Uber Drivers Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
209 Posts
Actually this guy missed the boat a bit. Lyft did half of that list and no one says a word about the cute pink mustache company. Know how many felons drive cabs? I've met dozens over the twelve years I drove cabs in three different cities. If the pay truly sucked, drivers would quit n deliver pizza. I can go on and n but seriously, why all the hate.
Sure the CEO is an ass but last time I checked, so is Donald and many other big time CEOs. Lazy journalism if you ask me

·
24,222 Posts
Know how many felons drive cabs?
I do not know the rules in Florida, but if you have any conviction for a violent crime, felony or misdemeanour, or any felony at all, in the past ten years, you ABSOLUTELY DO NOT get a hack face in the District of Columbia. In fact, even if the conviction is more than ten years old, you may not get that hack face, STILL. You will have to have petitioned successfully to have your civil rights restored before the Taxicab Commission will even consider letting you go through the process to get a hack face if the felony conviction is more than ten years old. Registered sex offenders do not get hack faces, ever, regardless of how old the conviction is. If your felony conviction was for a violent crime or fraud, odds are that you will not get that hack face, regardless of how far back the conviction was.

Those ex-offenders who do get hack faces have Priests/Ministers/Pastors, former Probation/Parole Officers, Military Commanders and several other leading citizens vouch for them before the DCTC will even consider letting them go through the process to get a hack face in the District of Columbia.

When you apply for your first hack face in the District of Columbia, you are subject to an FBI fingerprint and background check. Fail it, and no hack face for you. Further, with each original and renewal application, you must submit an arrest record (referred to as a "police clearance", here) from the District of Columbia and your home state, if you live in the suburbs. If the DCTC does not like something that appears on your Police Clearance, and, you can not explain it away, no renewal or original hack face for you.

I do not know what other jurisidictions use or do, but if you have skeletons in your closet, it is extremely difficult, if not impossible, to get a hack face in the District of Columbia. Conversely there are documented cases of convicted child molestors who have cleared the "background check" of more than one TNC/rideshare service.

·
Registered
3,367 Posts
Actually this guy missed the boat a bit. Lyft did half of that list and no one says a word about the cute pink mustache company. Know how many felons drive cabs? I've met dozens over the twelve years I drove cabs in three different cities. If the pay truly sucked, drivers would quit n deliver pizza. I can go on and n but seriously, why all the hate.
Sure the CEO is an ass but last time I checked, so is Donald and many other big time CEOs. Lazy journalism if you ask me
It isn't journalism. It is a kind of op ed rant.

As for "if the pay truly sucked driver would quit and deliver pizza" I read somewhere the average driver is putting in 6 or 7 hours a week driving for Uber. You can't quit what you never started. For most people, it is very casual second job, it is cherry picking. What percentage of drivers make it to the 6 month mark? How many make it past one year?

·
Registered
3,367 Posts
Look at the headlines concerning corporate culture at Amazon and how it is expressed through their relationship with employees. It is all over the news. there seems to be an inherent brutality associated with venture capital. Here is a very interesting article about venture capital worth reading, it is quite long, you have been warned.

http://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2015/05/18/tomorrows-advance-man

Consider their perspective on work, permanence, sustainability, there are al sorts of considerations. Whatever might be within the minds of these decision makers, and Travis Kalanick is of the same mindset as Marc Andreessen (invested in Lyft). Uber is every bit as angry and aggressive as Amazon.

Hopefully the eye opening story concerning aMazon does that. There should be genuine concern, people are being poorly treated in a new white collar way. If drivers want to see conditions improve at Uber in the form of tips, a non manipulative rating system, sustainable rates, a good look at IC status - whatever, well it would be great to see Amazon really take some heat.

I doubt it will happen to such an extent people look elsewhere with much energy, one can only hope.

·
Registered
3,367 Posts
Very few felons are lucky enough to obtain a hack license.
Not sure about the flood of uber (alleged) rapists.
They may not have BEEN felons.
They surely are now.
I agree with the sentiment. It isn't so much an issue of a hiring of convicted felons that has me concerned. It has more to do with the idea that Uber in most cities is a kind of free for all. There are no rules a community can place upon them, zero ways to curb their behavior. According to Travis, any attempt to regulate Uber is a sign of being behind the times.

All control comes from Uber and travis and is intended to support their needs. Everyone else is left scratching their heads trying to fihure out how it is supposed to work for just the everyday Joe. Within that chaos, there is some room for abusive, criminal behavior. In my mind, that is a side effect of a long list of problems that arise on a daily, more frequent basis. One example would be the casual nature of the work. It only works if you ignore the costs and keep it casual...... It creates a scene where the principal participants have no say in matters.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts