Uber Drivers Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
2,786 Posts
The only time the depreciation will matter is when you sell the car, unless you bought it specifically for the business of transporting passengers and depreciate it over five or fewer years on your income taxes.

·
Banned
919 Posts
Once VW hit the resale market in mass from all the pissed off VW owners, Uber will buy them up and use them for their leasing program. Perfect match made and you will probably get screwed.

·
Registered
2,786 Posts
Looking for clarification... isn't the problem with VW only related to cheating on their diesel exhaust emissions results and their diesel cars emitting too high a level of pollutants? I don't see how the bottom line for non-diesel VW owners is that screwed.

·
Registered
413 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Looking for clarification... isn't the problem with VW only related to cheating on their diesel exhaust emissions results and their diesel cars emitting too high a level of pollutants? I don't see how the bottom line for non-diesel VW owners is that screwed.
Yes, that's why I said "Jetta TDI". I compare VW & Uber because Uber cheapens the whole product line.

·
Registered
2,786 Posts
Yes, that's why I said "Jetta TDI". But, it effects VW as a whole and they sell/sold a lot of diesels. Some Uber riders realize they can request an XL & maybe get the most expensive UberSUV at a bargain price & that cheapens the whole product line.
Thank you. Not being a VDub, I didn't know what a TDI was.

·
Registered
2,786 Posts
I'm a Vintage VW guy myself, but it's disturbing to see what is happening to such a great product. It's crazy what can happen to a company because of a couple lawless CEO's.
And VW has been doing so well. I heard they are the number one import brand now, overtaking Toyota, which has had their own problems. The wife and my last six cars have all been German made, but not VW's. I had a Passat as a rental and I was impressed, but I thought it was a little plain, which it the same reason I don't really like Toyotas.

I saw a Maybach at the Mercedes dealership yesterday when I picked up my wife's car from the shop for its scheduled maintenance. I asked if they would take a check for all $237,000. They said no. I had such visions of getting rich on UberBlack.

·
Registered
3,232 Posts
And VW has been doing so well. I heard they are the number one import brand now, overtaking Toyota, which has had their own problems. The wife and my last six cars have all been German made, but not VW's. I had a Passat as a rental and I was impressed, but I thought it was a little plain, which it the same reason I don't really like Toyotas.

I saw a Maybach at the Mercedes dealership yesterday when I picked up my wife's car from the shop for its scheduled maintenance. I asked if they would take a check for all $237,000. They said no. I had such visions of getting rich on UberBlack.
Many VW and Toyota vehicles are sold in US are made in North America. They are made in US, Canada and Mexico. Selective VW and Toyota models are made in the their countries that are sold in US.

It takes less energy and less money to produce Diesel fuel, so its more environment friendly.

Diesel fuel had traditionally been less expensive than gasoline, since it was easier to refine from crude oil. However, beginning in 2004, retail diesel fuel prices have consistently been higher than retail gasoline prices. There are several reasons why.

Seasonality is one factor that had always affected diesel fuel prices. Diesel fuel, also known as number 2 distillate, is essentially the same as home heating oil (the major difference is that diesel fuel contains less sulfur). In colder winters when home heating oil is in more demand, diesel prices typically climbed faster than those for gasoline.

Also, beginning in September, gas demand declines, but diesel fuel demand increases as more diesel fuel is required for the machinery to harvest and transport crops.

http://www.nacsonline.com/yourbusiness/fuelsreports/gasprices_2013/pages/why-diesel-costs-more-than-gasoline.aspx

·
Registered
3,232 Posts
Maybe you should see: LATEST NEWS ABOUT VOLKSWAGEN. You clearly missed the point.
It's about CEO's who **** UP really good companies. Volkswagen Dealerships employees just got a 30-50% cut in pay because the new Diesels are unsellable. HAS YOUR UBER INCOME GONE UP LATELY?
You act as if no car company ever ****ed up.:rolleyes:

·
Premium Member
26,816 Posts
The title of this topic has "Audi" mentioned, but no poster has mentioned it. Yes, I know, an Audi is nothing but a Volkswagen with a Mercedes-Benz price tag, but..................

I have heard that a Maybach is an over-priced disaster, as well, but do not know too much about them. There was some experimental train in Ohio in the 1950s that had an engine built by Maybach that kept breaking down and the railroad people did not know how to fix it, but other than hearing a few awful things here or there, I really do not know that much about a Maybach.

·
Registered
3,232 Posts
I'll bet that Uber Executives DRIVE expensive AUDI TDI's! They might be feeling BETRAYED!
UBER DRIVERS FEEL BETRAYED!
Expensive Audis use bigger TDi engines that aren't affected by this issue. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
413 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Expensive Audis use bigger TDi engines that aren't affected by this issue. :rolleyes:
This story is just starting to get legs so hold your (diesel) horses. You're probably right though, most of the "rigged" Audi's are in Europe.
I'd be interested in knowing if Audi's are popular with European Uber Drivers.

·
Registered
3,232 Posts
This story is just starting to get legs so hold your (diesel) horses. You're probably right though, most of the "rigged" Audi's are in Europe.
I'd be interested in knowing if Audi's are popular with European Uber Drivers.
American vw/Audi 2.0tdi engines.

·
Registered
413 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Once VW hit the resale market in mass from all the pissed off VW owners, Uber will buy them up and use them for their leasing program. Perfect match made and you will probably get screwed.
Actually, Why not lease a used Vw . Good Idea Bob!..... "Used Car Leasing" isn't available anymore but it would be appropriate for ridesharing.
Two year lease/30,000 miles year/includes services/$300 per mo/option to buy at end of lease!

·
Banned
919 Posts
Actually, Why not lease a used Vw . Good Idea Bob!..... "Used Car Leasing" isn't available anymore but it would be appropriate for ridesharing.
Two year lease/30,000 miles year/includes services/$300 per mo/option to buy at end of lease!
Wont pass smog in California...

·
Super Moderator
16,088 Posts
Many VW and Toyota vehicles are sold in US are made in North America. They are made in US, Canada and Mexico. Selective VW and Toyota models are made in the their countries that are sold in US.

It takes less energy and less money to produce Diesel fuel, so its more environment friendly.

Diesel fuel had traditionally been less expensive than gasoline, since it was easier to refine from crude oil. However, beginning in 2004, retail diesel fuel prices have consistently been higher than retail gasoline prices. There are several reasons why.

Seasonality is one factor that had always affected diesel fuel prices. Diesel fuel, also known as number 2 distillate, is essentially the same as home heating oil (the major difference is that diesel fuel contains less sulfur). In colder winters when home heating oil is in more demand, diesel prices typically climbed faster than those for gasoline.

Also, beginning in September, gas demand declines, but diesel fuel demand increases as more diesel fuel is required for the machinery to harvest and transport crops.

http://www.nacsonline.com/yourbusiness/fuelsreports/gasprices_2013/pages/why-diesel-costs-more-than-gasoline.aspx
The report doesn't mention that refiners make more diesel when there is a little too much oil in the local market (California). Then they export the diesel to South America, thus keeping gasoline prices higher locally.

·
Registered
3,232 Posts
The report doesn't mention that, refiners make more diesel when there is a little too much oil in the local market (California). Then they export the diesel to South America, thus keeping gasoline prices higher locally.
Mention what?

1 - 20 of 27 Posts