Uber Drivers Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Premium Member
304 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I am usually able to update the Uber Driver app through Play Store. This time, Play Store does not show an update available. But the Uber Driver app itself suggests updating, and asks for your password. Doesn't feel right. What are your thoughts?
Product Black Communication Device Font Screenshot

·
12,574 Posts
I am usually able to update the Uber Driver app through Play Store. This time, Play Store does not show an update available. But the Uber Driver app itself suggests updating, and asks for your password. Doesn't feel right. What are your thoughts? View attachment 620045
Uninstall it and then go into the Play Store to reinstall it. That way you're sure you're getting a legit version. Once you install the version from the Play Store I would change your password though. In case someone has somehow got into your current account, it'll remove them. I wouldn't do anything on this account except uninstall it. If someone has somehow got into your account everything you do they can see

·
Premium Member
3,416 Posts
I got that message in the Inbox too. It seems legit. When I tap the notice I get an image of the app in the Playstore, and a link at the bottom to open the app in the Playstore. The "install" button is just part of the screenshot. The only live link is the "OPEN IN PLAY STORE APP", which takes you to the Driver app in the store.

I suspect you are being prompted for your google password to access the playstore.

(My app was up to date as well. But the app was likely updated recently.)

·
12,574 Posts
My concern is, we have to enable overlay on Androids. I don't know how iPhones work buy overlay allows Uber to see everything going on on your screen. So if a hacker or scammer has somehow gained access to the app, they can put what appears to be a legit app function but its not. So any info you type in this fake function, go straight to the scammers. So somehow they got access to the Uber app and have put this fake window or function over the real app you're going to be giving them your password. Your safest bet would be to delete it and go to your Play Store to reinstall it. You can never be too careful. That link could be malware as well.

·
Premium Member
1,408 Posts
OP: Often times an app won't show it has an update available when you view it in the playstore app list.

You have to actually tap the specific app within the playstore, which then goes to that app's specific playstore page, and viola you will see the blue "OPEN" button has changed to "UPDATE".

·
Premium Member
304 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
When I search for the Uber Driver App in Play Store, the button says Open, not Update. This is a strange development. No voilá for me.

·
Premium Member
3,416 Posts
When I search for the Uber Driver App in Play Store, the button says Open, not Update. This is a strange development. No voilá for me.
Did you read my post? Uber is sending out that update notification regardless of whether you need it or not. You obviously didn't need it. Neither did I. And I'll bet a dollar to a hole in a donut the password you were being prompted for was for the google play store. Daisy may be right (and often is) that the message is an exploit, but that would be a tricky one in this case Uber seems to have spammed a lot of drivers with the message. I felt comfortable clicking the link. But like Disgusted said, it it is likely an "update" that benefits Uber.

Of course if I suddenly disappear from the forum it may be because I was indeed hacked, the hackers stole all my Uber money, and I can't afford my UP membership dues. In that case please be on the lookout for my go-fund-a-broke-uber-driver campaign.

·
Premium Member
24,066 Posts
I am usually able to update the Uber Driver app through Play Store. This time, Play Store does not show an update available. But the Uber Driver app itself suggests updating, and asks for your password. Doesn't feel right. What are your thoughts? View attachment 620045
I'd be more concerned about that shitty Quest.

$20 for 30 trrips????

GFY Dara 🖕🖕🖕🖕

·
Banned
1,356 Posts
The update is approved by the pulitboro to cause more stress induced eating and health problems while reducing vision and training compliance and acceptance.

Your update is mandatory.

·
Premium Member
1,636 Posts
I forgot your question. All I can focus on is the “$20 for 30 trips” **** Uber!

·
Premium Member
3,042 Posts
So... I'm wondering if the OP tried to update through the app and not just straight from the app store...

Only cause I updated my tablet the other day. Today I noticed in the Uber app was an app update notification. Knowing I just updated my tablet I clicked on the app update notification.....

Well golly gee would you look at that buckwheat, it asks for your password. Seeing how he might have went through the app and it went to the App Store it didn't know all your information except for your email attached to the Uber app. So, the App Store took the email associated with the app and use that as a login for Google Play Store. It does not know your password nor does it imported from any of the passwords on your phone. This is the only reason I can see Uber asking for your App Store password.

·
Registered
70 Posts
I got that message in the Inbox too. It seems legit. When I tap the notice I get an image of the app in the Playstore, and a link at the bottom to open the app in the Playstore. The "install" button is just part of the screenshot. The only live link is the "OPEN IN PLAY STORE APP", which takes you to the Driver app in the store.

I suspect you are being prompted for your google password to access the playstore.

(My app was up to date as well. But the app was likely updated recently.)
I've NEVER needed a Google password to download the app or updates. I haven't needed the Uber password either.

·
Registered
70 Posts
I thought that $70 for 30 rides was crap . . . then I saw your promo. :oops::rolleyes:o_O:cry::cry: With NO consecutive trip bonuses posted this week, Uber is sinking below Lyft pay.
<iframe src="Sad Cry GIF by Alice Socal - Find & Share on GIPHY" width="480" height="480" frameBorder="0" class="giphy-embed" allowFullScreen></iframe><p><a href="
">via GIPHY</a></p>

·
Premium Member
3,416 Posts
I've NEVER needed a Google password to download the app or updates. I haven't needed the Uber password either.
Assuming Android platform, you needed it once. When you first logged in to your google account when you bought the phone. If you're not logged in to your google account you can't download from the play store.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts