Uber Drivers Forum banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
On Sunday, I drove a woman to LAX airport from the Hollywood Hills... about a 45-minute drive.

When I arrived to the house, I waited a few minutes. Then all of a sudden I just see her appear behind my car, just staring, stone-faced. I was confused at first, but later realized she probably wanted to use the trunk. Most "normal" people would verbally greet and let me know they need to get in the trunk. You know, standard communication.

So I get out, greet her, and help her load her luggage into the trunk. She murmurs something back. Her facial expression looked like a bit of disgust and perhaps a bit of fear.

I don't know if she had an issue with me due to me being male (man-hater or scared of men), or if it's race-related, or perhaps socio-economic class related (looks down on others she figures have less money). Or all three. One can only guess. I don't think she lived at the location, but was visiting family and was on her way back home.

Upon starting the trip, I see she's going to the airport. She didn't select the specific Terminal on her app, so halfway through the ride, I said "Excuse me, which Terminal are you going to?"

She blurts out "Southwest!" rapidly, breathing out air, in a nervous manner as if I was holding her hostage or something. I tried saying something to lighten the mood and perhaps get a relaxing response, but she was silent. She was just unfriendly and seemingly nervous throughout the whole trip. I told her "Thank you" at the end of the trip, and she muttered "Thank you" back as if she really didn't want to. When I went to unload her bags, I decided to not say anything to see if she'd say anything back ("Thanks", "Goodbye", etc.) And she said nothing.

By the end of the trip, I figured she'd give me less than 5 stars, and I figured and tipping was out of the question.

I gave her 3 stars and selected "Attitude" as the reason.

Surprisingly, I later saw she left me about a 20% tip.

So I wondered why a person who seemed to dislike me or was just otherwise unfriendly would leave at tip? Tipping is usually an indication that they received 5-star service, so I assumed she also left 5-stars.

So:

A.) That's just her natural personality. She may not even be aware of it.

or

B.) Felt bad about her attitude and realized she misjudged me.

I mean, I helped her load and unload her bags, I'm always friendly to the passenger, and I drive smoothly, and brake & accelerate in a smooth, methodical manner.

Have you ever had similar incidences where the person seemed to have an attitude, be unfriendly, rude, and then surprised you by tipping?

Now, do I in retrospect feel bad about giving her 3 stars and selecting "Attitude"? Not at all. She still had a bad attitude, even if she were to tip $100. Maybe she'll be more aware of it and work on it for the next driver. Or not. I forget what her driver rating was, but I think it was 4.6-something if I recall...

·
Registered
215 Posts
Possibly an individual that is high functioning but on the spectrum. I've had a few passengers like that, won't engage and murmurs everything/facial expression due to processing of response. But they've gone out of their way to tip me because of social standards.
Yeah, I was going to say just this. Very likely she has Aspergers and is very socially awkward. A situation like dealing with a stranger driving them to the airport where they will get on a plane filled with strangers is enough to put someone on the spectrum into a panic.

·
Registered
4,845 Posts
On Sunday, I drove a woman to LAX airport from the Hollywood Hills... about a 45-minute drive.

When I arrived to the house, I waited a few minutes. Then all of a sudden I just see her appear behind my car, just staring, stone-faced. I was confused at first, but later realized she probably wanted to use the trunk. Most "normal" people would verbally greet and let me know they need to get in the trunk. You know, standard communication.

So I get out, greet her, and help her load her luggage into the trunk. She murmurs something back. Her facial expression looked like a bit of disgust and perhaps a bit of fear.

I don't know if she had an issue with me due to me being male (man-hater or scared of men), or if it's race-related, or perhaps socio-economic class related (looks down on others she figures have less money). Or all three. One can only guess. I don't think she lived at the location, but was visiting family and was on her way back home.

Upon starting the trip, I see she's going to the airport. She didn't select the specific Terminal on her app, so halfway through the ride, I said "Excuse me, which Terminal are you going to?"

She blurts out "Southwest!" rapidly, breathing out air, in a nervous manner as if I was holding her hostage or something. I tried saying something to lighten the mood and perhaps get a relaxing response, but she was silent. She was just unfriendly and seemingly nervous throughout the whole trip. I told her "Thank you" at the end of the trip, and she muttered "Thank you" back as if she really didn't want to. When I went to unload her bags, I decided to not say anything to see if she'd say anything back ("Thanks", "Goodbye", etc.) And she said nothing.

By the end of the trip, I figured she'd give me less than 5 stars, and I figured and tipping was out of the question.

So I wondered why a person who seemed to dislike me or was just otherwise unfriendly would leave at tip? Tipping is usually an indication that they received 5-star service, so I assumed she also left 5-stars.

So:

or

I mean, I helped her load and unload her bags, I'm always friendly to the passenger, and I drive smoothly, and brake & accelerate in a smooth, methodical manner.

Have you ever had similar incidences where the person seemed to have an attitude, be unfriendly, rude, and then surprised you by tipping?

Now, do I in retrospect feel bad about giving her 3 stars and selecting "Attitude"? Not at all. She still had a bad attitude, even if she were to tip $100. Maybe she'll be more aware of it and work on it for the next driver. Or not. I forget what her driver rating was, but I think it was 4.6-something if I recall...
your over thinking this, she just got off a flight, maybe tired,just wanted to go home, maybe things on her mind,etc, jmo

·
Premium Member
39 Posts
Believe it or not, some people just behave like that. I had one person lie on me and say that I was in a verbal altercation with some thug on the street while I was driving, whereas in reality, there was no argument. He claimed that he was concerned for his safety.

However, I received a tip for that same exact ride, which was weird.

Reactions: Rakos

·
Registered
418 Posts

So:

or

She's a woman that all you need to know with respect to her attitude. You picked her up in the Hollywood Hills, so that means she owns the World and everyone rents space from her, lol. Either hungover, going through the change of life, or just attitude because her vacation/trip was over......who knows. Nowadays, basically every woman shits on a man in the service industry because they can get away with it and the #me too PC world. It's sad!

·
Premium Member
11,637 Posts

So:

or

Sounds like her mood had nothing to do with you, and maybe she's usually not a B****.

You have no idea what happened before you picked her up. She probably realized she was "off" with you, but appreciated you didn't blast her and put her out of the car for it.

Sometimes ya just wanna be left alone to stew, but ya still gotta be near other people, yanno?

·
Premium Member
2,256 Posts
Some people still treat rideshare like a restaurant, bar or even taxi where tipping is not a complement but just part of the cost. Uber has been on the forefront of a new,more millennial friendly tipping etiquette, but not all are bought in yet.

·
Registered
175 Posts

So:

or

Maybe she just robbed a bank and was freaking out about getting caught or she seriously cannot handle public life? Who knows people are really weird

·
Premium Member
2,737 Posts
She's a woman that all you need to know with respect to her attitude. You picked her up in the Hollywood Hills, so that means she owns the World and everyone rents space from her, lol. Either hungover, going through the change of life, or just attitude because her vacation/trip was over......who knows. Nowadays, basically every woman shits on a man in the service industry because they can get away with it and the #me too PC world. It's sad!
Why is it that when a guy is rude you attribute it to being a ********, but when it's a woman, it's obviously "life changes" or attitude because of her inability to deal with life, or drugs/alcoholism? Could it be that we're really not that different from you, and sometimes act in the same fashion? Does everything have to be twisted to blame it on sex differences?

Beyond that, you ignorantly assume that we're all man haters, and "out to get you" because we're vengeful *****es. That's absolute BS. Two husbands, two sons and hundreds of men who have served under me and not once have I ever crap on anyone "because I could." I've shit on exactly one out of revenge, (1st husband) but he was an exceptional failure in need of help.

Finally. you seem to think that #MeToo is like an exclusive social club that we wear with honor. Nothing can be further from the truth. #MeToo is about coming forth and facing the horrors that have occurred in our lives. It's about garnering the strength to face reality, and to not have to hide the shame inside for the rest of our lives. It's about fighting back and demanding change so that others, like your mom, wife, sister and daughter, don't have to face the same horrors that some of us did. We're not proud, but we're not going to let ignorance tear us down and destroy our road to recovery.

Please try harder next time rather than make baseless assumptions and accusations.

Reactions: Derpdederpdederp

·
Registered
175 Posts
Why is it that when a guy is rude you attribute it to being a &%[email protected]!*, but when it's a woman, it's obviously "life changes" or attitude because of her inability to deal with life, or drugs/alcoholism? Could it be that we're really not that different from you, and sometimes act in the same fashion? Does everything have to be twisted to blame it on sex differences?

Beyond that, you ignorantly assume that we're all man haters, and "out to get you" because we're vengeful *****es. That's absolute BS. Two husbands, two sons and hundreds of men who have served under me and not once have I ever crap on anyone "because I could." I've shit on exactly one out of revenge, (1st husband) but he was an exceptional failure in need of help.

Finally. you seem to think that #MeToo is like an exclusive social club that we wear with honor. Nothing can be further from the truth. #MeToo is about coming forth and facing the horrors that have occurred in our lives. It's about garnering the strength to face reality, and to not have to hide the shame inside for the rest of our lives. It's about fighting back and demanding change so that others, like your mom, wife, sister and daughter, don't have to face the same horrors that some of us did. We're not proud, but we're not going to let ignorance tear us down and destroy our road to recovery.

Please try harder next time rather than make baseless assumptions and accusations.

·
Premium Member
6,876 Posts
Then all of a sudden I just see her appear behind my car, just staring, stone-faced. I was confused at first, but later realized she probably wanted to use the trunk
Many pax are under the assumption that we know where they are going, because they put in a destination. Perhaps she expected you to know Airport, in which case why weren't you ready with an open trunk, expecting people with luggage?

Have you ever had similar incidences where the person seemed to have an attitude, be unfriendly, rude, and then surprised you
My strangest was a drunk who got in and jokingly but seriously profiled me (out loud) as a skinhead psycho who was going to knife him during the ride. Even stranger was that the guy was white.

I was cool about it, and 10 minutes later he was apologizing profusely for his wrong assumptions.

She could have just had a fight with her SO on the phone.
Or maybe her PO. Maybe she is on her way to a court hearing.

·
Registered
418 Posts
Why is it that when a guy is rude you attribute it to being a &%[email protected]!*, but when it's a woman, it's obviously "life changes" or attitude because of her inability to deal with life, or drugs/alcoholism? Could it be that we're really not that different from you, and sometimes act in the same fashion? Does everything have to be twisted to blame it on sex differences?

There it is in a nutshell "hundreds of men have served under me".....if a man would utter those words, a la Trump did vs. AF, a world of scorn would be behest on them.
Not I have had the pleasure of working with hundreds of men to which it was an absolute pleasure........case in point, men are beneath you and women are on equal ground unless they cross you.

·
Premium Member
2,737 Posts
I served more than 2 decades in the US Navy, and during my tenure had COMMAND of hundreds of military personnel, both men and women, who weren't my friends, they weren't my peers, they were subordinates placed under me to get work done. I wore the title COMMANDING OFFICER for a reason, and it wasn't to make friends like a social club.

I don't care whether someone is male or female, I only care about getting a job done. ALL, however, were treated equally. I didn't stand for sexist remarks then, and I won't stand for it here either.

Reactions: BikingBob and Rakos
1 - 20 of 38 Posts