Uber Drivers Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi everyone. Has anyone had problems with Uber sending you to the wrong pickup spots? Or the wrong passenger gets in your car but its the correct contact number but its the wrong customer?

I have been getting everyday a few uber ride requests at Bellagio when its supposed to be at Harrahs or it says to pick the rider at the Marriot Grand Chateau but the rider is at Planet Hollywood with bad reception which they don't seem to understand where the pickup spot is at Planet Hollywood in the first place.

Also I had a few rides out of this last month that were the wrong passenger. This tripped out the customer as I called them to confirm the location but they were across the street and when I went to ouck them up its a different person's name displayed on the app with a different drop off location.

If anyone had these experiences I want to know your story or what you did to resolve the issue. For example what I did was I either cancelled the ride with the wrong address or I explained to the customer that it will take me with bumper to bumper traffic ten or so minutes just to get across the street because their are no u-turns allowed so I will need to drive out of the way to just to cross the street. So the rider is either super confused, super pissed, panicked or they ask to cancel the ride. In some instances they wait but they don't tip after all the time wasted for a $4.47 ride. Seriously its already hard enough to make a hundred bucks after ten hours.

Since there isn't staging in these areas I get screwed over for the gas and time wasted to pick a rider that isn't even at the location that the Uber displays. This is happening more often these past months.

Does anyone know a good strategy on dealing with this problem or are we just screwed of our time? Does anyone know why this is happening? I asked Uber for help in the past but realized its a computer generated response not a real person so I haven't bothered writing to them.

·
Premium Member
435 Posts
As far as the wrong pickup spot I just charge the customer cause its their fault for not making sure the pickup spot is correct. If you call them and they are not there don't look for them cause you lose time and money and uber people usually don't tip. I have had lyft change my rider but not uber so far.

·
Registered
1,037 Posts
Crystals Entrance, down I go, nobody there, get a call, we are at Aria North Valet, I can't get there from here. Complete waste of time, pax are lazy, they don't check their request, they don't care, not my problem attidude, and of course no fee.

·
Registered
450 Posts
I will call pax when I see pick up is at certain hotels. IE: Bellagio,Mirage, Planet Hollywood ,Tropicana and Caesar's.

Those are almost always wrong (for me). The rest, I go to location, text pax im there as well as my vehicle make \color, what car I'm next to or some other landmark. When the app tells to cancel, I cancel.

I used to drive around to where they actually were, risking traffic tickets or loosing out on surges to have pax continuous text and call asking "where are you"? Or "how much longer ?" And my favorite "your going to make us late!!!".

I always ask their name before unlocking my doors. They are ruthless and I don't like confrontation.

·
Registered
2,868 Posts
I always advise riders to type name of hotel, pin drop is not Uber or Lyft fault, it's just the way it is. With hotels right next to each other it's just the way of the land.
^^^^^THIS^^^^^
I teach new riders every day. Do NOT allow gps to send us to your default location. If they remember just one thing...MANUALLY input the NAME of the property where they are. It saves them frustration and many cancel fees.

I will call pax when I see pick up is at certain hotels. IE: Bellagio,Mirage, Planet Hollywood ,Tropicana and Caesar's.

Those are almost always wrong (for me). The rest, I go to location, text pax im there as well as my vehicle make \color, what car I'm next to or some other landmark. When the app tells to cancel, I cancel.

I used to drive around to where they actually were, risking traffic tickets or loosing out on surges to have pax continuous text and call asking "where are you"? Or "how much longer ?" And my favorite "your going to make us late!!!".

I always ask their name before unlocking my doors. They are ruthless and I don't like confrontation.
Right..and when you go to the extra trouble to get them they low rate you because they think it's your fault. I will drive to app pick up location and wait. When it gets 2 minutes from cancel I will call to make sure they know proper pick up spot. If they are nearby I will direct them to me. If they are at different property because they didn't properly request the ride I give them a brief instruction over the phone, tell them they will have to order another ride and they will be charged a cancel fee for this one.

·
Registered
37 Posts
I always advise riders to type name of hotel, pin drop is not Uber or Lyft fault, it's just the way it is. With hotels right next to each other it's just the way of the land.
It is Uber/Lyft's fault and here's why. They don't explain things clearly enough to the customers. Customers don't understand exactly what pool/line is so they just accept cheapest option. Customers don't understand GPs isn't always pinpoint accurate so they select pin drop etc. All problems that can be easily fixed if Uber would explain things more clearly to their customers.

·
Registered
2,868 Posts
Just go to pin. Wait for timer to ok to cancel. Then call. If they are at a different location then your call either cancel or ask them if they want you to make the trip to them. At that point start the trip to pick them up.
It's probably not a good idea to ever start a trip without the rider in the car. It's too easy for them to protest the fare and I believe Uber can verify they weren't in the car.

It is Uber/Lyft's fault and here's why. They don't explain things clearly enough to the customers. Customers don't understand exactly what pool/line is so they just accept cheapest option. Customers don't understand GPs isn't always pinpoint accurate so they select pin drop etc. All problems that can be easily fixed if Uber would explain things more clearly to their customers.
Indeed it is ubers fault. No they don't do squat to teach riders some Uber 101. The torch is passed to us drivers. Riders learn from drivers who take the time to teach them and thus we all benefit.

·
Registered
1,037 Posts
It's probably not a good idea to ever start a trip without the rider in the car.........
Lyft often trips over and starts the ride, I am still trying to find the pax. Makes it difficult to run down the timer when the ride has started and the pax aren't there. Have complained but nothing, still does it. Seems to not happen with line though.

·
Premium Member
155 Posts
Hi everyone. Has anyone had problems with Uber sending you to the wrong pickup spots? Or the wrong passenger gets in your car but its the correct contact number but its the wrong customer?

Since there isn't staging in these areas I get screwed over for the gas and time wasted to pick a rider that isn't even at the location that the Uber displays. This is happening more often these past months.

Does anyone know a good strategy on dealing with this problem or are we just screwed of our time? Does anyone know why this is happening? I asked Uber for help in the past but realized its a computer generated response not a real person so I haven't bothered writing to them.
I had a pool (ya, I know.. You don't take pools.. so shoot me, I missed that one..) the other day, was out on Craig Road, got a ping from the 7000 block of NORTH Pecos (the "north" is important, believe me). Arrived at the pin, or in reality as close as I could get to it, as navigation was showing it being behind an "end of the road" barracade. I called the rider, and asked exactly WHERE are you? She replied she was at so-and-so's doctors office... Umm.. Mam, there isn't any doctors office anywhere near where I am.. Asked her the address, turns out it was in the 7000 block of SOUTH Pecos... Some 15 or so miles away... I told her to cancel and hopefully get some one closer to her. About that time, the second pool rider called wanting to know where the heck I was.. Cancelled the whole damn thing.. Uber navigation seems to have some issues, I think....

·
Premium Member
133 Posts
It's probably not a good idea to ever start a trip without the rider in the car. It's too easy for them to protest the fare and I believe Uber can verify they weren't in the car.

I have a dash cam and I do this all the time Recorded
Conversation. With consent it's ok. Or just collect cancellation fee.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Crystals Entrance, down I go, nobody there, get a call, we are at Aria North Valet, I can't get there from here. Complete waste of time, pax are lazy, they don't check their request, they don't care, not my problem attidude, and of course no fee.
Yes, I feel your pain in this! Happens often to me in the last month.

I had a pool (ya, I know.. You don't take pools.. so shoot me, I missed that one..) the other day, was out on Craig Road, got a ping from the 7000 block of NORTH Pecos (the "north" is important, believe me). Arrived at the pin, or in reality as close as I could get to it, as navigation was showing it being behind an "end of the road" barracade. I called the rider, and asked exactly WHERE are you? She replied she was at so-and-so's doctors office... Umm.. Mam, there isn't any doctors office anywhere near where I am.. Asked her the address, turns out it was in the 7000 block of SOUTH Pecos... Some 15 or so miles away... I told her to cancel and hopefully get some one closer to her. About that time, the second pool rider called wanting to know where the heck I was.. Cancelled the whole damn thing.. Uber navigation seems to have some issues, I think....
This is exactly what has happened to me on many occassions in the past month. I finally started calling all riders before I take off to the destination in fear I will be doooped. So 50% of riders are near or close to the uber pickup, however 50% are totally lost or not even at the destination the app says they are at. So now I am contacting each customer before I start driving and make sure they will be at the correct uber pickup spot. Tip: I also added a automatic text for each hotel describing on my phone where to go for each popular hotel so I text this auto text for the hotel the customer confirms that they are at. I don't ask for permission just text the uber pickup instructions Simple!

·
Registered
932 Posts
Yes, I feel your pain in this! Happens often to me in the last month.

This is exactly what has happened to me on many occassions in the past month. I finally started calling all riders before I take off to the destination in fear I will be doooped. So 50% of riders are near or close to the uber pickup, however 50% are totally lost or not even at the destination the app says they are at. So now I am contacting each customer before I start driving and make sure they will be at the correct uber pickup spot. Tip: I also added a automatic text for each hotel describing on my phone where to go for each popular hotel so I text this auto text for the hotel the customer confirms that they are at. I don't ask for permission just text the uber pickup instructions Simple!
This is a lot of extra work you are putting on yourself.

Literally, turn on app, accept ping, drive to pick up location. Wait for rider to make contact, if the time expires, cancel get another ping, rinse and repeat. I usually don't pick up calls from PAX until I get to where they ordered their ride to. If they ordered it to the wrong place bc of their incompetence or stupidity it's not my fault or responsibility to help them. If they can't get to pick up area in time, cancel drive away. Works well for me.

·
Registered
2,868 Posts
The fact that riders are not at the location the app says is hardly Ubers fault. The app asks to verify pick up location then shows a map. This is totally rider error.
How many times a day.......hey rider....do not allow app gps to drop your pin to "current location" it will be wrong. You will pay cancel fees. INPUT name of property! Too many times a day! Uber could help with this by making "your location" a required field.
How often do we hear this from new drivers too that think the app is messing up. I have to wonder when and if they ever learn if they don't learn here or some other driver forum.

·
Registered
18 Posts
This is a lot of extra work you are putting on yourself.

Literally, turn on app, accept ping, drive to pick up location. Wait for rider to make contact, if the time expires, cancel get another ping, rinse and repeat. I usually don't pick up calls from PAX until I get to where they ordered their ride to. If they ordered it to the wrong place bc of their incompetence or stupidity it's not my fault or responsibility to help them. If they can't get to pick up area in time, cancel drive away. Works well for me.
EXACTLY! at this point if the passenger isnt paying attention to what they put in for the pick up location thats not your problem. I let the time clock run and send a text saying the same thing all the time Hello This is Your driver im in (name of your car) at the Designated pic up area. If nobody replies or calls and they dont show peace out. Especially when im at paris and when they say but im at bellagio. uhmmm so you hit send and didnt call me right away to let me now? pfff fk that. But for sure i completely take responsibility to teach all new passengers about designated pick up areas on the strip and to double check where they are suggesting w go to. The best is when Sunday comes and they call and say im on the strip and i ask have you been here all weekend? bc anyone thats been here all weekend if they havent learned to be at a pick up spot by now is a tool.

·
Registered
169 Posts
I just make a habit of calling when it's Ballys, Paris, Venetian, palazzo kind of pickup. Chances are they are not where it says they are.

·
Registered
428 Posts
You can rack up some cheap cancellations in these areas. But screen cap them because uber will steal a few. I've had 3 in a row.

I have had riders insist that they tried to enter the right location and it would not accept it on the app. If they let me know early on I'll go to them.

It can be worth picking them up imo in some cases. Like if all you have to do is drive from linq to harrahs and things are a bit slow, your cancellation rate is high or you are on a quest.

You can try to measure them up on the phone or texts. Apologetic people might tip. Complainers obviously get dumped.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts