Uber Drivers Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

· Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

Can someone please explain to me why there is only one airport queue? Shouldnt there be one queue for domestic and one for international?

Also my understand is that for domestic pickups you go to the priority pickup zone, and for international you are supposed to go to an express pickup zone. However as you approach the domestic airport there are signs for both priority and express pickup zones. Why is there and express pickup zone sign approaching the domestic airport?

· Registered
779 Posts
I have wondered the same thing. The conclusion I came to is that Uber app is built and designed by non-drivers. That is why the design is not user friendly and it shows only the information that it wants you to see. Essentially they try to trick you into unprofitable things like waiting for an hour at the airport or intentionally hiding the distance to a pickup, showing only number of minutes away instead.

· Registered
1,092 Posts
I have.

How else do you think I knew what signs you are meant to head towards.
If you had read it you would have read that there are 2 queues. One for Domestic and one for International.

"Each product and terminal has its own queue, so if you're an uberX driver-partner waiting at the international terminal, you'll be queued separately to an uberX driver-partner waiting at the domestic terminals, or to an UberBLACK driver-partner waiting at the domestic or international terminal."

· Registered
116 Posts
I have.

How else do you think I knew what signs you are meant to head towards.
if you have read the link you would have know there is 1 queue for international and 1 queue for domestic, also when you accept a trip in domestic, the apps actually shows you which pick up zone you suppose to go ( which i believe it shows priority pickup (GREEN)).

Hope that helps :)

· Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
if you have read the link you would have know there is 1 queue for international and 1 queue for domestic, also when you accept a trip in domestic, the apps actually shows you which pick up zone you suppose to go ( which i believe it shows priority pickup (GREEN)).

Hope that helps :)[/QUOTE

Hope that helps :)
Im talking about in the app.....when it shows you how many people are in the queue. Why are the not two seperate indicators....one showing the amount of people in domestic....one showing the amount of people in international. If you are combining the two into one indicator then it doesnt help drivers as they dont know which queue to go to to get a job quickest.

· Registered
116 Posts
Im talking about in the app.....when it shows you how many people are in the queue. Why are the not two seperate indicators....one showing the amount of people in domestic....one showing the amount of people in international. If you are combining the two into one indicator then it doesnt help drivers as they dont know which queue to go to to get a job quickest.
that Indicator only shows you the queue which closer to you, eg, if you are in Eastern suburb it only shows the one for domestic where if you are in western suburb, it only shows you the one in International. I do agree they should have show both queue indicator on the map.

If you are new driver, I would suggest to do pick up in domestic rather than international. People in international usually comes with more luggage and do NOT pick up phone call which makes your pick up much harder.

· Registered
1,092 Posts
Why Uber doesn't do something they should is usually due to technological limitations or local government regulations.

There are two queues, but you only get to see the one closest to you depending on the direction you are approaching the airport.

Uber manually changes the queue at times to attract or turn off drivers heading to the airport (south-east of Sydney).

A few weeks ago my app said the airport queue was 4 drivers, and when I arrived 10 mins later it was 71-80 in the queue... My understanding is that Uber wanted me to head toward the airport.

It's like those fake surge maps which is again a manual intervention to help move drivers around to areas Uber wants us to be in.

All just theories, that's what this forum is for... to share our experiences and to come up with our own conclusions in the absence of an official word from Uber - although some moderators here behave like they are Uber employees.
ive been stung before, driving near the airport it showed 10 in the queue so I decided to go in and as soon as I went to domestic it showed I was 40-50 in the Q - Drove straight out of there.
Playing devils advocate here, but I would imagine that in peak departure times the queue could change rapidly. You have a tonne of drivers dropping off their pax at the same time and as soon as they end the trip they are put in the virtual queue. When you have a lot of people arriving at around the same time that could see a big jump in queue numbers in a very short time. 10-20 min later when those drivers who dont want to wait in the queue have navigated the traffic and escaped the geo fence it can drop down again

BTW how do you see how many cars are in the queue if you arent there yourself? Also how are you seeing an exact number of cars? Mine always gives me a range of 10. eg 1-10 or 51-60 etc

· Premium Member
2,344 Posts
My understanding is there are total of 8 queues, Domestic & International then split for X, Black, Lux & SUV.

I've decided not to wait again, ever, @ International. Driving Black / SUV !! Last time I had a drop off the Indicator came up as -1-10 with four blue segments as I approached, dropped pax then I checked my rider app and I was the only one there, 6.30pm in the evening, checked Airport app and there were a few Internationals flights just in and landed as I was there .....waiting...waiting 65 mins later I simply gave up, drove out then picked up a ping as I headed towards Kingsford on Gardners Rd.

It's all a learing curve and I won't be doing it again.

· Premium Member
12,446 Posts
As everyone has stated, there are 2 queues, the closet one is displayed on the app.

If you are near international, then drive down to qantas drive to domestic the queue stats will change...

Got caught out once, in 1-10 at international, thinking it was domestic..heading to domestic and jumped to 51-60

Stuffed that, not waiting..headed to mascot and got a ping for roseberry to city...

· Registered
51 Posts
My understanding is there are total of 8 queues, Domestic & International then split for X, Black, Lux & SUV.

I've decided not to wait again, ever, @ International. Driving Black / SUV !! Last time I had a drop off the Indicator came up as -1-10 with four blue segments as I approached, dropped pax then I checked my rider app and I was the only one there, 6.30pm in the evening, checked Airport app and there were a few Internationals flights just in and landed as I was there .....waiting...waiting 65 mins later I simply gave up, drove out then picked up a ping as I headed towards Kingsford on Gardners Rd.

It's all a learing curve and I won't be doing it again.
One theory is that Uber like there to be an SUV at the airport all the time so if you are the only SUV they hold you there while promoting Blacks ahead of you . . . Just a theory.

· Premium Member
2,344 Posts
One theory is that Uber like there to be an SUV at the airport all the time so if you are the only SUV they hold you there while promoting Blacks ahead of you . . . Just a theory.
Interesting theory, I've only had one airport job out of there and it was Black......had two SUV pings but outside Geofence , one was Ikea Tempe and another @ Rosebery

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.