points? What about for the rest of us that do not know this nice judge personally? How does the chance of victory change if entering court Pro Se, without a lawyer?
Your skepticism is noted, and we all know there are no absolute guarantees in life in general. But, I have no qualms about taking his legal advice. It has served me well for over 20 years. What others do is entirely up to them.

·
Registered
2,962 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Your skepticism is noted, and we all know there are no absolute guarantees in life in general. But, I have no qualms about taking his legal advice. It has served me well for over 20 years. What others do is entirely up to them.
I would probably feel the same as you do if I had a lawyer/Judge buddy like you describe. :) Unfortunately, most of us do not. :(

·
Registered
11 Posts
I would probably feel the same as you do if I had a lawyer/Judge buddy like you describe. :) Unfortunately, most of us do not. :(
Whether or not, he is my friend and attorney is of no consequence. He is stating typical law practice that judges use. When a specific law is not available to address an issue, then the court is bound to use the law that most closely fits the case. In this case at least in NY state, the law I quoted is that law. And his statement was, all judges would typically handle this the same way. He is also privy to what is happening in the legislature when it comes to legal matters, since he is the president of the New York Magistrates Association.

Having said all of that. I still say, each driver must do what they think is best for them.

I have printed out a copy of the statute and am prepared to show it to any law enforcement officer and quote specifically what the judge said if I am ever stopped for this. Because ignorance of the law is no excuse for me or for any police officer.

·
Registered
181 Posts

You seem to be overlooking the potential worst case scenario in which you lose everything you own and then some after said child/children get injured ( or worse ) in an accident and you are held personally responsible/legally liable/negligent, etc. etc. etc. all for a five dollar fare you didn't want to pass up
*btw, the only vehicle exempt from CT car seat law is a bus. I'm guessing you are not Ubering around in a bus

1 - 20 of 30 Posts