Uber Drivers Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,580 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm really sick of this rating system I'm considering switching to driving for yellow cab, again. No rating systems, don't have to kiss ass so much , cash in your pocket daily,and North County yellow here in San Diego does very well, uberx doesn't have a choke hold on North County like it does downtown. also I won't have to deadhead 20 miles to reach a zone where there are trips --I can drive locally in the city that I live --Escondido. plus they have telephones you can call the office and talk to people, the dispatcher etcetera. yellow cab in North County also has an app like Uber so that selling point is no longer. the big reason is the owner of my SUV is raising the lease from 450 to 575 per week and that's a pay cut of 500 a month. plus ubers 28 percent and 15 miles per gallon I don't think it's going to be worth it anymore. yellow cabs are Prius is so they are much better gas and lease is 650 24/7 but the meter 3 bucks a mile so I expect to do fairly well with those numbers.

·
Premium Member
4,365 Posts
as always, the people on top are making the money and the people on the bottom are just the pawns on the chess board moving around.

·
25,855 Posts
The hybrid will save you on gasolene. As an owner-operator, my largest single expense, historically, has been gasolene. What I have observed in a little over one year of UberX-ing with a hybrid and eight weeks of hacking with a hybrid is that my largest single expense is insurance. This would be the case were I carrying liability, only. In the past, whether carrying full coverage or simply liability, gasolene expenses used to outweigh insurance. With a hybrid, that has changed.

·
Registered
122 Posts
"The rabbi who must praise himself has a congregation of one."
I'm really sick of this rating system I'm considering switching to driving for yellow cab, again. No rating systems, don't have to kiss ass so much , cash in your pocket daily,and North County yellow here in San Diego does very well, uberx doesn't have a choke hold on North County like it does downtown. also I won't have to deadhead 20 miles to reach a zone where there are trips --I can drive locally in the city that I live --Escondido. plus they have telephones you can call the office and talk to people, the dispatcher etcetera. yellow cab in North County also has an app like Uber so that selling point is no longer. the big reason is the owner of my SUV is raising the lease from 450 to 575 per week and that's a pay cut of 500 a month. plus ubers 28 percent and 15 miles per gallon I don't think it's going to be worth it anymore. yellow cabs are Prius is so they are much better gas and lease is 650 24/7 but the meter 3 bucks a mile so I expect to do fairly well with those numbers.
Thanks for sharing your thoughts! Full time at $3 a mile plus tip you could probably bank your lease in two days or less? Wow, $575 per week plus gas and Uber cut!

What is the yellow lease if you buy or have your own car?

·
Premium Member
4,580 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for sharing your thoughts! Full time at $3 a mile plus tip you could probably bank your lease in two days or less? Wow, $575 per week plus gas and Uber cut!

What is the yellow lease if you buy or have your own car?
The yellow lease is 24/7 at $650 per week. but that's less than Uber $575 wk and 28% of gross and 15 miles per gallon and no tips to speak of.
Also, noting that yellow is still strong north county ( not many ubers up here like downtown and general hub area )

Over the years, for a cab company that's fairly busy, I've noted that gross averages are about 100x meter.

I.e, 1 per mile is about $100 gross per day, $1.40 per mile is about $140 per day $3 per mile should be about $300 per day
Uber's average for Uberx should be a little higher, because the timer is constant, adding about a quarter per mile above a taxi meter at similar rate, because a taxi meter's timer only kicks in below 12 miles per hour. Also, an uber can do couple more trips per shift because of instantaneous dispatching, no need to log on paper trips ( like taxis, but today it's probably computer as well ) and no handling of cash and CC's at the end of trips --- hard to say on this, I'll just have to drive a taxi to know, I"m using 25 year old taxi paradigm, dispatch by radio, paper trip sheets, etc.

And this is consistent with Uber, as well, 'cause my rates are 3.50 per mile for Black, and $4.30 for SUV, and my average is right in between at $380 per day. ( if I work the same hours a taxi ). So, if I gross 300x6 ( shifts per week as taxi ) I should do about $1800, that leaves me with around a grand a week,
but since Im' a little lazy, work more like 9 - 10 hour shifts, I'll make $700 - $800 per week, which is what Im making now at Uber, on the $450 per week lease ( before boss is going to raise it ). After the lease incrase, I'll make in the $600s, and that's not enough in San Diego, this day and age.

·
Registered
122 Posts
The yellow lease is 24/7 at $650 per week. but that's less than Uber $575 wk and 28% of gross and 15 miles per gallon and no tips to speak of.
Also, noting that yellow is still strong north county ( not many ubers up here like downtown and general hub area )

Over the years, for a cab company that's fairly busy, I've noted that gross averages are about 100x meter.

I.e, 1 per mile is about $100 gross per day, $1.40 per mile is about $140 per day $3 per mile should be about $300 per day
Uber's average for Uberx should be a little higher, because the timer is constant, adding about a quarter per mile above a taxi meter at similar rate, because a taxi meter's timer only kicks in below 12 miles per hour. Also, an uber can do couple more trips per shift because of instantaneous dispatching, no need to log on paper trips ( like taxis, but today it's probably computer as well ) and no handling of cash and CC's at the end of trips --- hard to say on this, I'll just have to drive a taxi to know, I"m using 25 year old taxi paradigm, dispatch by radio, paper trip sheets, etc.

And this is consistent with Uber, as well, 'cause my rates are 3.50 per mile for Black, and $4.30 for SUV, and my average is right in between at $380 per day. ( if I work the same hours a taxi ). So, if I gross 300x6 ( shifts per week as taxi ) I should do about $1800, that leaves me with around a grand a week,
but since Im' a little lazy, work more like 9 - 10 hour shifts, I'll make $700 - $800 per week, which is what Im making now at Uber, on the $450 per week lease ( before boss is going to raise it ). After the lease incrase, I'll make in the $600s, and that's not enough in San Diego, this day and age.
What was your rating with Uber Black/SUV? Did you wear a suit & tie? Water? Mints? etc? One thing I miss about my taxi cab is dressing casual and comfortable!

·
Registered
2,656 Posts
575 per week? wow , no way i would do uber paying that.

·
Premium Member
4,580 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
What was your rating with Uber Black/SUV? Did you wear a suit & tie? Water? Mints? etc? One thing I miss about my taxi cab is dressing casual and comfortable!
It was high enough, but not high enough to feel secure. I had weeks where I got an email "you're in the top 5%" and I did nothing different than on weeks where the rating tanked. This is what is demoralizing about the rating system.

I wear slacks, ( summer short sleave ) dress shirt and dress shoes, no tie, and no white shirts. I don't wear ties, I can't stand them. I give water, but mostly for airport riders, they are usually thirsty.

The commercial insurance rates have doubled, from $4000 per year to $8000, and that's going to put a lot of people out of work, methinks.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts