Uber Drivers Forum banner
41 - 60 of 63 Posts
I take it they don't already query your mileage at each term renewal?

Both Allstate and Esurance (in CA, at least) require that.
I can't think of any insurance company that wouldn't do that, for a whole host of reasons. This story is suspect.

Wait is that something people do with insurance, cancel for a week when you are not driving your car?
No..,they don't let you do that.

Yes, you are 107,000 time more likely to get into accident than someone who drove just 1 mile. Insurance is a game of chance. For every mile driven, the insurer is liable for a potential accident. Therefore more miles = more likely an accident is about to happen. Just because you didn't get into an accident in the past 107,000 miles does not mean you will not have one (or less likely to have one) during your 107,001th mile. It just means the the insurance company gets to enjoy money paid for the 107,000 miles you've done.

The insurance people love people who just park their cars in their garages. Easy money.
I insure three of my cars at a time for daily use. Allstate lets me put two on deferred status so I switch my summer and winter cars. Ther rest are on Haggerty or General business plan. When deferred I pay nothing as long as I do not drive it.

Hello. I just want to ask. what type of insurance i need for uber. I've got normal insurance do i need to cancel to make another one . Thanks
If you are located in London, England, you need to ask this question in the local section of the forum. 99+% of the comments you get here will be pretty useless for you.

If you are in London, Somehwere In The US, sit back and enjoy.

I always lie about it
It'll come back to you. If ever you get in an accident!!
I was involved in an accident, not my fault, had 3 pax in my car.
Totaled my car, nobody got hurt!!
Stupid young female driver, driving her dad's car in Scottsdale, AZ. was in the left-hand turn lane, decided to change lanes and got us good.
If I didn't have rideshare insurance, I would have not been covered, even though I was on the Uber app with pax.
Regardless if you are at the time en route to pick up, and have pax in your car until drop off. Uber says their insurance will cover you and your pax for 1 million. Not true!! If you don't have rideshare insurance. Your insurance company can deny payment as well as Uber!!

Hello. I just want to ask. what type of insurance i need for uber. I've got normal insurance do i need to cancel to make another one . Thanks
Go to Allstate cheaper on rideshare insurance. If you don't have rideshare insurance, lots of luck if you get in an accident!!

It'll come back to you. If ever you get in an accident!!
I was involved in an accident, not my fault, had 3 pax in my car.
Totaled my car, nobody got hurt!!
Stupid young female driver, driving her dad's car in Scottsdale, AZ. was in the left-hand turn lane, decided to change lanes and got us good.
If I didn't have rideshare insurance, I would have not been covered, even though I was on the Uber app with pax.
Regardless if you are at the time en route to pick up, and have pax in your car until drop off. Uber says their insurance will cover you and your pax for 1 million. Not true!! If you don't have rideshare insurance. Your insurance company can deny payment as well as Uber!!

Go to Allstate cheaper on rideshare insurance. If you don't have rideshare insurance, lots of luck if you get in an accident!!
THIS IS MOST IMPORTANT^^^^^^^^

Here in America if you have not gotten a RS rider to accompany your personal insurance They can deny you coverage. IF they deny you coverage Goober will not cover you.
Just get RS gap insurance, Or pay more and get a Commercial policy.

In California they don't have to ask.

They look it up on your mileage reported at smog check.

If you get your vehicle serviced at a dealer and oil change place it's also recorded.

I think that's the way Carfax gets its info.
In California, Farmers asked me a few times.... Drive a Prius and smog check not needed (yet). Oil change serviced at dealer.

In California, Farmers asked me a few times.... Drive a Prius and smog check not needed (yet). Oil change serviced at dealer.
I think all newer cars are exempt for smog check. Don't remember exactly how many years somewhere between 5-10 years.

Mine is a 2006 and it required a smog check. I just got it done last week.

I think all newer cars are exempt for smog check. Don't remember exactly how many years somewhere between 5-10 years.

Mine is a 2006 and it required a smog check. I just got it done last week.
When I Googled "CA smog checks " this showed up at the top of the list. (emphasis theirs)

Smog Checks are required biennially (every other year) on vehicles more than eight model-years old. Additionally, a Smog Check is required if you sell a vehicle that is more than four model-years old and when registering an out-of-state vehicle for the first time in California

Attachments

Reactions: observer
When I Googled "CA smog checks " this showed up at the top of the list. (emphasis theirs)

Smog Checks are required biennially (every other year) on vehicles more than eight model-years old. Additionally, a Smog Check is required if you sell a vehicle that is more than four model-years old and when registering an out-of-state vehicle for the first time in California
Yea, I couldn't remember the years but whenever I sell a car I usually sell it right after it passes smog.

In California, sellers of cars are responsible for the smog check.

I can't think of any insurance company that wouldn't do that, for a whole host of reasons. This story is suspect.

No..,they don't let you do that.
My agent said if it's over a month, he can do the storage insurance. I like to travel out of state or out of country, and I've done these before Covid-19. No problem trying to save a few bucks here. They even offer a free electronic device to monitor your car if your car does not have the capability by itself.

Y
Same in NY also Geico

I've never had an insurance company drop me for mileage ,but I know they charge you by your yearly milage among other things.
Yea.
Why would they drop you?
They make MONEY by SELLING you insurance.
The motivation is to sell you as much of it as possible, not less.

They may increase your premium a little, but if you have a good record ... why?

Discussion starter · #56 ·
I am with Allstate (rideshare insurance). They have a Drivewise app on your phone that you download. That monitors your speed, braking, etc. I love it!! I have saved a bundle by being a safe driver :smiles:
Just what I want is some dictator telling me where I can and can't go. Right now we have a choice to have this app. I think in the future we might not have a choice to not have these app's. I don't support these app's. They will turn on you eventually.

The allstate drivewise app actually lets you delete trips where you have bad braking or you excessively speed, i mean when you weren't driving..

I just tweak the permissions on my phone to make the app switch off.

I am with Farmers.
In talking with my agent the will charge you more but the amount is not that much.
With Farmers they "top" mileage is 19.000 .
Meaning if you report 19,000 but really drive 50.000 you may as well report the 50.000 because the charge is the same.
They will not caancel or deny a claim if you under report....they will just adjust your premium going forward if they find you drive more than reported

41 - 60 of 63 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.