Uber Drivers Forum banner
1 - 20 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
10,169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Mike Butcher is the Editor-At-Large for TechCrunch. He tweeted about London Drivers screening Heathrow pickups by destination and cancelling multiple times. His tweet was answered by many others with the same experience.

Can London Drivers please post the reasons why this is occurring? And will today's change to Time & Distance calculation of London airports Fares, replacing Flat Rate Fares, alleviate this issue?

Screenshot_2016-01-25-05-28-44.png

PS: I've started this thread to help Mike Butcher get to the bottom of this issue, and hopefully write about it in TechCrunch. So please post on topic and be informative in your posts.
Thanx!

·
Registered
42 Posts
Flat rate to Canary Wharf, for example, will be nearly same as Chiswick, but double amount of mileages and traaaaafffick ((((

Now things changed opposite!
Many drivers will cancel local short runs in order to go far away, traffic is profitable now )))

·
Premium Member
5,001 Posts
Well, after 2 hours waiting you ending up with local hotel, £5 quids... Do your maths ...

Btw, I've heard same problem black cab drivers have, and if they don't want to take you locally, THEY DO THE SAME !!!
With BC if do local job or less then 1hour no need to wait u got straight to the front;)

·
Registered
5,470 Posts
As another post today mentioned on the move to time & distance fares, LHR to Piccadilly Circus or vice versa would be paying £19 and change after commission on a Pool job

Drivers are waiting 1.5 to 3 or 4 hours at LHR

Some of us wouldn't touch these fares without having to wait around

Local Minicabs are charging £40 and I estimate black cabs charge circa £70+ for the £19 uber journey

·
Registered
221 Posts
what? you can't see the destination before you START the trip, once you start you can't cancel it but you can finish it and get minuiun fares for uberx is £5.00 but you will get 1 star!

·
Registered
42 Posts
That's mean for us Well,
As another post today mentioned on the move to time & distance fares, LHR to Piccadilly Circus or vice versa would be paying £19 and change after commission on a Pool job

Drivers are waiting 1.5 to 3 or 4 hours at LHR

Some of us wouldn't touch these fares without having to wait around

Local Minicabs are charging £40 and I estimate black cabs charge circa £70+ for the £19 uber journey
Sure, so what you would do then as Uber manager to prevent this "job canceling" situation?

.. and roumors are .. UBER LONDON gonna CUT PRICES AGAIN, just like they did in Luton Airport. You know that some US cities drivers are paid 0,30 cents per mile, thats 0,20 p in GBP..!!!!

Do you think anyone will drive for 20 pences a mile, aka £4 from Heathrow to Oxford circus?

·
Registered
2,498 Posts
Firstly to wait at airports not knowing your position is madness. As I mentioned before, I just log off and come away, even at fixed price, the time wasted driving to park and looking for pax was not worth it. Don't really understand why a driver waits there, to get a job after 3hrs wait, to have it cancelled and wait more.

Now with T&D, Uber just killed it, prices are uncertain to both sides, drivers and riders - with drivers again coming out of it worst off, 90% of time.

The solution is very simple and would stop cancellations, but Uber is not really interested.
Charge runs over 10miles at 1.5x to allow empty miles and time wasted specially at airport pick up.
Runs under 10miles from the Airports, set a minimum £20 base fare.

People need to understand, that drivers have all the expenses and have to earn a living.

The way Uber is squeezing the same side all the time, very soon there won't be a driver that knows which way to London.

·
Registered
5,470 Posts
That's mean for us Well,

Sure, so what you would do then as Uber manager to prevent this "job canceling" situation?

.. and roumors are .. UBER LONDON gonna CUT PRICES AGAIN, just like they did in Luton Airport. You know that some US cities drivers are paid 0,30 cents per mile, thats 0,20 p in GBP..!!!!

Do you think anyone will drive for 20 pences a mile, aka £4 from Heathrow to Oxford circus?
Uber shot themselves in the foot really by cutting fares twice already. Most decent drivers left already and what's left?

If I had a say in the matter, fares would be at least the same as when they launched, if not slightly more.
Remember some ph firms had much higher minimums in the City & West End 10 years ago
By continuously cutting rates they just shaft drivers again & again but still they make plenty wonga

I know all about Detroit, it's gone down the pan big time in a lot of the area and some other Towns and Cities in the US.

Luton is about same as Slough rates now £4 minimum, 10p a minute? It's up to you if you want to accept those rates

Yes rumours abound on here for months about next round of rate cuts, cancellation fees being withdrawn etc etc.
Either fight it, take another shafting or move to something paying better

My 10 hours or so a week is just holiday money to me and if rates reduce, I will make that money elsewhere. Another 2 LHR - Gatwick transfers will sort that out

·
Premium Member
5,001 Posts
When uber came to London they had good pax with good and experience ph drivers

In beginning it was BC pax start to used uber app
first they had good experiences coz it was experience PH drivers
Time past
pax they were not happy with the newbie and stupid surge X3.5 they went back to BC

Uber drivers income went down

At the moment uber is targeting cheap very cheap pax I called them bus customers Ho never used taxi or Minicab before coz now uber is cheaper then a bus

Cheap pax more problems

It will not get better it will only get worst

·
Registered
2,640 Posts
Well driver waiting for 2-4 hrs for a job, ping comes in as his made himself to the top of that que. turns out you going local for £5 all he has to do is cancel and wait maybe another 30sec before next request which can turn out to be worth average £34-£40.
Now which moron will take that £5 job when he can earn 8x that for 30 sec wait.

·
Registered
2,640 Posts
When uber came to London they had good pax with good and experience ph drivers

In beginning it was BC pax start to used uber app
first they had good experiences coz it was experience PH drivers
Time past
pax they were not happy with the newbie and stupid surge X3.5 they went back to BC

Uber drivers income went down

At the moment uber is targeting cheap very cheap pax I called them bus customers Ho never used taxi or Minicab before coz now uber is cheaper then a bus

Cheap pax more problems

It will not get better it will only get worst
Realistically earning down specially on weekend is because of too many driver. When it's busy pax can't even find a bc they still use uber. It's just 10 jobs with 100 drivers now.

Don't forget there are more poor people than rich and we still don't get requests lol

·
Premium Member
5,268 Posts
mike butcher like most other users will not care about the driver's pocket. he will not care about the driver's family and he certainly won't care about the driver's family life.
the budget minicab outfit's attraction is price. there are already thousands of black cabs available at the port. follow the signs and get in one. don't need to look at your phone to get in one. don't need to liaise with a driver as to where he can legally pick you up. yes you'd pay a premium just as the black cab driver does.
give the uber drivers a decent wage and lose the biggest reason people use them.

1 - 20 of 60 Posts