Uber Drivers Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Who's Competing with Uber?

Article from CNBC, author by Uptin Saiidi

Uber faces fierce competition across the globe.

The controversial tech company has lost billions of dollars over the past few years amid its attempts to gain users and penetrate major markets: Last year it lost $4.5 billion - and $2.8 billion the year before.

Softbank, which has invested billions of dollars in many ride-sharing apps, blurred the lines between Uber's friends and foes when the Japanese conglomerate invested in Uber recently.

Here are some of Uber's most notable competitors and how they compare to the American company currently valued at $68 billion, according to CB Insights.

Didi Chuxing, China, $52 billion valuation

Didi purchased Uber's China operations after the two companies had been competing in the world's most populous country. Uber took a nearly 18 percent stake in Didi.

Ola, India, $3.7 billion valuation

Uber is pushing ahead against Ola by investing heavily in the region. Softbank invested $2 billion in Ola in October 2017.

Lyft, U.S., $11.5 billion valuation

Lyft recently reported it doubled its rides in 2017, which was the same year as the #DeleteUber campaign that followed various controversies around the ride-sharing giant. Uber CEO Dara Khosrowshahi admitted last year that the U.S. has become unprofitable because of competition from Lyft.

Grab, Singapore, $6 billion valuation

Uber is said to be preparing to sell at least part of its Southeast Asia operations to Grab, according to sources.

Grab was started in Malaysia in 2012 with just 10 employees and now it has its headquarters in Singapore and has more than 3,000 employees across the region.

GoJek, Indonesia, $1.8 billion valuation

GoJek is a homegrown Indonesian tech company with a fleet including more than 400,000 cars and motorbikes.

Full article: https://www.cnbc.com/2018/03/19/whos-competing-with-uber.html

·
Registered
14 Posts
To be honest how many drivers have duel rideshare Uber and Lyft (or an0ther rideshare network). we are competing against ourselves.

·
Registered
4,859 Posts
Uber competes with other rideshares on a local/national level, taxis & pax driving themselves globally. The biggest competitor to Uber most don't realize are rental car agencies. Why rent a car if ur going to a city center???

Reactions: SEAMT

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Uber competes with other rideshares on a local/national level, taxis & pax driving themselves globally. The biggest competitor to Uber most don't realize are rental car agencies. Why rent a car if ur going to a city center???
I am not sure how rental car agencies are a competitor to Uber. For to be honest Uber is much better compared to renting a car, less hassle. But definitely see Uber competing with taxi services or even transit for that matter.

·
Premium Member
11,607 Posts
To be honest how many drivers have duel rideshare Uber and Lyft (or an0ther rideshare network). we are competing against ourselves.
No, we are working FOR ourselves. If a rider chooses to use Lyft or Uber, I still have a shot at the ride. Win-win for the driver, and neither Uber nor Lyft want employee-drivers. They're already losing massive money.

To be honest, in the US I think Uber's biggest competitor is Uber. If they did what they do better, they could put away Lyft.

I am not sure how rental car agencies are a competitor to Uber. For to be honest Uber is much better compared to renting a car, less hassle. But definitely see Uber competing with taxi services or even transit for that matter.
Uber competes with everybody who provides any form of transportation for people -- transit, taxis, airport/cruise shuttle services, limo services, car rentals, Citibike, etc, etc.

Specific to rental cars, you'd be amazed by the number of people who do one-day car rentals in Orlando to avoid the cost of other services from the airport to Disney World.

·
Premium Member
1,568 Posts
Uber's lethal competitors, as we perceive is TSLA. It's public traded company that have proven product, just need to cut the prices like Uber.

·
Registered
7,046 Posts
No, we are working FOR ourselves. If a rider chooses to use Lyft or Uber, I still have a shot at the ride. Win-win for the driver, and neither Uber nor Lyft want employee-drivers. They're already losing massive money.

To be honest, in the US I think Uber's biggest competitor is Uber. If they did what they do better, they could put away Lyft.

Uber competes with everybody who provides any form of transportation for people -- transit, taxis, airport/cruise shuttle services, limo services, car rentals, Citibike, etc, etc.

Specific to rental cars, you'd be amazed by the number of people who do one-day car rentals in Orlando to avoid the cost of other services from the airport to Disney World.
Another competitor is parking lots.. specifically airport parking.

·
Premium Member
1,568 Posts
We'd think the best answer is Ride Austin. A government operated, sponsored or endorsed Not-for-profit Rdieshare co-op that do not threaten its poor driving forces with vaporware like driverless company of the future.

·
Banned
30 Posts
no one can compete with subsidizing 41% of a ride millions of times a day period.

theres only 1500ish people on the planet with the billion+ it would take

everyone would shop at my subway if it sold $5 footlongs for $1 until it went out of business

poor people are not supposed to have chauffers & private drivers, outside of maybe 10 cities on the entire planet does not owning a car make sense, driving will also be a valuable skill for any successful free adult for least 3 decades

estimates for cab companies are about a 20% hit which would be devestating to any industry but the vast majority of uber rides a cab company wouldn't even consider, rental car companies have also been hit

buses never made money thats because poor people do deserve transportation in cities built for it.

seriously i get it traveling or every now & then i suppose but locally i mean seriously you dont have or know a family or friend who could use $10-20+ for a ride like civilization did before 2010?

oh wait thats too much its not subsidized so lets exploit a stranger instead...lol

·
Registered
7,046 Posts
no one can compete with subsidizing 41% of a ride millions of times a day period.

theres only 1500ish people on the planet with the billion+ it would take

everyone would shop at my subway if it sold $5 footlongs for $1 until it went out of business

poor people are not supposed to have chauffers & private drivers, outside of maybe 10 cities on the entire planet does not owning a car make sense, driving will also be a valuable skill for any successful free adult for least 3 decades

estimates for cab companies are about a 20% hit which would be devestating to any industry but the vast majority of uber rides a cab company wouldn't even consider, rental car companies have also been hit

buses never made money thats because poor people do deserve transportation in cities built for it.

seriously i get it traveling or every now & then i suppose but locally i mean seriously you dont have or know a family or friend who could use $10-20+ for a ride like civilization did before 2010?

oh wait thats too much its not subsidized so lets exploit a stranger instead...lol
The crappier cab companies are going under, the better ones will pull through.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts