Uber Drivers Forum banner

Should you call the cops on a pax that insists on driving drunk?

• Yes

Votes: 127 87.6%
  • No

Votes: 18 12.4%
1 - 20 of 411 Posts

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I picked up a female rider this morning in the wee hours. Firstly she had placed the pin on the other side of the neighborhood from where she actually was. When she called I could hear her slurring through the phone as she tried to clarify her location. I finally located her and got her into the car.

When I verified the destination address she had put into the app (which was obviously a residence) she said she had changed her mind and gave me the address of a strip club she had left her car at instead. Since it was 4 in the morning, I was pretty sure the place was not open. I inquired if she was meeting someone there and she said she was going to get her car and drive home (around 15 miles from the club).

I spent pretty much the entire ride trying to convince her that this was a terrible idea. I mentioned the possibility of DUI, hurting herself or someone else and was quickly dismissed with a "oh I have been doing this for over 8 years. It will be fine."

It really bothered me and as I dropped her at her car, I contemplated calling the cops to pull her over. She was definitely over the limit, couldn't even order an Uber properly and slurred our entire conversation. She definitely did not need to be on the road, but she is an adult and I cannot make her decisions for her.

So have you ever called the police on an obviously drunk pax who insists on driving after you drop them off?

·
Registered
15,929 Posts
I picked up a female rider this morning in the wee hours. Firstly she had placed the pin on the other side of the neighborhood from where she actually was. When she called I could hear her slurring through the phone as she tried to clarify her location. I finally located her and got her into the car.

When I verified the destination address she had put into the app (which was obviously a residence) she said she had changed her mind and gave me the address of a strip club she had left her car at instead. Since it was 4 in the morning, I was pretty sure the place was not open. I inquired if she was meeting someone there and she said she was going to get her car and drive home (around 15 miles from the club).

I spent pretty much the entire ride trying to convince her that this was a terrible idea. I mentioned the possibility of DUI, hurting herself or someone else and was quickly dismissed with a "oh I have been doing this for over 8 years. It will be fine."

It really bothered me and as I dropped her at her car, I contemplated calling the cops to pull her over. She was definitely over the limit, couldn't even order an Uber properly and slurred our entire conversation. She definitely did not need to be on the road, but she is an adult and I cannot make her decisions for her.

So have you ever called the police on an obviously drunk pax who insists on driving after you drop them off?
Yes. I followed him and let the cops know where he was too. He got pulled over and I just took off at that point. It was after the bar rush and no big deal as I was heading home anyway.

Funny though, my rating wasn't dinged. I was a pretty new driver so it would have been had he down rated me. Plus that was when we got the 1 and 7 day ratings and mine was 5 for two weeks after that.

He wasn't falling over drunk but definitely impaired. And he knew it. Told me "I shouldn't drive but...".

Yep. You shouldn't have!

·
Premium Member
484 Posts

Haven't had the issue with that one yet. If she says "I'm driving home , it's only 2 blocks (covers mouth and looks around) errr I' er KO thanky fer theeerrrrriiiiiiideeeeeee. driv3r person." I'd say it's your judgement call, you could insist that they let you take them home and they should call Uber tomorrow to get their car. ( Arguing with Drunks is a bad idea)

You can report it to Uber if you really like (And then you have to call the Police first), and no you can't do much about anything once they exit your car the ride is over. If they walk to their car and drive off there's just nothing you can do othen then call the police and report a drunk driver. You did all you could, you can't restrain, or touch another person without their consent, you can't physically prevent them from getting in their car.

FYI: if you grab someone, their wrist, shirt etc, it can be classified as assault if the other party decides to press charges. It may be better to let them go and just call the cops, and let the Police handle it.

·
Registered
1,795 Posts
You need to call 911, don't bother with Youber, it has nothing to do with them. You need to call 911 if you see them getting in their car. Along you way you can nicely question them, are you sure that's a good idea? Can I drop you off at a friend's house instead? Since you're calling 911 anyway you don't need to push too hard and risk a rating ding. I've called probably four times, I wasn't on the clock driving and the second time you call is much easier, unfortunately. Each time I called they say they're sending a unit, don't follow them. They need to know where they are and where they're going of course so don't call if you don't know the area. I followed this little old lady for several miles on the phone with 911. I didn't think she was drunk, maybe too old to drive or something. Finally 911 was just an old lady, let her go. Recently this guy was all over the road swerving, again no one showed up to pull him over. They need car make and model and tags so I report that but after that it's up to them. Definitely don't be afraid to call, it is really important and your job to call.

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
You need to call 911, don't bother with Youber, it has nothing to do with them. You need to call 911 if you see them getting in their car. Along you way you can nicely question them, are you sure that's a good idea? Can I drop you off at a friend's house instead? They need car make and model and tags so I report that but after that it's up to them. Definitely don't be afraid to call, it is really important and your job to call.
So I have to say, I kind of don't agree with you. I do not feel it is MY JOB to call the police. It is something I would have done out of concern for public safety.

In this situation I had actually recieved a stacked ping and after dropping her off went to immediately pick up a passenger a few blocks down. I would have had to give up a surge ride to the airport to get on the phone with the police to report her. Had I not gotten the stacked ping I would have been more likely to have done so.

I still don't think it is my responsibility to dispatch police. I provide enough of a public service by driving the drinkers around when they are inebriated. People have to make their own decisions as rational thinking adults and it is not by responsibility to patrol them.

Would you give up pay on a sizable surge ride to take the time to call? Would you have cancelled the next ride just to make sure she got caught? That's my dilemma in this situation.

·
Registered
1,795 Posts
When you get it and see it enough [on the news] you will call next time. I don't agree with you, takes two seconds. Hope nothing happens to someone you know, think about it next time.

·
Registered
5,597 Posts
This is actually one of the most difficult questions I've had to face.

Example: I picked up a guy after a football game from the home of his friend. He could barely make it to my vehicle, couldn't talk, nodded off intermittently during the fare. Said he was at the game, got hammered, then went to his buddies and drank some more. Figured I was taking him back to his place. Wise move on his part, right?

So, I dropped him off, and concerned to see him actually make it to the door. But NO. He goes to a car parked on the street. I thought he might take a piss on the curb or something cause he was so smashed. But NO. He fumbles around in his pocket, pulls out his keys, jumps in the car and drives off.

Hmmm? What to do, what to do?

I drove off. Not my job to be a snitch, regardless of the consequences, even if dire to me, personally. That is the risk that everyone on the street takes, just like I do.

·
Registered
1,795 Posts
This is actually one of the most difficult questions I've had to face.

Example: I picked up a guy after a football game from the home of his friend. He could barely make it to my vehicle, couldn't talk, nodded off intermittently during the fare. Said he was at the game, got hammered, then went to his buddies and drank some more. Figured I was taking him back to his place. Wise move on his part, right?

So, I dropped him off, and concerned to see him actually make it to the door. But NO. He goes to a car parked on the street. I thought he might take a piss on the curb or something cause he was so smashed. But NO. He fumbles around in his pocket, pulls out his keys, jumps in the car and drives off.

Hmmm? What to do, what to do?

I drove off. Not my job to be a snitch, regardless of the consequences, even if dire to me, personally. That is the risk that everyone on the street takes, just like I do.
I have no idea why this is an issue, especially when it's your pax, who was just in your car? It is your job, you know he is drunk and you know he shouldn't drive and you let him do it. A car near me flipped over on his roof entirely, I have no idea how that is even possible. I pulled over helped the guy out of his car. He couldn't talk or stand up, I made sure he wasn't hurt. Bystanders were there and one girl was on with 911. I stayed and made sure the police knew who the driver was, I instructed him to sit down on the curb, like they do on Cops. Officer appreciated it and I left. I have no idea who the guy is but its absolutely nuts when it was your pax, there is no excuse it is your job.

·
Registered
5,597 Posts
I have no idea why this is an issue, especially when it's your pax, who was just in your car? It is your job, you know he is drunk and you know he shouldn't drive and you let him do it. A car near me flipped over on his roof entirely, I have no idea how that is even possible. I pulled over helped the guy out of his car. He couldn't talk or stand up, I made sure he wasn't hurt. Bystanders were there and one girl was on with 911. I stayed and made sure the police knew who the driver was, I instructed him to sit down on the curb, like they do on Cops. Officer appreciated it and I left. I have no idea who the guy is but its absolutely nuts when it was your pax, there is no excuse it is your job.
Were I that concerned about drunk drivers, I would sit outside a bar and call police 24/7 for every drunk I observed getting into a vehicle.

It's not my job to control drunks other than when they are in my vehicle nor is it my job to snitch to police.

·
Registered
1,795 Posts
Geez, if you think you are a snitch then something will probably happen to someone you know. That's too bad. Preventing a car accident or death is not being a snitch. You are paid to drive, the pax was in your car. It's not a big deal to do the right thing. I didn't say anything but call 911 and let them handle it, not you.

·
Registered
5,597 Posts
Geez, if you think you are a snitch then something will probably happen to someone you know. That's too bad. Preventing a car accident or death is not being a snitch. You are paid to drive, the pax was in your car. It's not a big deal to do the right thing. I didn't say anything but call 911 and let them handle it, not you.
Like I said, IF I were that concerned I'd post at a bar and call in. It's NOT my job, nor will I snitch to cops for the same reason.

Were we that concerned about drunks we'd call the police on every drunk pax for public drunkeness, which is also a crime. And a crime every last one of us overlooks for CASH.

So I hope you can see the hypocrisy in that.

Reactions: Finnegan

·
Registered
2,531 Posts
Were we that concerned about drunks we'd call the police on every drunk pax for public drunkeness, which is also a crime. And a crime every last one of us overlooks for CASH.

So I hope you can see the hypocrisy in that.
You are actually going to compare a drunk in public to a drunk driver? A public drunk is a nuisance - S/He doesn't kill innocent people on the road, only to survive with a bruise to their ego.

Any time a drunk is spotted on the road, I will call the police.

Once, I followed two drunk girls and had 911 on the line. The cops didn't care. They wound up hitting a firetruck and the firemen did nothing about it. "Just a couple of kids," they said.

Guess what? I'll call the cops, even if they aren't drunk and driving bad. I saved a diabetic's life once because I thought he was a drunk driver, had him pulled over, and he was going into hypoglycemic shock. Now, he won't get arrested, but he should get a ticket for driving impaired and not managing his diabetes.

There is NO excuse for drunk driving whether or not Uber exists. People freakin' DIE.

I KNOW a DUI can ruin someone. I KNOW that it's expensive and has an effect on your record. But I also know that you can't bring people - my friends, included - back from the dead. A live person with a criminal/driving record is better off than a dead person.

·
Registered
5,597 Posts
You are actually going to compare a drunk in public to a drunk driver? A public drunk is a nuisance - S/He doesn't kill innocent people on the road, only to survive with a bruise to their ego.
Public drunkeness is also a crime. And one which we overlook for money. We don't know what any drunk will or will not do.

Reactions: KekeLo

·
Registered
5,597 Posts
You're assuming that every drunk driver kills someone or has an accident. That's not the case.

Any time a drunk is spotted on the road, I will call the police.
Were you that concerned you'd go post at the bar and call in drunks, perpetually. But you see you are not THAT concerned.

Reactions: Bart McCoy

·
Registered
1,795 Posts
You're assuming that every drunk driver kills someone or has an accident. That's not the case.

Were you that concerned you'd go post at the bar and call in drunks, perpetually. But you see you are not THAT concerned.
Geez, the difference is your drunk pax was in your car a minute ago and your drunk pax is now driving, drunk. There is nothing after that to discuss. You call 911 and let them handle it. If that is snitching then you have bigger problems and I'm sorry for that. Next time it can be you or someone you know. Don't forget you have a $1K deduction if a drunk driver hits your car when working and they do not cover medical, your car insurance doesn't cover anything when you're working. So think about how screwed you would be.

·
Premium Member
9,400 Posts
So I have to say, I kind of don't agree with you. I do not feel it is MY JOB to call the police. It is something I would have done out of concern for public safety.

In this situation I had actually recieved a stacked ping and after dropping her off went to immediately pick up a passenger a few blocks down. I would have had to give up a surge ride to the airport to get on the phone with the police to report her. Had I not gotten the stacked ping I would have been more likely to have done so.

I still don't think it is my responsibility to dispatch police. I provide enough of a public service by driving the drinkers around when they are inebriated. People have to make their own decisions as rational thinking adults and it is not by responsibility to patrol them.

Would you give up pay on a sizable surge ride to take the time to call? Would you have cancelled the next ride just to make sure she got caught? That's my dilemma in this situation.
Interesting view point and assuming I know there's a big payout on the next ride, sure I want to go for it.

But lets turn this around a little. What if I was dropping a woman off late at night in a sketchy neighborhood and I get a stacked ping. I wait for her to get in the door but for whatever reason she can't, comes back to the car and asks me to take her somewhere else. What do you do?

·
Registered
2,531 Posts
No, I'm assuming that a to kill a person while driving drunk is much more likely than when you are driving a car rather than being publicly intoxicated.

Not a bad idea, but I can only be in one place at one time. Hope you don't have a family member lost to a drunk driver.

·
Registered
5,597 Posts
Geez, the difference is your drunk pax was in your car a minute ago and your drunk pax is now driving, drunk. There is nothing after that to discuss. You call 911 and let them handle it. If that is snitching then you have bigger problems and I'm sorry for that. Next time it can be you or someone you know. Don't forget you have a $1K deduction if a drunk driver hits your car when working and they do not cover medical, your car insurance doesn't cover anything when you're working. So think about how screwed you would be.
People snitch when it suits them. Were anyone really that concerned they'd spend more time snitching. But they aren't.

Reactions: KekeLo

·
Registered
196 Posts
This might sound stupid for most of you but I felt good doing it.

I picked up this drunk dude from a bar/billiard place, he said he's going to pick up his car at his friend's house and then drive himself home, he lives approximate 5 miles from his friend's house. He was obviously drunk as sh*t and I know it can't be good to have him behind the wheel. I told him straight up that he's shouldn't drive, there are tons of cops out there. Blah blah blah fast forward, we got to his friend's house and I said to him, "Hey man, how about I end the trip here and give you a ride home for free so you don't have to drive." He agreed and I drove another 5 miles to his house. No, he didn't tip me but oh well. I didn't want to see the headline on the news the next day saying "Drunk driver killed family of four after being dropped of by Uber driver."

·
Registered
1,795 Posts
People snitch when it suits them. Were anyone really that concerned they'd spend more time snitching. But they aren't.
Sorry but snitching is not in my vocabulary. Reporting a drunk driver to the police is your job, when the pax was just in your car. There is no defense or explanation to say otherwise. I hope you get it and call 911 next time. You sound like the guy who wouldn't snitch on his sister's killer. Nuts.

1 - 20 of 411 Posts