Uber Drivers Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
566 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
One of Kalanick's big talking points is that lower prices get more riders in the car which means more money for you. Our pay summaries say that's Libertarian BS. Okay, let's suppose a new leader takes over Uber and decides that ridesharing is not a service for everyone and decides to stop trying to capture the low end of the market. This person says:

- Eliminate Pool
- Raise rates back to pre-2014 levels
- Cut the company share to 20%
- Add a tip screen and work to change the tipping culture (drivers keep 100% of tips minus the cc transaction fee)
- Boot low-rated pax off the system, just like low-rated drivers
- Add a fee for extended pickups (more than 8 min) and long empty return trips

On an unrelated note they also end the driverless car research.

Let's assume along with those perks the company takes a much harder line on acceptance and cancellation rates. Calling ahead to see if a ride is "worth it" is immediate and permanent deactivation. Let's further assume that the bottom feeders would cut down on using the service, there would be fewer rides but each ride would pay more. Would you as a driver be willing to earn more per ride but accept fewer rides in exchange? Would you basically take all pings if you knew you could get rid of really bad riders?

·
Registered
2,153 Posts
I would like to receive an upfront per ride payment, like taxis. Meter starts at $x.xx, and then it's per minute/per mile after that, so if I do 10 1-mile rides, it's more profitable than 1 10-mile ride, assuming that the time is the same.

Also, get paid for long-distance pickups (if more than x miles to pax, $y.yy per mile over x miles).

·
Registered
2,198 Posts
You assume too much. In the real world ubers investors throw money at them for ridership count. They dont look at revenue, proffit and opperating expenses as long as ridership (active member count) is growing. Your theoretical what if is pointless to talk about. As long as investors are giving them money, ubers prime directive is to grow membership.

·
Premium Member
9,499 Posts
I would like to receive an upfront per ride payment, like taxis. Meter starts at $x.xx, and then it's per minute/per mile after that, so if I do 10 1-mile rides, it's more profitable than 1 10-mile ride, assuming that the time is the same.

Also, get paid for long-distance pickups (if more than x miles to pax, $y.yy per mile over x miles).
You already do get this, it's called the base rate. If you do 10 1 mile rides you get 10 minimums which is surely more than 1 10 mile ride.

With that said I would gladly do 1/2 the trips for 75% of the money. That's a no brainer, I would be way ahead dollars per hour and have more free time.

·
Registered
841 Posts
One of Kalanick's big talking points is that lower prices get more riders in the car which means more money for you. Our pay summaries say that's Libertarian BS. Okay, let's suppose a new leader takes over Uber and decides that ridesharing is not a service for everyone and decides to stop trying to capture the low end of the market. This person says:

- Eliminate Pool
- Raise rates back to pre-2014 levels
- Cut the company share to 20%
- Add a tip screen and work to change the tipping culture (drivers keep 100% of tips minus the cc transaction fee)
- Boot low-rated pax off the system, just like low-rated drivers
- Add a fee for extended pickups (more than 8 min) and long empty return trips

On an unrelated note they also end the driverless car research.

Let's assume along with those perks the company takes a much harder line on acceptance and cancellation rates. Calling ahead to see if a ride is "worth it" is immediate and permanent deactivation. Let's further assume that the bottom feeders would cut down on using the service, there would be fewer rides but each ride would pay more. Would you as a driver be willing to earn more per ride but accept fewer rides in exchange? Would you basically take all pings if you knew you could get rid of really bad riders?
I like it all, but I would definitely add a feature that the actual ride time is equal or greater than the time to get to the pick-up after the ping.

·
Registered
2,153 Posts
You already do get this, it's called the base rate. If you do 10 1 mile rides you get 10 minimums which is surely more than 1 10 mile ride.

With that said I would gladly do 1/2 the trips for 75% of the money. That's a no brainer, I would be way ahead dollars per hour and have more free time.
Ok, point taken, bad analogy. How about 10 4-mile rides vs. 1 40-mile ride.

·
Premium Member
5,233 Posts
I wish they double the amount you get for waiting for the passenger. So say your city has a rate of 30 cents a minutes per trip. The waiting time after 2 minutes that you get paid for should be charged at 60 cents per minute. Uber has a lot of arbitrary points in their tos so why not?

·
Registered
15 Posts
I wish they double the amount you get for waiting for the passenger. So say your city has a rate of 30 cents a minutes per trip. The waiting time after 2 minutes that you get paid for should be charged at 60 cents per minute. Uber has a lot of arbitrary points in their tos so why not?
My thought here is because drivers would starting the trip down the street from the pickup to add to that time frame before they actually arrive.

There is already a ton of drivers who pull up, wait 2 minutes and rider no show the trip just to get the cancellation fees.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.