Uber Drivers Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It now seems apparent that medallion taxis will be requesting a fare hike in April, the result of which will all go to the drivers. So even if this rate hike is 15% or more, this could upset the balance of power in the effort to attract drivers. Meanwhile, venture capitalists are realizing that Uber's days are numbered and are lining up to buy equity partnerships and lend money to Lyft. This could portend another rate drop for drivers in both Lyft and Uber as the race to the bottom in TNC's will continue unabated. Thoughts?

·
Registered
640 Posts
Don't think the passengers will even realize the Yellow rates went up...
They will complain first but will still use yellow!
All the airport rides , tourist , running late to work, train break downs, Fri/ Sat nights...
People' will still go on about their usual business ...
But I have not heard about any Yellow rates recently anywhere

·
Registered
754 Posts
yes and no, the rates are already pretty high honestly and at least myself for the current economy i don't complain, well Brooklyn being exception ;)
Only thing i don't like is the jfk flat rate, its okay at night or slow days but during insane traffic? forget it.
The fare is regulated and it is not high to meet today's standard livbing in nyc. I am pretty sure that yellow driver today is still making a decent living unless they are lazy. Unlike App company who don't give a shlt if driver make their ends need or not. and I am not supprise if yellow cab hike the rate for 15%. App company will go down 15% to lure more customer.

Don't think the passengers will even realize the Yellow rates went up...
They will complain first but will still use yellow!
All the airport rides , tourist , running late to work, train break downs, Fri/ Sat nights...
People' will still go on about their usual business ...
But I have not heard about any Yellow rates recently anywhere
Pax will realize them, they will cut from your tip like the last hike. it will take about 6 months for pax to get use to it. I can't wait to see the airport pick up and drop off fee of $4, yellow cab will pass on the pax and wondering how
App company will do them since App drivers can't afford them if they pass on drivers and pax will probably switch to yellow if they pass it on the pax.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Oh they gonna go for rate hikes when MTA hikes
Yellow taxi fare has been tied to the subway fare forever in order to discourage frivolous ridership in taxi. The current and prior mayors have done a poor job of managing this aspect of the delicate balance of infrastructure, moving traffic, and maintaining a living wage for the providers of taxi service, whether it be black car, or yellow.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Ha ha ha. I waited 4.30 hours at JFK lot this morning (from 6.30am) and did not get anyone because I was so hungry and need a restroom and wanted to go somewhere else. It was my first day at the lot. I have talked to some guys at the lot, and we all have the same idea, one guy said he was wondering how do we make money. In SF, driving cab, left home at 7-8am, got to the lot at around 20-30 mins later. Wait until 9.30 to 10am for the first ride.

If yellow cab increase the price, that is the right thing to do. Why? In the market, everywhere is the same. San Francisco, approx 15 millions people visiting the city every year. the market categorize the passenger like this.

Local customer:
from home to work, to train station, Fri and Sat night, go to dinner and head back home = very cheap, not interested. Let all the share rides pick them up.
Tourist:
they don't care a lot for cheaper, they want to travel enjoy their time, they have money to spend. They don't care, like to talk to the cab driver, want to explore, many pay cash and good tip except from some from Europe, buy normally 20%
Business people:
in Bay Area, Facebook, Oracle, Apple, Stanford, Nasa, Visa, Vmware, Adobe Systems, Autodesk, Intuit, Mcafee, Medallia, Mozilla, Google, Uber, Lyft, (these two don't use cab, of course), Craigslist, Dropbox, Pinterest, Salesforce, Sidecar (gone), Trulia, Twitter, Yelp, on and on. All these companies, every year have an annual seminar or conference and people come for one conference over a hundred thousand at one time, and they don't care about the fare, because company pay for them, and cab at the airport during the event, non stop moving in and out from the airport, 7-8 trips a day.
From 24,600,000 visitors/year.
Each month, passenger coming to SF approx 2,050,000
Each day, 68,300
The market shared by visitor only, not local passenger, 68,300 a day. This number of visitors served by Limo, Shuttle Bus (Super Shuttle, etc), Taxi, Uber, Lyft, Train, friend pick up, family pick up, etc.

Remember, Taxi never die. Their market is there. I don't know about New York but if price hike, we will see. I heard that they don't make money either because number of the cab here is 13,000 plus another 50,000 share rides. SF has only 2,500-3,500 cabbies and same number of Uber / Lyft 50,000 in the market.

It's crazy, one day I pick up a couple from a hotel, they gave tip to the doorman but not to Uber when drop off at the airport. 5555 is this a benchmark for Uber/Lyft?......Taboo!

I am surprised, NYC has 50 millions visitors a year, plus local passengers, very interesting......but no money!

·
Registered
546 Posts
Apps should take this opportunity to raise their fares as well. Not just Uber, all of them. Come to an agreement between themselves to make the drivers a bit happier. If cab fares go up, MTA fare goes up, the why shouldn't TNCs? Ridership should stay the same as fare across transportation methods are going up.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Haven't the leases been cut substantially?
yes, substantially. You can lease a medallion shift for 600/week at some fleets. Probably less for WAVs. It's a buyers market. And drivers are typically grossing 400/shift, so you do the math. 1,800 net before fuel which obviously varies if hybrid or gas powered.

·
Registered
1,662 Posts
yes, substantially. You can lease a medallion shift for 600/week at some fleets. Probably less for WAVs. It's a buyers market. And drivers are typically grossing 400/shift, so you do the math. 1,800 net before fuel which obviously varies if hybrid or gas powered.
Nissan NV 200 for 1050 one driver still floating.
That's crazy. A typical full time X driver pays out $500-$600 a week between commission, sales tax and BCF. Plus their $450 a week rental or whatever. Little do they know they can lease a yellow 24/7 for the same cost. But it's a hustle. Not for lazy people. Gotta find the Fares vs relying on an App to just deliver them to you on a platter.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts