Uber Drivers Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Dateline: India

OlaCabs, more commonly known as 'Ola' is a highly popular transportation network in India.
They've recently introduced a new, economy-priced service called "Ola Micro" costing 6 rupees
per kilometer (about USD 14.4 cents per mile) with a base fare of 40 rupees ( about $0.60 USD).

http://www.cnbc.com/2016/03/23/indian-uber-rival-ola-launches-009-perkm-low-cost-rides.html

"...take me to the airport, here's a dollar, keep the change..."

·
Registered
482 Posts
I guess they forgot to take into account of the economy in India. You can go a little further with a dollar in India than in the US so this could be similarly compared to Detroits infamous 30 cents/mile rate.

·
Registered
5,036 Posts

OlaCabs, more commonly known as 'Ola' is a highly popular transportation network in India.
They've recently introduces a new, economy-priced service called "Ola Micro" costing 6 rupees
per kilometer (about USD 14.4 cents per mile) with a base fare of 40 rupees ( about $0.60 USD).

http://www.cnbc.com/2016/03/23/indian-uber-rival-ola-launches-009-perkm-low-cost-rides.html

Is this news to you? Unexposed to the division between first and third world countries?

·
Registered
15,929 Posts

They've recently introduces a new, economy-priced service called "Ola Micro" costing 6 rupees

Well rent is cheaper there...

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Is this news to you?
No.

Unexposed to the division between first and third world countries?
I've been working on not exposing myself. Can anyone see my ass ? Hard to miss.....

Take away perhaps is that the drive-me-somewhere-in-your-car-for-cheap model
is only likely to to get cheaper here and abroad (especially for some broads).

Reactions: oobaah

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Rent?
In India, an abandoned car is a condo.
Welcome to my house ! Come on in. Where would you like to go today ?
(3 kids and a goat in the backseat)

·
Registered
17,830 Posts
Ive known several Americans who spent long trips in India.
Piles of dead bodies stacked 3 stories high in kolkata. Bedbugs. Child prostitutes.

Horrible horrible things and condtions.
And most of the insourced software engineers they H1 to America?
They were already upper middle class in India to begin with.

·
Registered
3,772 Posts
Human Resources are no different than any other natural resources when it comes to price elasticity.
A driver with a car is not a scarce resource in most places in the world. That's why, uber has free fleet of cars with drivers whose time is also almost free.
Uber is a great example that proves that no matter how low the rate, somebody will be out there driving.
United States workers' well-being will decline until it reaches the 3rd world in the hands of Uber and the like.

·
Registered
5,036 Posts
Ive known several Americans who spent long trips in India.
Piles of dead bodies stacked 3 stories high in kolkata. Bedbugs. Child prostitutes.

Horrible horrible things and condtions.
And most of the insourced software engineers they H1 to America?
They were already upper middle class in India to begin with.
I worked with many H1 Visa guys. Very cool and polite at work.
Not exactly capable, but hell our division was being spun off for sale. They needed warm bodies in software dev.
We had no idea of their pay or living conditions.

·
Registered
5,036 Posts
I live on the only border between a first and third world country on the planet.

I can drive 30 to 45 minutes south and it is a whole different country. Sometimes it might as well be a whole different planet.

·
Registered
395 Posts
I have stopped driving for uber because the rates are still too high!! I will start again when I get the privilege to pay them for the honor to drive. It's all about the joy I get from driving losers around. I hope to that they soon ask us to tip the riders, for without them we would have no one to drive around. Hurry up Travis, As I want to uber on again.

·
Registered
86 Posts
I guess they forgot to take into account of the economy in India. You can go a little further with a dollar in India than in the US so this could be similarly compared to Detroits infamous 30 cents/mile rate.
Actually, comparitively speaking, that is much BETTER pay than the 30 pennies per mile in Detroit.
A couple USD you can feed your family for a day or two in India. What the heck you doing with $2 in Detroit?

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Actually, comparitively speaking, that is much BETTER pay than the 30 pennies per mile in Detroit.
A couple USD you can feed your family for a day or two in India. What the heck you doing with $2 in Detroit?
In Motor City, you can feed a family of hamsters for $2/day. It's not all bad.

white footed mice Rat Organism Rodent Whiskers

·
Banned
11,813 Posts
I live on the only border between a first and third world country on the planet.

I can drive 30 to 45 minutes south and it is a whole different country. Sometimes it might as well be a whole different planet.
What do you mean? You don't have to drive that far. Some places in San Diego are third world.

·
Registered
703 Posts

They've recently introduced a new, economy-priced service called "Ola Micro" costing 6 rupees
Font Art Circle Number Brand
That is equivalent to $4.00/ gal (considering a gallon is 3.78 Liters). an average car's mpg in Indian traffic conditions is 20. Therefore,gas alone would cost $0.20/mile to drive. India may seems to be a poor country,however,it's the third largest economy in the world right behind USA and China. The real estate in Mumbai is one of the most expensive on the planet,so not surprised at the size of their slums and homelessness. Even the beggars are able to afford these rides home, whistling,singing and spitting in the cars for the poor driver to clean. They do get erotic thrills by dinging the driver's rating too.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts