Uber Drivers Forum banner

Should Uber riders unionise?

1 - 20 of 83 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Folks, I'm a cabby. Been one for the past six years, so you can say this is my bread and butter. I have been monitoring this taxi/Uber/Grab scene for quite some time. Disclaimer: I have nothing against Grab/Uber. We are after all... Same shirt different button ;-)

So here is my question to Uber/Grab folks : Why havnt you unionised yet? Given that uber is taking all the drivers for a ride, literally in the long run. Why?

Lets take at look at Uber's business model. Given the low fare out of which they only earn 20%. Then they fork out extra cash to be paid out as incentives to drivers. How do they make money? Anyone wondered? And yet they keep growing and growing. How come? Did you know Uber the company is worth $23.4billion dollars? But wait for it... they have not made a single cent in profit sice their inception. Looky here --> ( I couldnt put a link so you go google : Business insider uber revenue profit loss.

Despit this they are aggressively growing. Why you ask my friend? Driverless taxis. Once driverless taxis are operational, their profits are gonna rocket sky high. They would be the market leader. the app is already up and running ( they have already trained the public how to book via app) now instead of a driver coming it would be a driverless vehicle coming. And instead of the paltry 20% they earn now its gonna be a very sweet 100%. A quick search should show you Uber, Google and Tesla as the top sponsors for driverless vehicle R&D.

In the words of Uber Ceo Travis Kalanick : The ride is expensive because of the other guy in the car. ( Refering to the driver).

So there you have it. They are just plain using the drivers till needed.

Okay so now you are saying driverless cars are a thing of the distant future.

( I couldnt post links here yet. So you go google 1) SMRT driverless bus 2) Nutonomy Singapore )

Well the future is upon us my friends. End of 2016 and next year.

So the scenario is, when their fleet of driverless is ready the incentive update for the week could be

1) Super profit week! guaranteed per $100/hour 24hrs a day. T&C Just maintain 18.7 TPH 99.9583% AR.
or
2) Fares cut by 30%. No incentives. Not happy returm car ( provided your contract is not up yet)

So can we do something to protect ourselves now? before its too late? They are already exploiting us on so many levels. When you rent a car there is a 5 week - 1 year contract. But there is no gurantees incentives are only valid a week. If next week shit hits the ceiling fan, we are screwed. So can the authorities start doing something now? Can we do something now? There are gona be alot of jobless taxi/uber/grab drivers very soon. Can the government start by transitioning these workers to other industries?

Oh not to mention dispatch and food delivery... Hee... Why do you think they have Ubereats and Deliveroo?

So thats that. I am very worried about my bread and butter. Arent you?

·
Registered
398 Posts
driveless taxi still got long way to go. gps still cannot be perfect how to driveless. rail in controlled environment also cannot perfect. u trust driveless in an uncomtrolled environment?
basement car park. no signal. how to go out?

·
Registered
49 Posts
Can a driverless cab 'see' in heavy rain?
Can it do a 3point turn in some ulu dark underground carpark.

And i remember they said flying cars by year 2000.

·
Banned
6,034 Posts
If driving PH is already so unprofitable, what is the problem losing it? Just go and do other things,

But unless Uber has an acceptable answer to safety (in our kind of traffic), speed (can it drive faster than human) and cost (cheaper than not owning any cars ), it will remain a dream and only a dream of CEO Travis.

When he said 'the other guy in the car', he might not have already considered political and diplomatic Issues. Even if it is technically possible, it may not be political feasible in every country.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
You start by saying you're a cabby, but by the end of your essay you refer to private hire vehicle drivers as "we".
Seriously? Of all the points listed, this is what bothers you most? Ok why did i use the word 'we'. 1) Same shirt different button. 2) Cabby/ph driver all on same boat. Once driverless all jobless.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
If driving PH is already so unprofitable, what is the problem losing it? Just go and do other things,

But unless Uber has an acceptable answer to safety (in our kind of traffic), speed (can it drive faster than human) and cost (cheaper than not owning any cars ), it will remain a dream and only a dream of CEO Travis.

When he said 'the other guy in the car', he might not have already considered political and diplomatic Issues. Even if it is technically possible, it may not be political feasible in every country.
Politically not feasible maybe in other countries. Singapore is welcoming driverless with open arms. Who do you think os behind grab? Why do you think LHL invited driverless R&D to be done in SG? Roughly 28k cabs x 300 a day revenue... you think they not drooling?

·
Registered
30 Posts
Seriously? Of all the points listed, this is what bothers you most? Ok why did i use the word 'we'. 1) Same shirt different button. 2) Cabby/ph driver all on same boat. Once driverless all jobless.
Very noble of u. Having been a cabby for 6 years n thinking about welfare of U/G Drivers. **** most cabby would rejoice at the demise of U/G Drivers.

May I suggest u hook up with Mr Powerpoint who was thinking of Organising some sort of protest on 01 Jul n maybe u guys can make something happen ......... "Same shirt, different buttons", wow, learn something new today, thanks .......

·
Banned
6,034 Posts
What is your timeframe that this will happen? you mentioned end 2016 or next year? Lets see.

Political consideration is beyond you and me. Votes, poverty, social problems, which will directly affect the raising of families, etc are examples. We won't know what is in the politicians' mind. We voted them Into office and they are obligated to make sure that the children, the next generation of citizens don't grow up in poverty and uneducated.

But even if politically it is a non-issue, it won't happen in Singapore, not for taxis at least (Uber can experiment whatever it wants since it has a deep pocket). Let's see.

·
Registered
398 Posts
You start by saying you're a cabby, but by the end of your essay you refer to private hire vehicle drivers as "we".
Politically not feasible maybe in other countries. Singapore is welcoming driverless with open arms. Who do you think os behind grab? Why do you think LHL invited driverless R&D to be done in SG? Roughly 28k cabs x 300 a day revenue... you think they not drooling?
u tink lhl is ready to lose the td n their families votes in the next election?

·
Registered
31 Posts
No need to talk so much. Just show us a photo of your VL and taxi company pass with "Jingojak 25 JUN 2016" written next to it. Don't forget to also show that your VL was issued at least 6 years ago.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
No need to talk so much. Just show us a photo of your VL and taxi company pass with "Jingojak 25 JUN 2016" written next to it. Don't forget to also show that your VL was issued at least 6 years ago.
I proof to you im a cabby then what?

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
To proof your credibility. At this point, your speech is nothing more than flatulence.
Regardless of my profession the points made are valid. You are discrediting the messenger instead of the message...hmm Anyways im flattered by your attention to my flatulence.

·
Banned
6,034 Posts
Bro Jingojak if you are a cabbie you need not worry. Robots cant replace you. Just consider these:

- Can they do street pick up which I think is at least 50% of where your business come from?
- Can they load baskets containing vegetable and meat for old ah mahs?
- Can they help in pushing and loading wheeled chairs and luggage bags?
- Can they talk Hokkien or even Hainanese?

1 - 20 of 83 Posts