Uber Drivers Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Ride Share Drivers USA (FB) is advertising a Worldwide Stike for Uber/Lyft drivers Monday March 13th
See uber drivers forum: complaints under a storm is brewing

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
What are the odds... even with this Facebook group, this forum... that this group can reach even 20% of all drivers... and even if they can, what are the odds all those drivers are willing to give up a days pay for something that will almost definitely have no impact?
And perhaps they agree to go offline... what are the odds that if it starts surging high that day... that those same drivers remain offline?
I don't get the point. A strike only works if everyone does it and even then it's rarely effective.

·
Registered
318 Posts
Well said Matt. It's not as if a forum or FB group constitutes an employees union. And even when there is a union, many employees don't want to strike, but are forced to due to union membership. Trying to organize a strike amongst forum or fb group members (generally more experienced or inquisitive drivers), will only make it open season for the thousands of noobs, and encourage more people to sign up to drive.

I, for one, will be with those noobs... bring on a "strike," it will be nice to have 6% fewer drivers (at best) on the roads that day... more riders for me.

·
Registered
26 Posts
To strick properly, drivers would need to unite. Go to the airport ques across the country fill all the parking spaces so nonstrikers could not get in. Call the media and picket. The would require a lot of dedication. Good luck!

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
It's just information. At least people are trying to effect change. Looking at the replies helps me to realize that maybe it is human nature to love your misery helps people to actually feel something? What is hard to comprehend is why mock and laugh at the efforts no matter how small?
In order for real change to happen
people actually have to be tired of being sick and tired of a situation...

I have read many posts of clearly intelligent and creative drivers... P Puff actually recommended one way... How about offering and organizing ideas that can get the job done??
My small measly contribution is to educate as many pax and drivers as possible to the other ride share alternatives like Dryver, Hovit and Lyft. The X Drivers barely scraping by may financially benefit from such knowledge.... Silly me... Laugh away....

·
Registered
319 Posts
It's the negative attitudes and succumbing to authority and government that has our nation in the state it is. Uber is a manifestation of life and the way our country/corporations are designed and operating.

Do I think everyone will join the strike? No.

Does every single driver need to join the strike? No!

If pickup times are dramatically longer, even if it's surging and the drivers that are driving even mention the strike, it still sends a message.

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
Have you ever noticed... Narrow minds are usually connected to Big Mouths?
Well I am 6' 8" so I guess I do have a rather big mouth, proportionally... LOL.
Seriously though, I think I'm just realistic. Strikes are generally ineffective, especially if done by easily replaceable employees.
Back in the late 90's, all the grocery store workers here in denver went on strike. Albertsons, Safeway and King Soopers. They sat outside picketing for weeks, possibly even months I don't recall. Their union paid them a small portion of their wages. Do you know what changed? Nothing. People barely scraping by made even less. In the end, they basically had to beg to come back to work and ended up no better off than they were. And that was after weeks... with nearly everyone on board. Why? because it's easy to hire someone to come in and bag groceries who doesn't care about the union. It takes like 20 minutes of training and they are a full-fledged employee. It's an easy job to fill, plenty of people willing to do it.
The effect of a one-day strike, done by like, lets say, 5% of the uber drivers, will not even be a blip on uber's radar. Even if wait times doubled, most people still won't have to wait more than 4-5 minutes for a ride, which most people would find perfectly tolerable.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Well I am 6' 8" so I guess I do have a rather big mouth, proportionally... LOL.
Seriously though, I think I'm just realistic. Strikes are generally ineffective, especially if done by easily replaceable employees.
Back in the late 90's, all the grocery store workers here in denver went on strike. Albertsons, Safeway and King Soopers. They sat outside picketing for weeks, possibly even months I don't recall. Their union paid them a small portion of their wages. Do you know what changed? Nothing. People barely scraping by made even less. In the end, they basically had to beg to come back to work and ended up no better off than they were. And that was after weeks... with nearly everyone on board. Why? because it's easy to hire someone to come in and bag groceries who doesn't care about the union. It takes like 20 minutes of training and they are a full-fledged employee. It's an easy job to fill, plenty of people willing to do it.
The effect of a one-day strike, done by like, lets say, 5% of the uber drivers, will not even be a blip on uber's radar. Even if wait times doubled, most people still won't have to wait more than 4-5 minutes for a ride, which most people would find perfectly tolerable.
Offer something helpful then....

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
I have in the past. My advice is to find a better, more reliable job. Every fast food restaurant I see says now hiring, and many of them are hiring at around $10-12/hour to start, and you can get benefits for working full time and usually close to your home and with no wear and tear on your vehicle. Work your way up to assistant manager or manager and you can actually make a decent salary. If you are willing to be a waiter/waitress, you might make $3/hr-ish, but if you are good you can make much more than that in tips. You might have to put in effort though. Show up to a scheduled shift. Do heavy lifting. Clean restrooms. Etc. There is lots of money out there for people willing to put in the effort.
As long as uber has people signing up to drive faster than they are attracting new customers, they will hold the cards. I don't personally like that scenario, and I don't pretend that I can change it myself.

·
Registered
991 Posts
Sorry the only word I Can't hear is Can't...
BTW: way past the strike issue

Great honest... Maybe that can work
Let's pretend I know Jack shit about Uber.... wait overall I don't. Bit get I'm being honest. I check my fares. Only because of what I see post on this site. I myself felt I was screwed on 2 fares since i have been here and my whooping 200 trips or so. Both on uber pool in the snow on same trip. After fighting my losing battle I decided this... No uber pool. Did I expect this money to come easy? No not really. Not after all the competition of new drivers started. Hell to most of you i am part of the problem as I only started back on September.
I'm only here to try and make the smartest no at I can make and try not to have to Cherry pick my runs.. Not that I'm against that because honestly it's the smartest way to do it. I prefer to o my talk to my PAX if my dumbass can't find them. Or once they are in my car.
So I try to be fully about location location location. Because I'm trying to make as much money in the smallest window because uber is a second job to me as well as having a family just as most of you do.
I try my best to do what I can on the 1 and only platform I can drive on. I can't drive for Lyft. Hovit is a little too new for me and honestly it may be a vehicle age with them as well. I Basically have until March next year before I get booted from uber eligibility unless I can manage a pass because of vehicle condition. On April 28th I have back surgery that I'm being told will put me totally out of commission for 3 months.

I Basically have 7 weeks to bank all I can with only being able to put in 17-25 hours of ushering each week at most. The closer to $30 an hour I can clear the better. But since losing DF to SIS. (Truly me only real complaint) I haven't been able to do that even with trying my normal spots up north. I did hit one this morning in a new spot. Not sure how consistent from here on out but can't hit it early for another week sadly.

For these reasons I can't boycott a company who although sadly is shit in a lot of cases. Still helps me live and truly gives me the only chance of my household going u see when half the income goes away for 3 months. Trust me I get every points in most cases. That's just my case and I'm sure I'm not the only one out there. If there are truly drivers living in their cars.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 · (Edited)
Let's pretend I know Jack shit about Uber.... wait overall I don't. Bit get I'm being honest. I check my fares. Only because of what I see post on this site. I myself felt I was screwed on 2 fares since i have been here and my whooping 200 trips or so. Both on uber pool in the snow on same trip. After fighting my losing battle I decided this... No uber pool. Did I expect this money to come easy? No not really. Not after all the competition of new drivers started. Hell to most of you i am part of the problem as I only started back on September.
I'm only here to try and make the smartest no at I can make and try not to have to Cherry pick my runs.. Not that I'm against that because honestly it's the smartest way to do it. I prefer to o my talk to my PAX if my dumbass can't find them. Or once they are in my car.
So I try to be fully about location location location. Because I'm trying to make as much money in the smallest window because uber is a second job to me as well as having a family just as most of you do.
I try my best to do what I can on the 1 and only platform I can drive on. I can't drive for Lyft. Hovit is a little too new for me and honestly it may be a vehicle age with them as well. I Basically have until March next year before I get booted from uber eligibility unless I can manage a pass because of vehicle condition. On April 28th I have back surgery that I'm being told will put me totally out of commission for 3 months.

I Basically have 7 weeks to bank all I can with only being able to put in 17-25 hours of ushering each week at most. The closer to $30 an hour I can clear the better. But since losing DF to SIS. (Truly me only real complaint) I haven't been able to do that even with trying my normal spots up north. I did hit one this morning in a new spot. Not sure how consistent from here on out but can't hit it early for another week sadly.

For these reasons I can't boycott a company who although sadly is shit in a lot of cases. Still helps me live and truly gives me the only chance of my household going u see when half the income goes away for 3 months. Trust me I get every points in most cases. That's just my case and I'm sure I'm not the only one out there. If there are truly drivers living in their cars.
Maybe check out Dryver. Offer different services such as a Personal Driver, (3 HR min) Corporate Accounts such as transporting vehicles to different dealerships etc... Picking up people and driving their vehicles. You would never use your vehicle on any assignment with Dryver, except meeting at their location.. .They pay per hour plus tips.Still independent contractor and you accept what job you want.. I know .they are hiring in Denver again... Wish you all the best!
P. S. When the time comes that you may not be able to drive due to age of the vehicle... I maybe can help if you would like to continue for a couple of years more, I have a 2005 Saturn that I am most likely not keeping... Great shape 93k miles... It just sits in the garage.

·
Registered
362 Posts
A strike - what could be gained? How about lobbying for the new COO to actually change the culture like TK is advertising he needs? Someone that will realize happy drivers will make happy passengers and ultimately best in class customer service. You want the best TNC then have the best drivers and cars - period. I have volunteered several times to help Uber with their image, but I guess TK does not read this forum. :)He says he wants a peer - well who better than a current driver with leadership training skills.:cool:

·
Premium Member
998 Posts
A strike wont be effective if passengers are not on our side. The general public believes we make on average $15/hr, and they think thats more than enough.

And the problem is, some of us *do* make that much, and often more. Those that dont would essentially be asking passengers to pay more, so that they can earn more. And most people do not want to subsidize underperforming Uber drivers.

This can be a stupidly easy job to do, and it pays appropriately if thats how you do it.

On the other hand, like most other commission-based jobs, there is potential for anyone to be the highest earner amongst their peers.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts