Uber Drivers Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know everyone has their own reasons to drive for Uber.
Here’re top 5 reasons that I can think of:
---Flexibility of working anytime you want (Probably #1)
---Earn extra income.
---Enjoy meeting new people.
---Seeing new things or places.
---Tax write-off.

For me is the flexibility to drive anytime and make some extra income, even though it’s below min wage.

Looks like there’s not much we can do to fight this giant, uber is controlling everything including their high commission fee, ridiculously low fares and stupid tipping policy.

Moreover, supply is way over demand now, creates longer downtime for all drivers. But uber don’t care because they don’t have to pay you for that. As a result, I drive a lot less nowadays.

Frankly, I don’t think anyone can make a living with uber anymore.

Can you share you thoughts? Why you still drive for uber?

Let's hear your side of story!

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 · (Edited)
My most recent earning report, I was online close to 4 hrs (with lots of downtime).
Got 3 completed trips, total est. payout is about $23 (No tip, as usual).
So it's already worse than min wage (before other expenses like gas...).
Sometimes I wonder why I still drive for uber!

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Yes, I drive in SA only. I usually hangout at the airport, probably not the best spot.

Your earning is really good, where and when do you drive in SA? If you don't mind sharing...

There's interesting article today from Washington Post about "How much uber drivers actually make per hour".

Houston is only $8.43 per hour (after all expenses).

·
Registered
6 Posts
Usually start at home and let the rides guide me. If drop off airport, I hightail it out of there either to DT or Med Center. Usually get about 2 miles out and get ping. I've been getting stacks and back to backs a lot.

·
Premium Member
60,470 Posts
I know everyone has their own reasons to drive for Uber.
Here're top 5 reasons that I can think of:
---Flexibility of working anytime you want (Probably #1)
---Earn extra income.
---Enjoy meeting new people.
---Seeing new things or places.
---Tax write-off.

For me is the flexibility to drive anytime and make some extra income, even though it's below min wage.

Looks like there's not much we can do to fight this giant, uber is controlling everything including their high commission fee, ridiculously low fares and stupid tipping policy.

Moreover, supply is way over demand now, creates longer downtime for all drivers. But uber don't care because they don't have to pay you for that. As a result, I drive a lot less nowadays.

Frankly, I don't think anyone can make a living with uber anymore.

Can you share you thoughts? Why you still drive for uber?

Let's hear your side of story!
Lack of imagination.
Good employment for fugitive of Justice.

Like to pawn things left in car.

I can drive around in middle of night and look normal.

·
Registered
163 Posts
I'm at 12-18 an hour as well. I start downtown, end up at the airport, and basically all over the place. I did however sign up 2 years ago, so uber only takes 20% . Not sure if for other people is 25 or 28.

·
Registered
76 Posts
I'm retired and drive to get out of the house and make a few extra bucks. I only drive about one day a week and only during the day. I've had better luck late afternoon to evening than I have in the morning.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Honestly, for me, it's about making more money and social perks. You get to meet really laid back and cool people around SA. I once had a group of kids come in my car and hot box the shit out of it. I'm not really a lame person, although I don't really prefer any of that in my car, but I guess that was considered a tip for me. So, throughout my whole day doing uber I was just relaxed to the fullest.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Yes, I drive in SA only. I usually hangout at the airport, probably not the best spot.

Your earning is really good, where and when do you drive in SA? If you don't mind sharing...

There's interesting article today from Washington Post about "How much uber drivers actually make per hour".

Houston is only $8.43 per hour (after all expenses).
I just started last week and know the hot spots in general. If you really want to sit around for 15-30 minutes for guaranteed UberX/XL/Black riders then I highly suggest you park at the SA Airport (Cell Phone area). You can just hang out and relax, mess around on your phone and play a few app games and wait for someone to ding you. I know some folks on here are sketchy when it comes to making money for higher demands, but I'll be a cool and chill person and tell you that the best areas to really hang out during the weekdays 8am-11pm are; UTSA, La Cantera, Airport, Forum, Alamo Parkway, Downtown, RIM, Trinity college and Incarnate area, Hildebrande, San Pedro, Zoo, Dominion (If you don't have the best living lifestyle, be prepared to see houses that make you feel very poor), malls (I highly suggest to hang around Airport and all along 410 west and east). Now, believe it or not the SOUTH SIDE has plenty of riders needed, but in all seriousness you are at your own risk by picking up riders at the roughest and low poverty parts of south side SA --No, I am not judging anyone on how their lifestyle is, but only from what I am aware and how the city operates with crime rate. Also, if you're new to this job be sure that the vehicle you're using is gas friendly; I had to switch vehicles because I didn't like the fact that my car could only make 18/23, and I felt there's really no reason to show off my car for girls or guys, although it's fast and gets from point A-B.

Tip:

-Be friendly, generous and courteous and respectful (You are being rated from your performance, safety and character). I warn you that there will be haters among the riders, rude and obnoxious, drunk ass hats that will vomit or just act stupid, but just be at ease unless it gets bad then you have every right to kick them out your vehicle and give a full detailed explanation to why you did.

-I noticed that some like to be crafty and wrap small gifts and snacks, but I took a different route by leaving out snacks and water in the front and back. If you seriously like to take the time and effort to prepare a package for each rider then that's totally up to you, but it can get costly unless you know how to budget that part from your share.

-Sometimes the app is ******ed and will misguide you to places you've never been to, and in reality it is guiding you directly to their cellphone with the application. You will notice it with the green pickup indication. It will be difficult at first because you're thinking that you may have to step out of your vehicle (You do have the choice to just step outside and open their doors, but that would be considered UberBlack, or unless this person may need a hand with excessive luggage, or is handicap --don't be a &%[email protected]!*!). You can actually download 2 different apps from the settings; google and waze or just use their integrated map --which is a cancer in my opinion.

- Try not to flirt or get emotionally attached to riders, because after all it's just business and you're only picking up and dropping off the clients/riders. I mean it's really up to you if you feel the need to have a friendship or relationship with the rider after the job is done. I have read on some forums that uber drivers have fell in love, had sex, impregnated, multiple affairs, sex being offered as tips and etc. Trust me! You will encounter quite a few pretty girls and studs (if you're a female uber, or gay, whichever you prefer).

-Performance, I have mentioned this previously, but this will determine on how you get your rider from point A-B. Try not to speed unless they tell you that they need to get there ASAP (I'd still drive cautiously, but not to a point where I'd get a ticket). Remember: Everything and everyone can rate you as a rider and driver.

-I would just park and hangout in the areas you know and feel that you can make money. Trust me. It's worth the longevity and hassle, but once you start rolling you will start to pick up more riders on the way. One of the many things I love.

Ok, I hope that I have fully expressed in full detail of my 1 week experience with uber, currently going on 3 weeks now. Oh, and my first payout was around $556 after Uber's deductions, and I am also using Lyft but I find it difficult to use both apps as if I get dinged on one and I'm already on a destination, I can no longer pickup the other driver. Majority of your riders will not want another rider with them, plus it's not really a good look on you as a driver.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts