Uber Drivers Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Banned
1998 Mitsubishi Galant
1,236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
at the end of a ride, when a pax says "drive safe" as a farewell/goodbye, WTF does that mean? does it mean that they perceived you as driving unsafely?

or is it just a common saying like "stay safe" not meaning you were necessarily staying unsafe, or "have a nice day" not necessarily meaning that you were trajected to have a bad day?

either way, this is one of my least favorite "bye"s.

·
Registered
694 Posts
"WTF does "drive safe" mean?"

It means for one not to drive like you have been doing. 😁

In reality they like you and don't want to hear you got into an accident, so they think by saying "drive safe" they perhaps could avoid such an incident from occurring. They usually tip, so they don't want to waste their money. 🤑

·
Premium Member
976 Posts
It means drivers are **** ing unhinged after experiencing open roads during the plandemic and the pressures of the times. Or driving “more radically” as one Toyota insider at my local coffee shop observed. It’s a bit generic but sweet. I’ve dodged some insane accidents so I know just what they mean.

·
Premium Member
6,679 Posts
It means the same as have a good day. Except it's a little more specific seeing how what you're doing is driving.

It's also like if you're searching for something and somebody asked what you're doing? So you explain to them what you're doing and I bet you if they were concerned or paying attention to what you were saying they would say well have a "good day happy Hunting."

Nothing more than a cordial saying goodbye.

·
Premium Member
71,891 Posts
at the end of a ride, when a pax says "drive safe" as a farewell/goodbye, WTF does that mean? does it mean that they perceived you as driving unsafely?

or is it just a common saying like "stay safe" not meaning you were necessarily staying unsafe, or "have a nice day" not necessarily meaning that you were trajected to have a bad day?

I hate it too.
Like telling a stage star " good luck" !

It's a Curse !

·
Premium Member
11,904 Posts
Just say "Thank You" and be on your way.

I mean really, With all the accidents and drivers doing stupid shit. One needs a Sixth sense out there.

·
Super Moderator
8,662 Posts
At least you are actually driving the car and have some influence over that. What gets me is when you’re flying somewhere and they say to you “have a safe flight”! Why are you telling me, I’m sitting back in seat 27C and have no influence over that!!! Shouldn’t you tell that to the Pilot???

Yeah I know, they really mean “I hope you have a safe flight”. Really….you “hope” I have a safe flight? Well I “hope” for a lot of things that don’t happen so is “hope” really a curse? To me it’s like meeting a neighbor and you notice a large lump on their head. Do you say “I “hope” that lump on your head isn’t a malignant growth that you’re gonna die from”!

·
Premium Member
10,070 Posts
I’d get the “drive safe” all the time. It’s a nice gesture, and I didn’t take it in a negative way. I had many pax compliment my driving, and I did well with tips.

Pax probably say it because they know the horrendous drivers on the road, and some were their previous Uber drivers.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Sheesh! It's just a cordial farewell phrase, no different than have a nice day. When I drop off a pax, that I know is going to work, I often say "don't work too hard". I don't literally mean be lazy and get fired. When someone is performing and another person tells them "break a leg", they're not wishing pain and harm on that person. It just blows my mind that this has to be explained to someone that's over the age of 10.

·
Premium Member
11,904 Posts
Reactive minds are a plenty ^.

Why are you telling me, I’m sitting back in seat 27C and have no influence over that!!!
Shouldn’t you tell that to the Pilot???
More like the Ground Crew who maintain the planes in hopes that the Inspectors did not just rubber stamp the document giving the Flight Safety checks an OK. Putting it back in service. Don't ask how I know.

Reactions: Seamus

·
Premium Member
16,316 Posts
When ever I am getting off a plane, IF I can see the captain, I always say "thanks for the lift, Skipper."
I've said it over the shoulder of the flight attendant and always get a wave and a 'you're welcome' from the flight deck.

·
Registered
160 Posts

It’s not my favorite either. Kind of corny and like you say, don’t you always drive safe; didn’t you just now. But it’s really just their act (statement) of kindness towards you.

What I cringe over is that statement that comes from, say a boyfriend or mom, “now you make sure she gets home safely”. Like, yeah, right, I’m always driving like a maniac with passengers in the car 🤮 (or even alone). Why else would I be driving people around?

1 - 20 of 32 Posts