Uber Drivers Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Got in a wreck on my way to pick up a pax. So frustrating! Luckily no one was injured. But I'm going to have some downtime. Was headed east on Fletcher on a clear left lane approaching green light. Traffic backed up in right lane. Someone decided to pull out of a convenience store without checking my lane. Glad I didn't have a pax!

·
Registered
81 Posts
Work with Uber on that. If you accepted a pax then you where on Their insurance. Let me know how that goes.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Work with Uber on that. If you accepted a pax then you where on Their insurance. Let me know how that goes.
Unless your insurance is terrible, it's probably better to just go through the normal process with your own company. Particularly if you were not at fault, and the other person has insurance.

·
Registered
602 Posts
Got in a wreck on my way to pick up a pax. So frustrating! Luckily no one was injured. But I'm going to have some downtime. Was headed east on Fletcher on a clear left lane approaching green light. Traffic backed up in right lane. Someone decided to pull out of a convenience store without checking my lane. Glad I didn't have a pax!
Well , if you have been matched with an Uber rider through the app and your on your way to pick them up your on Uber's insurance. Let us know how you make out, particularly with the repair if your car, Good luck.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Looks like I'm sidelined for a while while I work with the at-fault party's slow a** insurance company. Hopefully they don't try to say my car is totaled. I really liked übering with it.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well the car has been totaled. This sucks. It was a good car. Well on the bright side now I can't drive it out into the ground with Uber. ;) Time to start another thread, "What's a good car to Uber with for $5000"?

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
2006 Saturn Ion 2. w/ 50k miles. I'll be lucky to get even $4000 for it it looks like according to Kelly Blue Book Value. But I knew its history there is some intangible value there that I'm going to lose. Buying a used car for $4-5000 seems like a risky business. Esp. one that runs a swell as the Saturn did.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Damn I hear ya, Im not a driver yet, Im thinking about it. I have a 2006 BMW 330 xi All Wheel Drive with 147k miles on her. But I do the maintenance and repairs myself. Trying to figure out if I want to use this car or what ya know...

·
Premium Member
2,116 Posts
On the car buying standpoint, you may have to expand your search distance as well as budget ammount as well. Not a whole lot of low mileage low year cars at 3500 out there. I say 3500 cause that 1500 extra is gonna be gone because of taxes, fees that whole mess. You might wanna look at a 7900 price range and see what your looking at monthly through financing. To the BMW guy I'd look for another car with this business.

·
Premium Member
2,116 Posts
I don't think that should be a factor since when it happens it's rare. Your clientele varries as in people who go to the airport typically are not plastered. Since I've been doing this I've taken 1 guy that was completely blitzed out of his mind and that individual didn't trash my backseat. If people trashing your back seat is a concern for you to even do Uber then I would consider otherwise. My opinion sign up regardless. If it's not for you then it's not for you.

·
Premium Member
2,996 Posts
File on the persons insurance whose fault it was. No need to draw Uber into it.

·
Registered
15,929 Posts
When you talk to the insurance company make a note of anything special you had on the car because it may add to the value. I had a car totalled last year and because I had a Homelink rearview mirror it was an extra $200 on the value. It would never have even occurred to me that that would make a difference but it did. Also the insurance actually gave me more for the car than I could have sold it for. So you may not come out as far behind as you expect. I think it depends on the insurance company. I have State Farm.

Also I had a wreck where I was hit from behind and just by telling the other insurance company I had missed work because of the hassle they offered me $300 right away to settle (besides the car). The other person had Allstate. So without going into specifics about work you could certainly tell them you will expect to miss some due to the hassle of looking for a new car. They also should give you a rental for the duration. No good for uber but you will need it to go find another car.
If they ask about injuries never say you're ok. I have HAD whiplash and it is very true you don't always feel it right away. Just say you're a little sore and you'll have to see how you feel once you've slept on it.

·
Registered
209 Posts
On the car buying standpoint, you may have to expand your search distance as well as budget ammount as well. Not a whole lot of low mileage low year cars at 3500 out there. I say 3500 cause that 1500 extra is gonna be gone because of taxes, fees that whole mess. You might wanna look at a 7900 price range and see what your looking at monthly through financing. To the BMW guy I'd look for another car with this business.
$3,500-$5,000 gets you a pretty shitty car. If you can finance at least that much to go on top of it that would be best, but if you're just going to pound it into the ground maybe you do want a POS, ha.

Also, definitely expand your search area as mentioned above. When I was last buying a car, I looked everywhere from Ocala to Sarasota to Clermont. I found that some of the farther away locations had better prices and better condition used vehicles. Particularly areas with a lot of retirees who bought the car new, serviced it at the dealer every 5k miles for 5-7 years and then traded it in. These cars are in great shape and you know exactly what has gone on with them. Figure out specifically what you're looking for and then search online every day, something will pop up soon enough.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.