Uber Drivers Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Twice today Uber gave me a pickup location that wasn't even close to where my rider was. Why is this happening? Is it because the rider accidentally moved the pin when selecting a pickup location? I suppose this is partly due to customer stupidity. They're too stupid to look on their phone and see that the pickup address is different from where they are.

On the same two trips, Uber gave me a destination that was simply the name of a town with no street adress! Why is the app allowing people to do this?

Of course, with the problem at pickup and then the problem with destination, the customer now thinks I'm a moron. I give them my best apology and explain to them that it's a problem with the app and not my fault, but they still give me a one star.

I sent a support ticket to Uber reporting problems with the navigation app and they replied with a pre-scripted auto response about how its OK to take an alternate route, under the heading "issue resolved"! As if they didnt even read my email! I replied saying that the issue is not resolved and please address my concerns and I get no response! This isn't the first time Uber support has been absolutely no help whatsoever. Are they always this worthless?

·
Registered
8,379 Posts
Uber support has several layers or tiers. The job of the first tier is not to resolve issues but to select and send a pre-written general information sheet to drivers, and hope that they go away. If you want an answer to or resolution of your support issue, you have to break through the lower tiers and have the matter escalated up through the levels until you get to a US - based support rep. Not really worth it unless it's an important issue such as missing earnings.

By the way, unless the fare is a high surge ride, do not play Where's Waldo with any pax. If they are not where the pin is placed, wait the five minutes then no show them and collect the no show fee. If they phone or text you, don't go to where they say they are. You will get downrated by pin-misdroppers and as a noob, you need to protect your rating from this and any other pax type who is going to damage it.

·
Registered
1,296 Posts
By the way, unless the fare is a high surge ride, do not play Where's Waldo with any pax. If they are not where the pin is placed, wait the five minutes then no show them and collect the no show fee. If they phone or text you, don't go to where they say they are. You will get downrated by pin-misdroppers and as a noob, you need to protect your rating from this and any other pax type who is going to damage it.
^^ 100% correct ^^
Never never ever EVER pick up pin mis-droppers. You will always be 1 starred because of their stupidity.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the advice guys. Too bad I learned my lesson the hard way. From now on I'll cancel these people after 5 minutes. Today I've also been verifying destination with my pax upon pickup. Why does Uber allow riders to book a ride with the destination as the name of a town, with no street address? I even had a couple riders with no destination! I had to manually enter it!

As a new driver with only 61 trips, a few one stars really hurts my score. Even though my overall score is 4.49, my account has been flagged for review because of low scoring. How does that work? Its because of these stupid pin droppers.

Its a real shame about Uber support. Everyone would benefit it they listened to genuine concerns from drivers.

·
Registered
1,296 Posts
Also ALWAYS contact via. SMS before or as you arrive. Miscommunication costs you money and maybe rating numbers.
Bad advise.
Keep your hands on the wheel and eyes on the road and never ever EVER send a text to the pax to let them know before or after you have arrived.

Before the pax even orders the ride the app shows them how many minutes away the driver is, so they know when to have their toes to the kerb when you pull up.

Also, the app shows the driver on the app getting closer and closer, so the pax knows where you are and when to have their toes to the kerb when you pull up.

And if that STILL isn't enough for the pax, when you DO pull up and the thoughtless pax toes are NOT to the kerb, the app automatically NOTIFIES the pax of your arrival!

So yeah ... uh, NO ... you should never never never EVER text the pax before or on arrival. It's senseless and a weak, kiss-butt move.

·
Registered
42 Posts
When a passenger starts typing in the address where they're at they get a pop-up menu. And every single street address like it the exists within cities across the country will be on that list. And Rider can select the wrong one. That's how that happens. Also just plain stupidity.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Bad advise.
So yeah ... uh, NO ... you should never never never EVER text the pax before or on arrival. It's senseless and a weak, kiss-butt move.
And of course, don't get the fare if the app sends you to the wrong address. Just drive away.

The tech I use is fine, the app tends to have poor GPS on the pax side if they are on a bad phone so the pin is in the wrong place. I get 1/10 rides as the wrong location. I choose to text a lot of the time before I drive and to confirm when I am there. I lost a couple fares before I started overcommunicating.

·
Super Moderator
6,093 Posts
Why does Uber allow riders to book a ride with the destination as the name of a town, with no street address?.
I've noticed that if the pick up/drop off location is a train station it will sometimes appear as the name of the town with no street address.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts