Uber Drivers Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I do not understand how people think they are going to make any money driving around with out incentives or surge. If an x driver can hustle making 150 for five hours on 2x the rate these dumb folks must be driving just to get out their house.. I don't get it

·
Registered
874 Posts
The dead miles commuting to core can be intimidating for noobies and dummies. I drive a fully conventional 25mpg Sonic from IE to core daily. I was one of those people staying close to home when I was new. 70-85 minutes and $10-12 round trip is worth considering.

·
Premium Member
2,315 Posts
Maybe some people don't want to kill miles on their cars. For example, if you live in rowland height like me, round trip to core is 50 miles. I still think it's worth it.
If they do not wish to drive in core, thats fine with me... less competition :p:p:p
P.S. 2 months ago, i only saw my car when i went online. Nowdays i see 6 LOL

·
Registered
147 Posts
it's very tough to stay in core. There is always something that will take you out and then what can you do, waste gas to get back in? Turn down pax and cancel on them?

if you are lucky enough to just stay in core all day long great. For me yesterday for example i got taken out to shady south central slash south eastern los angeles but i gutted it out because daytime at these type of places don't bother me as much. Got stuck down there last week but wasted time and gas in traffic to get out so i'm not going to be doing this much anymore.

In all honesty, driving night time is not for me though anyways.

·
Registered
840 Posts
i usually can pick up a fare going from my home to somewhere in/around core, often times its LAX, but I always have to deadmile it back after my shift.
I don't camp my home area, which is outside core, it's just to reduce the dead miles...

·
Premium Member
1,341 Posts
I'm still trying to figure out why it doesn't surge after incentive hours are over. Is there enough supply to squash any surge after 11 pm on a Thu night? Working 6 days I can easily make my 75 rides without resorting to non-core, non-incentive hrs. Maybe others can't?

·
Banned
6,928 Posts
Maybe some people don't want to kill miles on their cars. For example, if you live in rowland height like me, round trip to core is 50 miles. I still think it's worth it.
If they do not wish to drive in core, thats fine with me... less competition :p:p:p
P.S. 2 months ago, i only saw my car when i went online. Nowdays i see 6 LOL
Dead miles are tax deductible and your commute cost will mostly get reimbursed with good record keeping. People make a big deal about dead miles without factoring in the tax benefits.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Up until this week I would work only non-core. Not enough pings in core. I was on hourly and and I still qualified even if I ventured outside of the county. If it weren't for that I'd be in core 100% of the time.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I do non core rides when it's surge(at least my earnings boost or more), but I'm in north Hollywood so the dead miles don't really get to me coming from home. From anywhere else, if I can get back in the core within 20 minutes, meaning no heavy traffic, I'll dead mile it back.

·
Banned
20,770 Posts
Lets see....I hate hate LA pax and downright DETEST central los angeles????

Oh and also kinda hard toget $100+ weekday select runs TO la when youre IN la

·
Banned
20,770 Posts
Why do you dead head from Irvine to LA everyday then?
Eh? This is the*OC* & LA board, yknow?

Point is I kinda DONT.... I'll go to LA on fares yeah, then loiter a bit if select/premier don't ring catch a traffic-less window to dead mile to Long Beach area to sit in between LAX and SNA

·
Banned
20,770 Posts
Guess we read the question differently: I saw it as "Why drive anywhere but CoreLA...IN SOCAL? (or at least OC/LA/IE)"

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.