Uber Drivers Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
295 Posts
I don't know about pollies, but I may or may not have picked up ... police.

I will say no more.

·
Registered
1,657 Posts
I heard from a pax (posted about this in another thread) that told me several Qld state pollies use Uber. It's all hearsay though.

In hindsight I bet Bronwyn Bishop wished she was an Uber customers - the ALP probably wouldn't have cried so much if she had have used Uber for say $50 instead of chartering a helicopter for $5000 LOL

In terms of cops - I have picked up a cop - only one that has admitted it but possibly more. It was her first ride and along the way she was telling me about other police officers she worked with who were moonlighting as Uber drivers.

·
Registered
7,528 Posts
I heard from a pax (posted about this in another thread) that told me several Qld state pollies use Uber. It's all hearsay though.

In hindsight I bet Bronwyn Bishop wished she was an Uber customers - the ALP probably wouldn't have cried so much if she had have used Uber for say $50 instead of chartering a helicopter for $5000 LOL

In terms of cops - I have picked up a cop - only one that has admitted it but possibly more. It was her first ride and along the way she was telling me about other police officers she worked with who were moonlighting as Uber drivers.
Learnt a lot from BB during the 9 years I drove her around Sydney. ComCar would never want to pick her up and would offload her to crappy private operators (she would complain about ComCars not having access to the Harbour Bridge Bus Lane). Her office found us in 98 and it was a good 9 years.

Her latest problems stems from her "elevated" position and being seduced by a competing operator providing her with BMWs. Caprices simply didn't cut the custard any longer.

·
Registered
130 Posts
like I say to people, it's not illegal to use Uber X, but providing Uber X services is.
Surely thats not true... Just like any other crime.. if its illegal to provide service then its illegal (albeit to a lesser extent) to take that service as well..

ITs illegal to both buy and sell drugs.. illegal to buy alcohol as minor as well as sell alcohol to minor... so on...

·
Registered
1,657 Posts
Surely thats not true... Just like any other crime.. if its illegal to provide service then its illegal (albeit to a lesser extent) to take that service as well..

ITs illegal to both buy and sell drugs.. illegal to buy alcohol as minor as well as sell alcohol to minor... so on...
This has been done to death.

Uber X is illegal, but it is not a criminal act. You can be fined for doing it as a driver.

Much like speeding 10km/hr over the posted speed is illegal, it's not a criminal offence (unless you do it over and over and over, in which case you'll get hauled up in front of a magistrate). The person in the car with you is not doing anything wrong if you are speeding, and by the same token taking an Uber ride as a pax you are not committing any offence.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
PZUber Funny you should mention that. I have an associate who works for a legislative committee and because Uber are paying the fines for drivers they are thinking of bringing in a demerit system for people caught doing uberx.

·
Registered
295 Posts
PZUber Funny you should mention that. I have an associate who works for a legislative committee and because Uber are paying the fines for drivers they are thinking of bringing in a demerit system for people caught doing uberx.
The plot thickens...

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Well I think the plot weakens. If they really are planning to bring in a demerit based system then Uberx drivers really only need to worry if they are doing illegal things in the first place... Parking in no stopping zones etc as they will stop doing stings and focus on the extra demerit points deducted if a driver is caught breaking the road rules and found to be operating as an uber driver. If this is the case then it makes risk far less for uberx drivers as worst case scenario is an extra demerit point or 2 lost.

·
Registered
123 Posts

Drugs and UberX are quite different my friend.

I can cite RMS coming out saying Ridesharing is illegal and contrary to various laws, but have yet to hear from them about the users of Uber X. So going on that, I don't think it's illegal to be a PAX of UberX.

Show me stories of Uber X PAX getting fined and then I'll recant my statement.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts