Uber Drivers Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I tried morning rush, I absolutely like nights better. I happen to like animated, social riders although I'm also fine with cell phone gazers or drowsy people.

As a full time night owl driver:
* GROUPS! Buddies, friends, BFFs, dates. They may engage me, or I may be a "fly on the wall" as they process whatever they are returning/recovering from. I'm partial to hearing palace intrigue from coworkers after some kind of work related event. Once I had two pool riders from Q-Bar in Darien decide to hook up, and then call it off, after the guy had me pull over so he could release gastric juices from his kisshole.
* Far less pedestrians, rarely enough, as in work rush, to delay turning corners
* No green arrow for left turn? No problem. (On the other hand what a pain arriving at a fresh red light at a barren 6-way intersection)
* Hardly any busses
* Virtually no construction crews, deliveries, city prettyfication workers
* No need for sunglasses
* Joggers downtown, and people carrying yoga mats

And last but not least, overnights I will see a smattering of dog walkers spread through the entire span of the shift. What I will NOT see is half a dozen downtown pooches in the 7 o'clock hour, crouching in mid-poop.

·
Registered
634 Posts
I’m with you dude, I made the switch in September and have never looked back. The only downside is the lane closures on 90/94, but once you know when they are coming easy to avoid.

·
Registered
1,747 Posts
90% of my driving is at night. You pretty much covered the bases as to the main "benefits/reasons" why I prefer night driving. It's a totally different vibe. You can actually hear the music you are playing when your windows are rolled down. I would also add the U-turns are pretty yours for the taking on almost any street except for a few streets in River North. After 12AM you can also drop off/pick up on State Street or Michigan without getting hassled by the City "muscle" folks.

I also drive Mondays from 2AM to 9 AM so I guess that's technically a night/day run---the traffic on Mondays after 6AM reminds me why I drive at night.

·
Banned
1,786 Posts
I tried morning rush, I absolutely like nights better. I happen to like animated, social riders although I'm also fine with cell phone gazers or drowsy people.

As a full time night owl driver:
* GROUPS! Buddies, friends, BFFs, dates. They may engage me, or I may be a "fly on the wall" as they process whatever they are returning/recovering from. I'm partial to hearing palace intrigue from coworkers after some kind of work related event. Once I had two pool riders from Q-Bar in Darien decide to hook up, and then call it off, after the guy had me pull over so he could release gastric juices from his kisshole.
* Far less pedestrians, rarely enough, as in work rush, to delay turning corners
* No green arrow for left turn? No problem. (On the other hand what a pain arriving at a fresh red light at a barren 6-way intersection)
* Hardly any busses
* Virtually no construction crews, deliveries, city prettyfication workers
* No need for sunglasses
* Joggers downtown, and people carrying yoga mats

And last but not least, overnights I will see a smattering of dog walkers spread through the entire span of the shift. What I will NOT see is half a dozen downtown pooches in the 7 o'clock hour, crouching in mid-poop.
go back to nights and get out of my way.

·
Registered
374 Posts
90% of my driving is at night. You pretty much covered the bases as to the main "benefits/reasons" why I prefer night driving. It's a totally different vibe. You can actually hear the music you are playing when your windows are rolled down. I would also add the U-turns are pretty yours for the taking on almost any street except for a few streets in River North. After 12AM you can also drop off/pick up on State Street or Michigan without getting hassled by the City "muscle" folks.

I also drive Mondays from 2AM to 9 AM so I guess that's technically a night/day run---the traffic on Mondays after 6AM reminds me why I drive at night.
True and also higher surges and better boosts. But you missed that downside that outweighs it, drunks and pukers!

·
Premium Member
3,106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
90% of my driving is at night. You pretty much covered the bases as to the main "benefits/reasons" why I prefer night driving. It's a totally different vibe. You can actually hear the music you are playing when your windows are rolled down. I would also add the U-turns are pretty yours for the taking on almost any street
Oh yes! U-ees are just about always possible.

I'm not one for driving in the city with my windows down...not that it's been decent weather for that too often anyway.

Another benefit, won't go into it but it's hydration related.

·
Registered
186 Posts
So is there a down time at all between 2-9 am?

At least I feel night before 12 is mediocre. You get rides, but no major surge above 1.5

·
Registered
3,584 Posts
Is not necessarily a provocative pejorative. Took me a minute to cotton to the term. Now with the vigor a TWD Savior, (I am Negan)
I declare. I am ant. Antman.
Imma proud ant. I'm a good ant and I still don't know how to milk no cows. (GWTW)

It's like the N word, brah.

Can be used to disparage or bond.

Ant nation unite.

Look at the cars---like ants, no?

Clearly, you had a childhood without the joy of ant hill demolition. Poor thang.

·
Premium Member
3,106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Clearly, you had a childhood without the joy of ant hill demolition. Poor thang.
Thanks, I understand the context, I still don't understand the underlying definition.

Where I come from we don't have ant hills (half a cup of sandy grains), we have ant mounds (a football sized metroplex, just about the size a shoe from Godzilla could demolish).

·
Registered
3,429 Posts
Last time I tried nights, a girl tried giving a guy a handjob in my back seat and I had her removed from the app. I hate it. 5am is my start time.

·
Registered
3,584 Posts
I'm a blockhead. Could be there is no such thing as an ant hill. They all mught be properly called mounds. lol who knows-

Ad nauseam apology for the ad hominem!

(Was overposting recovering from my PTSD Friday late late chit shift.)

It has been posted and pointed that the analogy makes no sense.

Especially, pejoratively.

Ants are god insects. The entire driveless car science is nothing but ant theory for machines.

They work till they die. Fits.
They march over the dead carcasses of fellow soldiers. Fits again.
They are hard working, labor till death and have herculean strength. Well, somedays!
They have uncanny instincts and strategy.

And on the lyft passenger app, to me, looking at fellow drivers. It looks like ants.....again.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts