Uber Drivers Forum banner
1 - 20 of 66 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My name is Brian and I am a new Uber Partner. I have been approved for the Uber Xchange leasing program and am specifically looking to lease a Toyota Prius due to its superior MPH. Yesterday I went to the Toyota of Hollywood dealership which is on the list of approved dealerships participating in this program. I found a used 2013 Toyota Prius Two with a sticker price of $18,988. When added together, the registration, tax, and other incidentals plus the sales price total under $20,000.

The sales manager refused to sell this car to me. He said it did not qualify for the Xchange program. We argued. He then showed me a document that lists the requirements for the program and there was a sentence that stated that "105% of the NSRP plus tax, license, etc must be less than $20,000." I asked him what the NSRP was and he said "$13,500". I asked him how much tax, license, and other incidentals were. He said about $1,500. I told him that $13,500 plus $1500 IS less than $20,000. He still insisted the car wouldn't qualify. Finally after a brief yelling match (at which point he admitted that he wouldn't sell to me because I was an Uber Driver) he finally appeared to give in to my demands and said he'd send the paperwork in to Uber to see if they would approve it.

40 minutes later, he flashed his smart phone at me briefly to show me what appeared to be an email from Uber stating that, in order for the car to qualify for the Xchange program, it needed to be 105% of the NSRP which was $15,000. He refused to forward the email to me or to print it out. I believe he was outright lying to me and that the "email" he showed me was something he concocted so that I would stop asking for the used Prius.

He then attempted to convince me to lease a brand new 2015 Prius C or a Prius C Two. The sticker price for both of these options are higher than $20,000 but with rebates, the Prius C comes in at just under $20,000. The Prius C Two would require $900 down instead of $250.

Most of us who are new partners with Uber do not work in the auto sales industry. This dealership is using Uber to feed them new customers, and then taking advantage of us in order to make more money than they negotiated with Uber. They told me point blank that they have a very narrow profit margin for cars sold through the Uber Xchange program.

Basically, Uber tells its new Partners that the Prius qualifies for the Xchange program. Drivers like me who want the most fuel efficient car go online and look at dealership sites on the internet. We see that the Toyota dealership in Hollywood has a number of used Priuses under $20,000 so we go in to the dealership but then we're told the used Priuses don't qualify, then they try to convince us to lease the new cars that has the larger profit margin.

I have no problem with a dealership trying to up-sell Uber drivers to nicer cars. I do have a problem with a dealership refusing to sell a less expensive car that otherwise qualifies for the Xchange program. Just so they can make more money.

How many other people in Los Angeles have had this same experience?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
No, it's Toyota of Hollywood. North Hollywood Toyota doesn't participate in the Uber Xchange program.

·
Registered
966 Posts
Get the lease on your own. Do NOT, I repeat, do NOT lease through Uber. Plenty of info on this forum. The salesman probably did you a favor.

·
Premium Member
5,326 Posts
what Uber is saying is that the 2013 Prius should sell for $13,500. NOT the $18,988 Toyota of Hollyweird wants!... and the dealer won't sell it to you for that price.

http://www.kbb.com/toyota/prius/201...=5154136|true|6385660|true&pricetype=trade-in

What does KBB say the 2013 is worth? I've never heard of "NSRP" and neither has google.... MSRP is only for new cars.

http://www.cargurus.com/Cars/l-Used-2013-Toyota-Prius-c23741#listing=127263584

Is there a copy of the requirements/agreement you can post?

This program is only of any value to drivers who put LOTS of miles on the car and work 60-70 hours every week...

·
Registered
2,489 Posts
With UberX you can drive a car up to 15 years old. The cutoff goes to 2001 model year cars as of January 1st. I suggest looking for a 2002-2004 car with low miles since you're going to destroy it anyway. Cars that were owned by elderly people who passed or became too old to drive are your best bet. I was running an $800 Ford Taurus on X for awhile. Check Craigslist.

·
Registered
182 Posts
I leased my car thru the exchange program as have few others here.
so far the people that Ive heard talk about it are happy.. Its not like the old lease programs that were so bad..
and there is a lot of false info going around about the leases.. (like people saying that there is not a buy out option at the end of the lease .. there is an option to buy the car at the end),. But this is one of the quirks about the program that I discovered... You cannot really buy a used car from a dealer that is the same make that dealer sells.. You cannot buy a used Hyundai from the hyundai dealer on the program .. or a toyota from the toyota.. or a honda from the honda dealer... The hyundai dealer told me that they lose money if they sell a hyundai.. ( i laughed at that but not sure why he said it).. But the honda dealer told me the program was set up that way.....so my advice is if you want to do the exchange program and you want to buy a prius find one at one of the other dealers on the list that is not a toyota dealer..

I am very happy with my car , but I did not want a new one.. so I went to a honda dealer and got a hyundai sonata. that is a 2013 my payments are 111 a week..

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
So you're telling me that Uber is the one messing with my deal??

I just went to kelly blue book website and, when you include all of the options, the Fair Market Value range is from $14,963 to $18,412. If you subtract the $750 rebate for new Uber Drivers, it falls within the Fair Market Value range. Granted, its the upper end of that range but still..

·
Registered
182 Posts
So you're telling me that Uber is the one messing with my deal??

I just went to kelly blue book website and, when you include all of the options, the Fair Market Value range is from $14,963 to $18,412. If you subtract the $750 rebate for new Uber Drivers, it falls within the Fair Market Value range. Granted, its the upper end of that range but still..

No that is really not what Im saying.. My impression was it was a deal that the car dealers wanted in order to agree to do this..
They (the car dealers) do not really want to be able to offer you a slightly used vehicle the same make that they want to try to upsell you into..

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I don't know.. Uber was pretty specific about the terms of the Xchange program. Why would there be additional restrictions that we were not made aware of? I think it much more likely that this dealership is simply telling us that less expensive cars don't qualify when they really do qualify. I agree that its in the dealership's best interest for us to lease the more expensive new cars.. but if they are committing fraud in order to force us to do so, that's no bueno.

LAUberX seemed to be saying that its possible Uber really does have a restriction based on the kelly blue book price. Is that the case? How do we find out for sure? And how do we dispute the value Uber assigns to these vehicles considering kelly blue book fair market value is a range, not a specific number?

·
Premium Member
5,326 Posts
I was just making an observation, the other member who said it was easier to buy a Toyota from a NON-toyota dealer is a sentiment that has been mentioned before on other threads about Xchange Leasing.

THE actual VALUE should be a factor when buying a car... the lower the price the lower your lease payment will be. It takes a LOT of $2.40 rides to pay a $125.00/week lease, plus gas... most likely the lease program will put you below minimum wage.

·
Registered
1,765 Posts
Plain and simply the car plus tax and lic is over the Uber cap. The dealer won't sell it to you because they can't and if they did they likely would be loosing money vs if they sell at the listed price.

·
Registered
251 Posts
As a new uber driver, maybe you ought to read up on seasoned drivers opinions and experiences when it comes to what kind of car you should use, how much you can expect to earn, net of expenses.

I have seen where these "lease gimmicks" force you to pay around $150 to $170 a week for a car like the Prius you looked at. These leases are sub grade, are extremely expensive as far as the actual cost of money, lease factor. After you pay the $600 a month, insurance and gas ... Set aside cleaning and other misc expenses ... You would be much better off getting a job at the local Wal Mart.

Think this decision through very, very carefully. Uber gets a residual income from that lousy lease you commit to, the dealer only sells cRs it has a max profit on and, you get screwed.

Hope your ratings hold, otherwise that'll be the fastest $250-$900 you ever loose.

·
Registered
251 Posts
I was just making an observation, the other member who said it was easier to buy a Toyota from a NON-toyota dealer is a sentiment that has been mentioned before on other threads about Xchange Leasing.

THE actual VALUE should be a factor when buying a car... the lower the price the lower your lease payment will be. It takes a LOT of $2.40 rides to pay a $125.00/week lease, plus gas... most likely the lease program will put you below minimum wage.
1000% correct. I could not agree more. Smart guy, good advice.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
This isn't a 'hate on the Xchange program' thread. There are other threads for that. I'm not asking if you like or don't like the leasing program. This thread highlights what appears to me to be a Dealership that is taking advantage of us.

I guess the general consensus is that those of us who sign up for Xchange deserve to be taken advantage of? Gee, thanks.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Plain and simply the car plus tax and lic is over the Uber cap. The dealer won't sell it to you because they can't and if they did they likely would be loosing money vs if they sell at the listed price.
That's the thing.. It isn't over the $20,000 cap. And that isn't the excuse the dealership used. Remember, we get a $750.00 rebate for signing up with Uber.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Bgold.. I know when I first started looking and knew what kinda car I wanted.. I went to the dealer that sold those kind new.. (hyundai) and they were very rude about not selling me a used sonata... only a new one.. I told them that I did not appreciate their tude and went else where....
I ended up at community honda in whittier... they were very helpful.. They are the dealer that explained to me that, the dealers who are set up for the program basically do not sell their own brands used on the program just other makes...... and Yes they did try to up sell me to a New accord.. but at 200 more a month . I decided it really was not worth it.. Besides which there are reasons I wanted the make of car that I got..
One they figured out that I was not going to bite on the new accord the leasing the sonata was very easy and relatively painless. my car payments are 111 a month.. and I love my car, I am not sorry at all that i did the program

·
Registered
182 Posts
That's the thing.. It isn't over the $20,000 cap. And that isn't the excuse the dealership used. Remember, we get a $750.00 rebate for signing up with Uber.
Is not the rebate on the purchase of a car??
I did not think the discounts applied to car leased thru the xchange program

·
Registered
182 Posts
adding this to my last post.. as I went and looked at the site..
I think you are a bit confused (easy thing to happen with anything having to do with uber) on how the leases thru the exchange work..
for one thing that 750 discount is for when you DO not use uber to help finance the car...
It says at the begining about that..
"if you’re not interested in financing from Uber Vehicle Solutions participating lenders, you’re still eligible for great savings on popular new cars!"

The way the uber xchange leasing works is you go in.. You dont even discuss the sticker price.. you dont get to say.. well it says 18,000 ill offer you 17,000
//
You look at the cars that the lot has that are available for the uber lease program and decide if you want one of them.... they do have to send off all the details to Uber to make sure that all the numbers add up and that it qualifies..
It took like from one evening at 8 pm till the next morning for me to have the answer..
then they tell you the final details like how much a week.. (the new cars they seem to know right away how much)
They estimated how much my was going to be the night i went in but they were 9 dollars off.. (it cost me 9 a week less then they thought it was going to....).

·
Registered
1,765 Posts
Pretty sure it only applies to new vehicals. I find it had to believe with a sticker price of 18998 tax and lic doesn't put it over 20k.

1 - 20 of 66 Posts