Uber Drivers Forum banner
  • If you have joined UberPeople.net because your Uber account was hacked, you've likely been taken in by a scam. Please read this before starting a thread on this subject.

"Why are you driving Uber?"

862 views 22 replies 6 participants last post by  Taksomotor 
#1 ·
It really pays to speak with pax. Had a great conversation with one right before I wrapped up for the night, asked him what he does for a living.

"Programmer."

"Same - full stack web developer."

"What the F are you doing driving Uber?! Dude, my company is on a hiring spree - apply now! Like right now!"

I am exactly what they're looking for, listed my areas of expertise and he was over the moon. Sending my CV and sample code tomorrow.

Looks like I may be getting one of those "real jobs" I keep hearing about. Driving helped me climb out of a brutal year and transition to the city, but it's time to get back on that keyboard. Wish me luck! ?

Chat with pax - might lead to what's next!

#3 ·
Hey, paramedic! Whole additional year, at least back in those days. ? Just missed the change to it mainly being a BS level line of study, that would have really helped my odds but oh well.

We shall see. I'll definitely apply for this position, if nothing else just to start moving in a positive direction. :)

#4 ·
If you really need a dev job, you should be spending your days interviewing and getting ready, reading about all the new UI frameworks that are out there. Driving Uber is for people who already have a job or don't want a job. It sounds to me that you are not really serious about wanting that job...

#5 ·
How so? I'm a freelance developer, have been for years. Took a break for personal reasons. I'm current in everything, including the skill sets that they are looking for.

Not really serious? Just said I'm sending my resume and some code (repositories, actually). I'm all in, baby ?

#9 ·
I don't know. I would think you would be actively looking for job, rather than just driving Uber and jumping at the first random chance coming your way... At least it does fit my frame of mind :smiles:
It's complicated. Life changed suddenly, wife starting a new career and us moving abruptly. I was in a slump, been keeping open to any opportunities. This one is ideal.

LAMP stack; PHP. But also full stack, meaning all of the back end stuff (code, database, and server ops) in addition to things like HTML, CSS, Javascript, etc (the UI).

Java isn't typically a web dev language but I have coded in Java for Android app development (that's the native language).

Reactions: Taksomotor
#7 ·
And I'm full stack but primarily back end - I'd gladly hand UI stuff over to a front end designer.

#10 ·
It's complicated. Life changed suddenly, wife starting a new career and us moving abruptly. I was in a slump, been keeping open to any opportunities. This one is ideal.

LAMP stack; PHP. But also full stack, meaning all of the back end stuff (code, database, and server ops) in addition to things like HTML, CSS, Javascript, etc (the UI).

Java isn't typically a web dev language but I have coded in Java for Android app development (that's the native language).
Ok. But Java is very much a web dev, especially back end. I always worked for huge corporations, so Java is right about everywhere. LAMP/PHP is more of a small shop platform, I suppose. Anyway, good luck to you at the interview!

#11 · (Edited)
Small shop platform? ? Is Facebook small shop? You're on a LAMP stack site right now, PHP is the widest used back end language on Internet - somewhere around 90% of sites.

Not sure why some companies use Java for web but no, it really isn't the norm. Don't see many Active Server Page sites anymore either. PHP and many other languages do have a foundation in Java, though.

I sspecialize in the Laravel framework, object oriented MVC. It's sort of a spin off on Ruby on Rails (which powers Twitter) and Symfony (expands on it).

Actually, it looks like 80% of websites (including many major sites / corporations) are PHP, 4% of sites are Java.

Definitely seeing Javascript frameworks taking off, along with NoSQL database solutions. But they're still somewhat limited and a small percentage.

#13 ·
Hehe, I don't know, to me PHP is something people do when they are trying to play with small in home projects :smiles: I guess it is another case of how different the career paths can be for people doing the same line of work.
Yep, absolutely. Sometimes the right tool isn't PHP but it reigns supreme. :)

Also, PHP that you've seen might be basic procedural stuff. Especially in newer versions, it's a very robust object oriented language.

#14 ·
It really pays to speak with pax. Had a great conversation with one right before I wrapped up for the night, asked him what he does for a living.

"Programmer."

"What the F are you doing driving Uber?! Dude, my company is on a hiring spree - apply now! Like right now!"

I am exactly what they're looking for, listed my areas of expertise and he was over the moon. Sending my CV and sample code tomorrow.

Looks like I may be getting one of those "real jobs" I keep hearing about. Driving helped me climb out of a brutal year and transition to the city, but it's time to get back on that keyboard. Wish me luck! ?

That's awesome man! I try to find something in common with everyone and as long as they speak english, I usually do. Lots of fun and very interesting.

#16 ·
Likewise! That's my favorite part about driving. Really learn a lot about people and we all have something in common. :)

Reactions: swathdiver
#15 ·

"Programmer."

Good Luck!

#18 ·
Anthem has a large building walking distance from here. Capital One is also always hiring. But I prefer client work, primarily building large scale web applications. Small team size (or solo) and a single project at a time. It's kind of like writing a novel or building a house from the ground up.

Reactions: Taksomotor
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.