Uber Drivers Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,734 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I know I would.

It really wouldn't be too hard either. Make the base $1.75 a mile and .25 a minute. Keep the surge (it won't surge nearly as much though), as you need it to incentivize certain situations like bar close and big events (Rose Bowl), otherwise no one would do those things, but just lower the multipliers. For instance, multipliers would be, 1.25x, 1.5x, 1.75x, and such forth. I think this would be a good compromise. I think acceptance rates would sky rocket, driver retention would increase, and moral would increase. It would still be cheaper than a taxis, and at least in Los Angeles this would work, as you can't really hail a cab, and the big reason people take uber is the convenience of it. The few riders you would lose, and I really don't think you would lose many, you would make it up in the increased revenue take from the 20%-25% of ubers cut.

·
Registered
3,678 Posts
I think it's a great idea. Minor detail though. Multipliers such as .5x or .75x would decrease earnings. Example: 20*.75=15.
and another sterling example of why we aren't being paid more. Probably a simple mistake or a confused Lyft driver speaking PT, but who knows. SO many drivers out there are completely clueless.

·
Premium Member
6,734 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I meant 1.25x, 1.5x, 1.75x... Instead of the huge multipliers, keep them smaller. One of the problems with increasing the base on miles and time is that when you hit it with the 3x and 4x surge rate, it just becomes ridiculous. Yeah we get those unicorn surge rates from time to time, but I would rather not worry about surges and have a higher base structure, and lower the increase multiplier drastically.

·
Registered
3,678 Posts
I meant 1.25x, 1.5x, 1.75x... Instead of the huge multipliers, keep them smaller. One of the problems with increasing the base on miles and time is that when you hit it with the 3x and 4x surge rate, it just becomes ridiculous. Yeah we get those unicorn surge rates from time to time, but I would rather not worry about surges and have a higher base structure, and lower the increase multiplier drastically.
A lot of the problem with the high multipliers is the way Uber is trying to manage the surge by creating these quick micro bursts of surge. SO that it;s harder to wait for them and harder to actually get a decent ride out of one. THe problem that this is creating is that a few unlucky pax get stuck with a HUGE bill and the rest slide in at relatively low X. Uber probably likes it because the majority got the lower rate and are happy, and those few unlucky can just suck it up.

I frequently see situations where there is only one car available 10 minutes away and no surge, in an area that is known for business. If Uber ramped up the surge more slowly and for a longer period it would alleviate the 4Xs. ALso they should have a perma surge of a minimum of 1.5X on weekend hours regardless. The weekends have highest demand so there's ample reason to surge them at all hours. Just like the oil companies do on the big summer vacation weeks. It's not like they are changing the price by the minute, its a sustained increase becasue higher demand and the pressures that puts on the entire system not just those peak hours.

·
Registered
2,280 Posts
I know I would.

It really wouldn't be too hard either. Make the base $1.75 a mile and .25 a minute. Keep the surge (it won't surge nearly as much though), as you need it to incentivize certain situations like bar close and big events (Rose Bowl), otherwise no one would do those things, but just lower the multipliers. For instance, multipliers would be, 1.25x, 1.5x, 1.75x, and such forth. I think this would be a good compromise. I think acceptance rates would sky rocket, driver retention would increase, and moral would increase. It would still be cheaper than a taxis, and at least in Los Angeles this would work, as you can't really hail a cab, and the big reason people take uber is the convenience of it. The few riders you would lose, and I really don't think you would lose many, you would make it up in the increased revenue take from the 20%-25% of ubers cut.
i agree with you. better rates, less surge multiplier. but we must be real. uber would never ever go up that high. i'd say something reasonable like $1.05 a mile, with a base fare of $1 like the rest of the major markets. La/Oc are the only major markets with a ZERO base fare. that must change. but as long as drivers are willing to put their car on the road for uber at base rates, we will never see a base fare.

·
Premium Member
6,734 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
i agree with you. better rates, less surge multiplier. but we must be real. uber would never ever go up that high. i'd say something reasonable like $1.05 a mile, with a base fare of $1 like the rest of the major markets. La/Oc are the only major markets with a ZERO base fare. that must change. but as long as drivers are willing to put their car on the road for uber at base rates, we will never see a base fare.
Why wouldn't they? They are essentially doing this with the medal incentives already. Instead of uber footing the bill, why not get the passengers to foot the bill. Sooner or later they are gonna have to increase the pay scale, they can not continue to have a revolving door of drivers. Their driver retention rate has got to be horrible, and this will be a huge knock if and when they go public. Its a horrible business model. They have the driver pool, as evidenced by the low surge when they offer the incentives, just pay drivers a decent pay rate and they don't have to worry about driver retention.

I wouldn't ever drive for 1.05. EVER. I drove my first week for their base rate and realized right away that I would only drive surge.

·
Registered
808 Posts
I would rather get paid for every minute I'm online as a base and by the mile when pax are onboard. They could do away with surge and just raise the per mile rate.

·
Premium Member
6,734 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I would rather get paid for every minute I'm online as a base and by the mile when pax are onboard. They could do away with surge and just raise the per mile rate.
There is always gonna have to be some kind of surge, otherwise no one would ever do Bar closing or events like the Rose Bowl. And in fact, I tell passenger this, and they agree, and are willing to pay a higher fare during these situations. What irritates the hell out of passengers is paying a surge other times, and I don't blame them. It would be very easy to market also. You let passengers know you are drastically reducing surge pricing, and just increasing the base amount of the fares. Trust me, what are passengers gonna do, take a taxi? No way, taxis would still be more expensive. At the end of the day, they are gonna have to do this, or just live with their product service becoming worse and worse until they are the very thing they are trying to replace, the Taxi.

