Uber Drivers Forum banner

Will you still buy an electric vehicle with the subsidy cancelled?

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Premium Member
9,104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The $15,000 electric vehicle (EV) will be eliminated by the incoming PC government. Without this subisidy the price difference between and EV and Internal Combustion Engine (ICE) vehicle will be too great to justify buying an EV. And, as well, the subsidies to build the charging stations (which are very expensive) will also be eliminated, making it unlikely any business would install one on their premises, for their EV customers. This may be the death of the EV in Ontario!

See link:

https://www.thestar.com/news/queens...t-the-brakes-on-electric-vehicle-rebates.html

·
Premium Member
3,727 Posts
I have some inside information from the Department of Energy. The civil servants are on hold. They are at their desks but have nothing to do. The Cap and Trade money paid for all the retrofit grants and other programs so those programs will now have no funding. It has taken years of work to set up these programs and now they are being eliminated. It will take years to get them back and we will never be in a lead situation again.

The person I know was behind a government program to facilitate the sale of Ontario energy technology to other provinces and countries. She will be reassigned. It's a sad day and puts us back many years. Those high tech jobs will never emerge to the degree they could have. We will give them up to more enlightened jurisdictions like California.

All of this for 19th century economic thinking! How is that good for the average Ontarian?

·
Premium Member
1,289 Posts
Revenue that goes to pay for road maintenance and improvement is partially derived from the gasoline tax.
The greener the vehicle, the less the user is paying towards that end yet is still allowed to use the same roadway as those that are contributing more. Damn right they should cancel the incentive. You greenies have had a free ride long enough. It's a good time to cancel the subsidy. Not only are you not paying your fair share of the gasoline tax, you were also getting a grant for not helping to pay for improved roads. Time to pay up!

·
Premium Member
19,597 Posts
The $15,000 electric vehicle (EV) will be eliminated by the incoming PC government. Without this subisidy the price difference between and EV and Internal Combustion Engine (ICE) vehicle will be too great to justify buying an EV. And, as well, the subsidies to build the charging stations (which are very expensive) will also be eliminated, making it unlikely any business would install one on their premises, for their EV customers. This may be the death of the EV in Ontario!

See link:

https://www.thestar.com/news/queens...t-the-brakes-on-electric-vehicle-rebates.html
Without incentive the price is too great, I wouldn't buy it. They better not pull that out before I get the Bolt lol.

Hey, gbaby , do you think that global warming is a problem? Do you think it is caused by people or is it a natural fluctuation?
It's caused by China:

https://www.vox.com/policy-and-poli...tweets-global-warming-paris-climate-agreement

:)

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
Hopefully Doug Ford will do the right thing and subsidize v8 cars instead of EV's as another way to help citizens cope with rising gas prices.

Or maybe even give a rebate on superchargers and turbo kits so that people with little 4 cylinders can affordably make big power.

I'll write to my local MP

·
Premium Member
3,727 Posts
I think you are being sarcastic, dmoney155 . The article you reference is a list of Trumps confused reasoning.

I have heard intelligent, reasonable people say that the problem is caused mainly by China. I don't think that's accurate but, putting that aside, it is a moral argument that it isn't fair we should suffer while China to pollutes and profits. Well that wouldn't be fair but the problem is beyond tit-for-tat spats- it's global and it's existential.

But to pursue the moral angle a bit I think that's a lot like saying that because thieves steal it makes it OK for me to steal. I think we have to do what European nations do and behave morally with regards to reducing greenhouse gas emissions. In our day-to-day lives we forget the consequences of global warming as we drift towards an ever warmer future. Wars and refugees, wildlife extinctions, desertification, rising sea-levels, monster storms and more.

Well, that's my position, gbaby . You support Ford, what's your position on this? You think your guy is so great but he isn't helping the environment: he is sabotaging all the progress we have made over the past few years. He will set us back a generation. Maybe you think we should all go back to the glorious past like the year 2000 when we were choking on smog on most summer days. If we had never closed those coal plants electricity would now be a lot cheaper. More money in our pockets as Ford would say.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts