Uber Drivers Forum banner
1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So today I show up at 10:15 with 97 drivers in the que. I waited till 12:24 and got a $10.95 trip 14 mins away. WTF.

Yes, I've heard this before, I have read the forums listening to people complain about the airport, but I don't understand what I saw today. Cars lining the road waiting in the que - for what? How do they think they are making money?

·
Rebel Honey Badger
18,339 Posts
I think its for the same reason we all come here to this board. Perhaps they don't know about social media. I've noticed a high percentage of them are recent immigrants. Or maybe they do know about this board but their English isn't fluent enough to read or post here.

Final theory: They are all 1 star drivers and that's the last stop before deactivation.

·
Registered
7,046 Posts
10:00 AM is in general a pretty slow time of day, basically everywhere from what i can tell.

The morning rush is over by then and the afternoon stuff isn't going... it's a bad time of the day to be working in general (this is my observation based on the typical patterns of american lifestyle.)

I'd rather not work that time of day, traffic is a pain, business is slow, it's all around not a good time to be on the road. It may just be that a lot of the drivers went to the airport because they legit had nothing better to do.

Reactions: UubSaibot

·
Rebel Honey Badger
18,339 Posts
10:00 AM is in general a pretty slow time of day, basically everywhere from what i can tell.

The morning rush is over by then and the afternoon stuff isn't going... it's a bad time of the day to be working in general (this is my observation based on the typical patterns of american lifestyle.)

I'd rather not work that time of day, traffic is a pain, business is slow, it's all around not a good time to be on the road. It may just be that a lot of the drivers went to the airport because they legit had nothing better to do.
One way to test this theory is next time there is a surge somewhere in the city, tap the airport queue and see how many cars are there and the waiting time

·
Premium Member
5,362 Posts
I start at 3 am and work through the morning rush. 10 am I go to the airport to take a nap, hoping that the queue is long. Might as well nap at the airport than deadhead home 35 miles, then deadhead back for the PM rush. Might as well get $5/hour in the long run napping at the airport than driving 70 dead miles

·
Registered
532 Posts
Alot of Uber drivers closed minded and only think the airport has the best trips. They may but you pay for it with time, a lot of time wasted. I drive only uberselect in cleveland and the market for uberselect isn't the best, take all my pings from home leaving my app on 24/7 on my off days from my main job. Gotta be more creative since everyone is a Uber driver....I'd rather take request from not being in a line, waiting and waiting just to go 2 miles at times, I would be way less upset taking that 2 mile trip from home where I am comfortable and not in a line...

·
Registered
2,373 Posts
If you know how and when to work the airport queue it can pay better per hour, and far better per mile, than any other non-surge scenario. There is a learning curve, though. Invest the time to learn and find out, or keep doing what you're doing. Makes no difference to me, but don't slag those sitting there until you have invested the time to learn what some of those sitting there have learned.

·
25,711 Posts
I used to wonder why cab drivers would want to sit in a long line at National Airport even in the 1980s. I still wonder. Once I learned the inside story of the line at Dulles Airport, I wondered why drivers would want to sit in that line. As Dulles has a monopoly, I wondered even more, as those drivers could work that line, only.

I do not know too much about Friendship Airport, but, given my experience with and knowledge of Dulles and National, I would wonder why anyone would want to stew at Friendship.

Here, at least, even at 10 A.M., you can run the streets and get a passenger here and there. Often, people on K Street will start for Capitol Hill at 10 or 10:30 A.M.. so there is business to be had for that. The cab drivers have worked that business here for years. There are many TNC drivers here who do not want to work Downtown. You can head uptown and get the little old ladies who are starting for the doctor at 10 or 10:30 A.M., but little old ladies tend to use cabs or METRO Access more than TNCs, here. Two cab companies have the overflow contract for METRO Access, here.

Reactions: Aja

·
Registered
74 Posts
It's like the mutual fund of the uber world. Guarenteed fares but you're gonna wait and maybe get one or two long runs if your lucky

·
Premium Member
3,727 Posts
- Airport rides tend to be safer and have better behaved passengers
- Higher chance of an out of town run
- Slightly higher chance of a tip
- Higher ratings overall

That said I've never picked up a ride from our local airport here. There are already usually 10 drivers in the queue along with a taxi equal equal to or greater than Uber's queue. We have about a dozen flights total a day and that is it! But I have lots of experience picking up there (> 1000 trips) when I was a cab driver.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
If you know how and when to work the airport queue it can pay better per hour, and far better per mile, than any other non-surge scenario. There is a learning curve, though. Invest the time to learn and find out, or keep doing what you're doing. Makes no difference to me, but don't slag those sitting there until you have invested the time to learn what some of those sitting there have learned.
I'm not knocking it in any way. I was just wondering if I was doing something wrong.

·
Premium Member
11,623 Posts
Depends on your market. IMHO, airport queues are for folks who just don't know what else to do. However, in smaller markets, it may be the only game in town.

We have a lot of abuse at our airport, so I don't wait in the queue unless it is <50. It's usually >150. I've used it once this week. The queue was 70-something, but when I drove into the area, it was actually only 21. I didn't even have a chance to turn the engine off.

But normally, I do something else.

·
Registered
685 Posts
At 10am I'm in bed sleeping. Why work when there's little or no demand? Maybe some of these drivers Are asleep while waiting in the queue I don't know. I've got better shit to do with my time than bake in the sun in a parking lot. Maybe I'm missing something?

1 - 20 of 55 Posts