·
Banned
6,928 Posts
I know I would.

I don't think it might be such a good idea at this point since demand is currently outstripping driver supply. Almost doubling prices will have a huge impact on growth. Higher base rates would simplify things for the "ants" and rates would eventually creep back down. Uber rewards platinum drivers since they actually end up completing a huge percentage of the overall volume of rides. They mostly use non-metal drivers as bait to prevent surge. Prices will eventually have to go up but I think Uber prefers increasing ridership at this point.

·
Premium Member
6,734 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
You said it yourself, demand is higher than supply. What do you do when this happens? You increase supply, and the only way to do this long term is to increase the bases for the drivers. They can not keep having the astronomical costs of driver acquisition ($500 + $500) costs and stay in business. Last thing you ever want to become is a K-mart, and I think that is the road uber is headed toward. At some point, only desperate people who can not get another job are going to be doing this, and when that happens, what kind of service do you think they will be providing? When passengers keep getting this kind of service, and they are in cars with people that scare the shit out of them, demand will shrink.

·
Registered
2,280 Posts
Why wouldn't they? They are essentially doing this with the medal incentives already. Instead of uber footing the bill, why not get the passengers to foot the bill. Sooner or later they are gonna have to increase the pay scale, they can not continue to have a revolving door of drivers. Their driver retention rate has got to be horrible, and this will be a huge knock if and when they go public. Its a horrible business model. They have the driver pool, as evidenced by the low surge when they offer the incentives, just pay drivers a decent pay rate and they don't have to worry about driver retention.

I wouldn't ever drive for 1.05. EVER. I drove my first week for their base rate and realized right away that I would only drive surge.
it's not just about you. drivers are driving for 85 cents right now. $1.05 and a $1 base fare is reasonable.
the reason why uber would never raise the rates to what you are proposing is because you have to understand travis' vision. travis wants uber to be cheaper than owning a car. this is the reason why uber is steadily cutting your pay year after year. uber's vision and business model is geared to keep pax happy. uber's vision for drivers is to get rid of them through driverless cars. uber does not care about you, your pay, or expenses. uber just wants your car on the road.

·
Banned
6,928 Posts
You said it yourself, demand is higher than supply. What do you do when this happens? You increase supply, and the only way to do this long term is to increase the bases for the drivers. They can not keep having the astronomical costs of driver acquisition ($500 + $500) costs and stay in business. Last thing you ever want to become is a K-mart, and I think that is the road uber is headed toward. At some point, only desperate people who can not get another job are going to be doing this, and when that happens, what kind of service do you think they will be providing? When passengers keep getting this kind of service, and they are in cars with people that scare the shit out of them, demand will shrink.
I think this is a unique situation as Uber is trying to consolidate the whole industry and go the Amazon route. They would rather take on heavy losses early for long term gains. The way the system is currently structured actually benefits us the most. Once the market rates eventually reach equilibrium, drivers will be making way less than platinum rates. :(

·
Premium Member
6,734 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Uber wants to show this incredible market share for when they go Public with their stock. And it will probably happen, but after the initial offering, I bet their stock slides tremendously. You simply can not continue to pay this kinda money for driver acquisition. And driverless cars are a pipe dream. Even if they ever happen, most governments will require by law for a driver to be there to take over the car... this kind of regulation has already been proposed in cali.

·
Registered
2,280 Posts
Uber wants to show this incredible market share for when they go Public with their stock. And it will probably happen, but after the initial offering, I bet their stock slides tremendously. You simply can not continue to pay this kinda money for driver acquisition. And driverless cars are a pipe dream. Even if they ever happen, most governments will require by law for a driver to be there to take over the car... this kind of regulation has already been proposed in cali.
what you are saying is true but uber will still not ever raise the rates to $1.75 a mile, 25 cents a minute. this is where you go wrong. drivers are online for 85 cents. as long as there is no problem there is no need for a solution.
La has a zero base fare. uber must change that. La/Oc are the only major markets without a base fare. why do you think La is being screwed over? because drivers are screwing themselves over. every time a driver accepts a uber pool trip he is voluntarily accepting a pay cut. majority of trips in La are now uber pool. so tell me, why would uber change that?

·
Registered
3,678 Posts
it's not just about you. drivers are driving for 85 cents right now. $1.05 and a $1 base fare is reasonable.
the reason why uber would never raise the rates to what you are proposing is because you have to understand travis' vision. travis wants uber to be cheaper than owning a car. this is the reason why uber is steadily cutting your pay year after year. uber's vision and business model is geared to keep pax happy. uber's vision for drivers is to get rid of them through driverless cars. uber does not care about you, your pay, or expenses. uber just wants your car on the road.
I think his plan is to IPO the company for a ridiculous share price before Google takes over the industry with its driverless car tech and buys Uber for pennies on the dollar. The Public holders will be screwed while the first rounders got PAID. Typical tech IPO swindle.

·
Premium Member
62,900 Posts
Travis doesn't want us Uber drivers owning cars either.

At these rates ,it is not possible.

I came to Uber with the dream of upgradeing my vehicle.

These rates make maintaining status quo unsustainable.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts