Uber Drivers Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been driving now for almost 2 years and been doing this on the weekends. Here I am Sunday morning and I've been on for almost an hour in the most heavily populated Uber requested area and not one ride I'm a 4.9 rating with 100% acceptance. What is going on?

·
Registered
418 Posts
I've been driving now for almost 2 years and been doing this on the weekends. Here I am Sunday morning and I've been on for almost an hour in the most heavily populated Uber requested area and not one ride I'm a 4.9 rating with 100% acceptance. What is going on?
The market is about 12X oversaturated with drivers.

·
Registered
675 Posts
You been driving 2 years? Then why drive anyplace on Sunday mornings? Stay home and drive your TV remote to a football game. Just trying to help.

·
Registered
3,429 Posts
IDK. I did $80 in 4 hours today before it slowed down. Since football season started, it always slows down by 10AM on Sunday. Early bird gets the worm. In the Spring and Summer, it was non-stop.

·
Premium Member
294 Posts
I am not only a driver but also a rider and as such, to me your rating is not so important as long as you are in the 4,8.... I only pay attention to the rating of my driver if it is in the 4,7... and only for a long ride or downtown like North Water.... The only times (less than 10%) I cancelled a ride were due to the waiting time, price or car (too small )

·
Registered
3,429 Posts
I am not only a driver but also a rider and as such, to me your rating is not so important as long as you are in the 4,8.... I only pay attention to the rating of my driver if it is in the 4,7... and only for a long ride or downtown like North Water.... The only times (less than 10%) I cancelled a ride were due to the waiting time, price or car (too small )
The only car back seat too small IMO, is a Nissan Juke. If I get a Juke and the driver don't let me sit up front, suck my left nut. That back seat is WWII Japanese torture.

·
Registered
2,743 Posts
You wouldn't be related to Brady One by any chance?

·
Premium Member
1,720 Posts
1) A rating does nothing but tell me whether the driver kisses arse or chooses to not kiss arse (when requesting an uber). Only issues Ive had before are drivers that just aren't good at driving lol.
2) If you want a professional service order one, links readily available upon request. If you order an uberpool or X you want a cheap ride to your destination.

·
Registered
705 Posts
8am start on a Sunday is your first mistake, IMO. Trust me, I've done this to myself. I don't know where you live, but I'm in the far Northwest burbs. If I'm not fueled and road ready by 5am, I'm late. I aim for 3:30am wake up and roll out quickly. Ride it out until your gut tells you it's over (your gut is almost always right). If you can stand the 8pm-4am shift, you're golden...that's your best shot at winning this game, and most likely the reason I suck so bad :oops:

Don't force it. Take the time to enjoy your family.

P.S. 100% acceptance will never help your situation. Took me a while to learn that too.

·
Registered
1,078 Posts
6-7am on a Sunday morning in December is slow...

Why?

Because it is.

"What is going on?" You ask?

Nothing except your fantasy that it would be busy.

·
Banned
1,417 Posts
the most heavily populated Uber requested area
Well, one part of your problem is that you are doing the most obvious thing possible, which means there are empty Ubers in front of you, behind you - you are beset on all sides, Son. This game is as much about (1) finding requests as it is (2) avoiding competition. Anybody can and will do #1, including every rookie that started last weekend, but figuring out #2 takes some homework, wisdom, creativity, finesse, and a little bit of luck.

Get out of Lakeview and see what happens. Go anywhere else in the city and see what happens.
and not one ride I'm a 4.9 rating with 100% acceptance. What is going on?
Your rating and acceptance rate has absolutely nothing to do with whether "Uber sends you pings". You have to be in position and the closest driver gets the ping because ETAs are paramount. Plenty of drivers on here seem to think they are getting punished or rewarded based on the factors you mention, but this information is purely imaginative, because if Uber wanted to change driver behavior through conditioning, then they would explicitly tell you that your acceptance rate, rating, and cancellation rate affects whether you get the ping. Those things have no effect.

Last week somebody mentioned that Uber "rewards them with longer trips" because he's such a good little Cub Scout, but here's the problem with that: "longer trips" are not necessarily a reward, when you end up in East BF, Egypt... Do not give in to superstition.

All that said, you actually want your acceptance rate to be someplace around 65-70%. If it's higher than that, it means you are not being selective enough.
  • Do not take any base fares on a Saturday, because time is limited. You are better off passing and waiting for something better as opposed to tying up your next 30 minutes on a base fare. This is the concept of "opportunity cost", and you must understand it and heed it. Trust me, something better will come up, even if you have to deadhead for 10 minutes logged off. At the end of the day, your earnings will be higher, and the total earnings is all that matters.
  • Never take Pool fares unless it's rush hour and there is a $3/trip promotion attached.
  • Don't accept anything longer than 5 minutes away. When you do that, you are guaranteeing low earnings for yourself. Decline and wait.
Also, on a side note, I figured out that 70% is the magic number for Uber on acceptance. My number ebbs and flows from about 65% to 75% depending on conditions, and what happens is that every single time the number passes from 70% to 69%, I get the email and the note about "going offline" and "better rider experience" and yada, yada... 70% is apparently Uber's magic number, but even still you can go lower than that and it won't affect your ping-rate.

By optimizing your acceptance rate, you make more money. If you let it fall below 60%, you are being too selective and shooting yourself in the foot. Above 80% and you are being too desperate, too much of a pushover and letting Uber (and the pax) bend you over to take your manhood.

·
Registered
1,623 Posts
Well, one part of your problem is that you are doing the most obvious thing possible, which means there are empty Ubers in front of you, behind you - you are beset on all sides, Son. This game is as much about (1) finding requests as it is (2) avoiding competition. Anybody can and will do #1, including every rookie that started last weekend, but figuring out #2 takes some homework, wisdom, creativity, finesse, and a little bit of luck.

Get out of Lakeview and see what happens. Go anywhere else in the city and see what happens.

Your rating and acceptance rate has absolutely nothing to do with whether "Uber sends you pings". You have to be in position and the closest driver gets the ping because ETAs are paramount. Plenty of drivers on here seem to think they are getting punished or rewarded based on the factors you mention, but this information is purely imaginative, because if Uber wanted to change driver behavior through conditioning, then they would explicitly tell you that your acceptance rate, rating, and cancellation rate affects whether you get the ping. Those things have no effect.

Last week somebody mentioned that Uber "rewards them with longer trips" because he's such a good little Cub Scout, but here's the problem with that: "longer trips" are not necessarily a reward, when you end up in East BF, Egypt... Do not give in to superstition.

All that said, you actually want your acceptance rate to be someplace around 65-70%. If it's higher than that, it means you are not being selective enough.
  • Do not take any base fares on a Saturday, because time is limited. You are better off passing and waiting for something better as opposed to tying up your next 30 minutes on a base fare. This is the concept of "opportunity cost", and you must understand it and heed it. Trust me, something better will come up, even if you have to deadhead for 10 minutes logged off. At the end of the day, your earnings will be higher, and the total earnings is all that matters.
  • Never take Pool fares unless it's rush hour and there is a $3/trip promotion attached.
  • Don't accept anything longer than 5 minutes away. When you do that, you are guaranteeing low earnings for yourself. Decline and wait.
Also, on a side note, I figured out that 70% is the magic number for Uber on acceptance. My number ebbs and flows from about 65% to 75% depending on conditions, and what happens is that every single time the number passes from 70% to 69%, I get the email and the note about "going offline" and "better rider experience" and yada, yada... 70% is apparently Uber's magic number, but even still you can go lower than that and it won't affect your ping-rate.

By optimizing your acceptance rate, you make more money. If you let it fall below 60%, you are being too selective and shooting yourself in the foot. Above 80% and you are being too desperate, too much of a pushover and letting Uber (and the pax) bend you over to take your manhood.
You won't take Pool using stop requests, if the roads are clear? Especially if there's a little incentive in the form of Surge or Boost?

(I know adding "Surge or Boost" may make the question seem a bit unfair)

·
Premium Member
2,466 Posts
I think last night was a banner night for drunks. Made $12/net alone between 1:45am-2:15am just on cancellations in River North/Gold Coast. Arrived at the pick up spot, wait a couple moments before calling and/or texting, no response. Then get three (drunk) guys that bite on a 1.8x at Division & Dearborn, heading out to Woodridge. All dressed in ugly sweaters and reminded me of the three stooges. Arguing over nothing most of the way home. Got a kick out of it.

·
Registered
833 Posts
IDK. I did $80 in 4 hours today before it slowed down. Since football season started, it always slows down by 10AM on Sunday. Early bird gets the worm. In the Spring and Summer, it was non-stop.
Same here about $90, after it slowed down I knew to get out...

·
Registered
178 Posts

Attachments

·
Premium Member
4,316 Posts
What mapink said. And I've been saying for 2 years.

App off and wait for it.

Let's post earnings soon.. see how we did.

·
Registered
121 Posts
i have 4.94 rating n i worked in the morning and did 10 rides for 4 hours

·
Banned
1,417 Posts
You won't take Pool using stop requests, if the roads are clear? Especially if there's a little incentive in the form of Surge or Boost?

(I know adding "Surge or Boost" may make the question seem a bit unfair)
I might take Pool with Boost, but not surge... rationale is that if it's busy enough for surge, the next ping is less than a minute a way, and why reward the bargain-shoppers? Just wait for X. If it's boost and I need the trips and there's nothing else coming in, then I might go ahead and take it, turn off requests as you say. Clear roads (i.e. late night)... it still depends on how busy things are. If there's any demand happening at all, then I wait for X because of the opportunity cost issue. If it's so dead that I'm having to accept Pool, usually I just throw in the towel, go home and sleep, save my energy for the next day. During the daytime, I feel like it's never slow enough to take Pool because you can always shift geography. The only reason it ever seems slow during the day is too many ants around you.

The boost zones can be a trap. I think they attract an inordinate number or insects, like flies to honey. There's a 1.2x boost zone, and every single ant is there because he looks at the map and says "that's where the demand is"... But if there's no natural surge happening, boost is probably a bust because the ant-response is too high.

Also, when there's no surge anywhere on the map, I work against the grain, so to speak. The Loop/River North/Streeterville/Gold Coast/Lincoln Park/Lakeview is pretty much the center of gravity; when the surge is on I keep working back in that direction and towards the highest surge, with the grain as it were. But when there's no surge happening anywhere, I start driving in the opposite direction of the center. My thinking is that you don't want to be in popular areas when it's slow because there's a virtual certainty of over-supply. Moving toward the edges and away from the center should decrease the driver/pax ratio and produce a ping faster... during the handful of times I've resorted to that maneuver, it seems to be effective at producing pings. When there's no surge on, then it doesn't matter where you get the ping from, you just need to eliminate the downtime, so move outside the ant cluster.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts