Uber Drivers Forum banner

Why sit and wait at Airport? Surge and Prime Time Killer

2K views 6 replies 4 participants last post by  Ted Fink 
#1 ·
I've been seeing troves of drivers waiting in the staging area (University Park Airport) for their coveted airport rides, but we all know this is not a surefire method and wastes gas to drive up there.

Here's why we should NOT wait at the airport:

- Too many cars = no surge anymore. If we all stay further away, surge will be more likely.
- No que, therefore you can leave empty handed
- Wasting time sitting, no other demand other
than airport up there.
- The staging area is already packed. If we start causing traffic issues, there will be a crackdown.
- Missing other ride requests downtown and along Atherton.

This is just my opinion as a driver of over 3 years. There are already too many of us. Why are we waiting in the heart of busy areas and killing opportunities for surge? I suggest we be more cognizant that we are acting like sheep. If the airport or town thinks we are causing traffic or parking issues, we are going to all pay the price, and killing surge at the same time.

See less See more
#2 ·
Hi Everyone, been reading this board for a while and decided to finally create an account. I've been driving in State College since October of 2017, so not real long, but long enough to learn a few things. I think the airport sucks, except when students are arriving or departing en masse (like coming back from breaks). In order to get a good spot "in line" you have to get there 1/2 hour early, which means you will likely invest over an hour in that $12-15 ride... not really worth it, unless you're not concerned with efficiency or making the most $ per hour. Yes, the airport does occasionally throw unicorns, I once had a ride to Altoona and once to DuBois, but in general, it doesn't seem to really be worth sitting there, unless downtown is completely dead. I HAVE had a little bit better luck going to the Airport when there are 2 or 3 flights coming in, but in general I'm disgusted with it.

I do think it's going to be a problem with drivers parked along the road. Sooner or later there will be an accident, or the cops or airport security will initiate some kind of change. Who knows, we could even get banned from the airport... it's happened other places.

THAT BEING SAID, ALL DRIVERS PLEASE!!!! pull up when the car in front of you pulls up, so we can try to get people out of the road as soon as possible. I'm wondering if one of us should talk to the airport about this too, proactively... maybe they can have us stage in the Short-Term parking (as some of the drivers already are) or make some other kind of change that will be safe.

I WISH THEY WOULD QUEUE US! Not sure why they are not. Anyone?

#3 ·
I agree with your thoughts, Ted. I get a few airport pickups per week just by positioning downtown. With Uber, you get extra $ for a long pickup, too.

Not that I want to screw the customers, but we all want more money, right? If we don't congregate and wait at the airport, Surge and Prime will be more likely based on the car-to-customer ratio. So my theory is: Never sit and tirelessly wait for a ping at the airport and maybe we all generate more $$$?

#4 ·
Yes, I agree with the theory. I don't see any way to get everyone on the same page though, because after talking with other drivers over the (admittedly short time) of a year and three months, it seems that not everyone's goal is pure profit.

I know one driver who is intentionally very choosy on the rides they accept and has an XL vehicle but almost never turns XL on, which to me seemed crazy from an economic standpoint. But, he explained to me that he likes hanging out in his vehicle and/or talking to other drivers, so when he's refusing trips he doesn't really feel like he's working. He is online for bazillions of hours each week but he's only really "working" for a fraction of that time. To each their own!

I also have talked to several drivers who do the airport a lot BECAUSE of the downtime... listening to podcasts or audio books or taking online courses. So they are really educating themselves with short breaks for working. And looking at it that way, they aren't "working" very many hours, so I guess they are being well compensated for the time they choose to drive, while having lots of downtime to further their education.

Me personally? I'm motivated half by money and half by the fact that I enjoy the social aspect of the job. I am usually doing whatever is going to make the most money, but I try to enjoy it and not make it too much work. You can analyze it to death, especially if you have a tech background like I do. #ExcelHeadaches

I guess the takeaway is that every driver has their own goals and even though what a lot of people are doing doesn't make any sense to me, to each their own! Like sitting at the megabus lot. Sure, it's central to a lot of potential ping locations, but often there are a ton of drivers there and therefore you are waiting for the system to randomly ping YOU. I prefer to drive around and randomize my location, seems to decrease the downtime. YES I know I am burning gas to do it. I have a four cylinder so the gas isn't a huge deal to me. But the point is we all have our own style and our own way of doing it. That doesn't mean someone else is wrong.

OH I almost forgot, since this is supposed to be about the airport...

MY NEW AIRPORT STRATEGY:

If three flights are coming in, I go up around the time the first flight lands and wait for a ping. (Only if downtown is slow).

If one flight is coming in and I'm bored, I'll drive to the airport 20+ mins after the flight lands, and I drive right through. If I get a ping I take it, otherwise I just circle around and head down rock road to Lemont or back out Fox Hill to Toftrees. For me, I'm way to OCD to sit for 45+ minutes at the airport. #GottaGo

On another note, isn't it nice that the students are back? I feel like the town came back to life last night.

#5 ·
It doesnt matter whether your at the airport or at Wal mart. Your wasting your life on an app with algorithms that control your life. Yes you can log on and off when you want but they control if and when you get a ride. I did it for 3 plus years. It was fun and then recently the wait times and the reduced income turned the switch off. In the future earnings will decrease while driver count rises. 9 years and Uber still not profitable. You have to wonder in these times when everything is hinging on Artificial Intelligence that we Uber drivers are driven by Artificial Stupidity.

#6 ·
Many go to A port to socialize
Some go to sleep, they just use U/l decal to enter A port
Others just need 2-3 runs per day, at 40-50 dollars
I see a lady all the time,good loooking with sunglasses on, without sunglasses avg looking and she runs both apps, and she is out of the airport in few minutes...cannot figure that one out
If you run 1 app exclusively, I could see driver getting out fast, but both apps and out of the queue does not add up.
She could also be just waiting for few minutes, and leaving empty hand

#7 ·
Hi mbd! We're talking about the airport in State College, PA, but the same general things apply as do in Dallas I'm sure! Thanks for your input!

PS. Hope it's warmer in Dallas than it is here! Brrrrrr

Ray Ting, thanks for the comment, but do you have anything constructive or useful to share? If I want to read posts of bitter ex-uber drivers they are already in abundance on this forum. I guess you probably think you are helping by warning us off? Anyway thanks but no thanks.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.