Uber Drivers Forum banner
  • If you have joined UberPeople.net because your Uber account was hacked, you've likely been taken in by a scam. Please read this before starting a thread on this subject.

Why UZURV will fail

11K views 45 replies 20 participants last post by  MHR 
#1 ·
As many if not all of you know, UZURV is an app that works in tandem with Uber and Lyft that enables passengers to pre-arrange rides with the drivers of their choice.

I firmly believe that UZURV, as is, will fail.

Why?

1. They are not partnered or affiliated with Uber or Lyft. This is why they don’t advertise other than to drivers, and their message is essentially “promote us”. They cannot meaningfully advertise to the riding public because they can’t use the words Uber or Lyft.

2. Their model for airport pickups is untenable. The driver is supposed to park somewhere near the airport ( but NOT in the TNC zone) and somehow receive the request from their intended passenger among all of the request traffic that flies around near the airport. The passenger then has to meet the driver at some prearranged spot. Compare this to the standard user experience (which I do several times each week) wherein I get my bags, go to the curb, request a ride, wait a brief time, and off I go.

3. No one is using this app. Look at the number of reviews for the driver and passenger apps. I’ve been signed up with UZURV for several weeks. In that time, exactly one ride has come through in the feed.

IMO UZURV is a waste of memory on your phone. I’m keeping the app for a while just to see if my belief is accurate.

Make money. Be safe.

See less See more
#8 ·
The basic premise is this:
- Riders wanting to pre-schedule a ride post the info, both pickup area and drop off area, on the app. They can include an "incentive", ie a tip.
- Drivers who are willing to do the ride reply and are added to a list from which the rider can choose.
- The chosen driver shows up, does the up-close ping dance with the rider, and then takes them to their destination through the Uber or Lyft app.
This may work for people who live in the middle of nowhere who need transportation to a distant airport or similar destination, but makes no sense for anyone living in an area serviced by Lyft or Uber. It's especially ridiculous when airport pickups are thrown into the mix. UZURV's answer to this is literally what I've detailed in my original post. No one will do that. Ever.

#7 ·
It basically “brokers” pre-arranged rides. Pax put in their to/fr info, drivers input their desire to take the ride, Pax selects what driver/platform they want, off-line arrangements are made, driver parks in front of address and waits for ping. Pure joy ensues as pax/driver have a match made in heaven.
I deleted the App after 6 months of no activity. There was a driver around these parts that had his car all blinged out w/ their logo pasted everywhere on it. Guess it’s better than having Lyftshyts thrown all over it. (Rakos, you’re up ;))

#9 ·
The problem I have with Uzurv is it's one more entity profiting off of drivers with drivers doing all the work.

I thought it would be helpful but honestly it's just as easy to have someone tell you what time they'd like to go somewhere, arrange to be nearby and then take their ping. Why should I give Uzurv a share of that fee when I can do the exact same thing on my own.

I've only gotten one ride request through the app in 6 months. It isn't used much in my territory and I don't feel like handing out promotional materials to all my pax. I don't have the time nor money to promote another's company.

#12 ·
The *only* advantages are that the Pax can select the car/driver, and the driver knows they’re getting a scheduled ride they want to give. Both Pax and driver pay a fee for this awesome service (IIRC). If there ever was a repeat customer advantage, Uber would be happy to take care of that by stepping in and deactivating the driver for breaking TOS.

#13 ·
I have always thought this app was a great idea not just to reserve rides, but to reserve a specific driver. However, the one thing that this has in common with Uber/Lyft are the cheap riders that don't see the value in this service and the added cost involved to fulfill a reservation. Driver has dead miles coming to you and has to go offline to fulfill the reservation.

The main benefit of this app is to get rides in rural areas during times when Uber/Lyft riders are not available.

I see so many rides coming across with $0 incentive which the app defaults to $3 . That tells me that rider is cheap and had to manually change that amount.

The main issue is that when riders start to feel comfortable with a dependable driver, the question is always asked if the reservation has to go through the app. This is UZURV's main failure as these riders will eventually jump ship and simply contact drivers directly.

I use it mainly to start my day which I use my filter to get where I need to be so I can fulfill the reservation. It's been mixed results with dead miles resulting in little gain expect a ride where I know the pickup and destination.

#16 ·
Yeah i can just imagine the rider using this... Lauren Bacall wannabe, yelling the whole way "don't go too fast! Watch out when you turn! Oh god you're going to take advantage of me, aren't you?! Thank you for not killing me, here have a peppermint young man!" Or a man... Ride to McDonald's "let's have breakfast, my treat, and talk business. I need someone reliable to take me to church and the doctor 3x/week. I'll make it worth your while, $5 each if you'll do it off app. I'll even throw in an extra $5 to help me shop at Walmart!"

#20 ·
I used it until recently because of this experience:

1) Rider requests ride on app
2) I opted to take it
3) Rider selects me to fulfill request
4) Rider then messages me that they are on Wi-Fi where they work and when they leave they won't have it, could I have their phone number instead so they can text me when they're ready.
5) I message rider back inquiring as to how they're going to use the Uber app to request the ride if their phone won't have access to internet services.
6) Rider writes back assuming that UZURV handles the ride aspect.
7) I cancelled the reservation.

I see that their website is pretty unclear about themselves NOT being a TNC, but merely a ride broker. I live in the home of UZURV, therefore it's used pretty extensively here.

#23 ·
Yeah i can just imagine the rider using this... Lauren Bacall wannabe, yelling the whole way "don't go too fast! Watch out when you turn! Oh god you're going to take advantage of me, aren't you?! Thank you for not killing me, here have a peppermint young man!" Or a man... Ride to McDonald's "let's have breakfast, my treat, and talk business. I need someone reliable to take me to church and the doctor 3x/week. I'll make it worth your while, $5 each if you'll do it off app. I'll even throw in an extra $5 to help me shop at Walmart!"
it's the concept I approve of.
The idea of matching riders with drivers they like and the thought of waking up Monday morning knowing my schedule for the week, is something I want to happen. I just don't think this outfit will work for me

I'm trying to build a private ride service. I don't give my card to every Uber/Lyft rider I meet so I don't expect to have many regular customers like the one you describe and at my age I don't expect anyone to ever call me "young man"

#28 ·
This is why I like uzurv... at times rides like this come in,

Blue Map Font Parallel Atlas

The $10. Is an incentive the rider pays, like an up front tip... they can put in any amount they want, which a lot are just $3-$5. But consider how many tip to begin with, and I've had multiple people tip without putting it on the app.

I do a lot of airport pickup and drop offs, airport drop offs usually get you a matchup if your on app. and I've gain more then a couple regular riders who reserve through the app but pay me cash at the apps (U/L) estimate.

The app tells you pickup and drop off, it's totally up to you to put your name in to be chosen or not. Short trips just ignore, take the trips you want.

I've only paid .99 (cents) per reserved ride to uzurv... always felt it was worth it.

#34 ·
I get things like this occasionally, usually it's a day or two notice before the ride. View attachment 227003

I can take it and drive my way back with DF... most times, then again I have lyft and uber so I have to use a lot of DF.
They probably charge the customer 50-100% extra for that ride. A lot of people are willing to pay premium for uberx.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.