Uber Drivers Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
http://sanfrancisco.cbslocal.com/20...t-misunderstanding-deaf-driver-san-francisco/

SAN FRANCISCO (CBS SF) - A woman who jumped out of her Lyft ride and broke her ankle because she feared she was being kidnapped on Thursday night in San Francisco actually had a deaf driver who didn't know she was talking to him, police said Friday.

San Francisco police spokesman Officer Albie Esparza said that officers contacted the hearing-impaired driver and determined that the incident was merely an unfortunate misunderstanding.

Esparza said the woman requested a ride via the transportation network company's app from the Diamond Heights neighborhood to the Sunset District around 11:20 p.m.

She got into a silver Nissan Quest and the driver, a man in his 40s, apparently made a turn that the passenger thought was the wrong direction. The passenger tried to inquire but the driver didn't hear her, Esparza said.

The passenger apparently became uneasy and decided to jump from the car in the 300 block of Corbett Avenue, in the Corona Heights neighborhood, Esparza said.

The woman suffered a broken ankle as she tried to run away, Esparza said.

Passengers should note that ridesharing companies regularly hire deaf or hearing-impaired drivers.

·
Registered
989 Posts
I had a deaf driver on uber and was given a prompt to ente my destination before the driver arrived and that he would be hearing impaired. Guess Lyft doesn't have this

·
Premium Member
5,036 Posts
Completely deaf on one side the side, the passenger is on fortunately / unfortunately? so I kind of relate to the driver. My first thought is to question the passenger was in her normal state of mind or a chemically induced state of mind. I'm not being too harsh on the driver.

·
Registered
580 Posts
Lyft doesn't have a way at the moment to tell a passenger before they get in that the driver is hearing impaired. It would be useful for those drivers to have a sign stating such so misunderstandings such as this don't occur.

Not being critical just saying lesson learned yes?

·
Registered
1,129 Posts
Just wow. Deaf drivers. BEEEP! WATCH OUT! TRAIN'S COMING.

Here's to Uber hiring the physically and mentally disabled!

·
Registered
125 Posts
How do I get uber to tell pax I'm deaf? That sounds like an advantage to me. Always have destination inputted and don't have to talk to them.
Go to your partner uber account on your PC, and select 'Deaf or hard of hearing' in the accessability settings - which is just under the profile section down the bottom - This will enable the feature of letting the passenger know their driver's deaf and asks for destination

·
Registered
580 Posts
Go to your partner uber account on your PC, and select 'Deaf or hard of hearing' in the accessability settings - which is just under the profile section down the bottom - This will enable the feature of letting the passenger know their driver's deaf and asks for destination
Of course that will backfire when you get that passenger who knows sign language

1 - 12 of 12 Posts