Uber Drivers Forum banner

who is driving a 13 year old girl to school

1K views 13 replies 11 participants last post by  quesie 
#1 ·
Got a ping, went to address and it was a 13 year old black girl. Explained to her, she is a minor and that I could not drive her unless an adult was present. She goes in house and mom comes out. Mom tells me, that I do not know what I am doing, and that it is ok to drive her because other drivers always take her daughter to school. As a parent with a teenage daughter, I could only shake my head while waiting for the timer to to run out and collect a fee.

#9 ·
She will tell you the same thing if the last 6 drivers canceled, or if the last 6 drivers took the daughter, no questions asked. I sometimes show them my phone where it says "unacompanied minor" although you apparently were letting it time out. (Wise...but I imagine the rider cancels first, so they can commence looking for a patsy).

#10 ·
Never argue pre pick up with pax. Wait for it. Doors locked and windows up. Yea bye bye. ?

Uber warns these accounts before taking action towards there accounts. I have seen pax at times with car seats in hand waiting. I will gladly take my time for them with there child to get strapped in nice and safe. I even have a blankie ready for my interior, and a separate one for the kiddo if needed.

I think that’s enough to ask of us. Remember point A to B safely. Is all that is required from us.

But Uber was NEVER clearly designed for children. Simple as that. No matter what hours driven, day/night. It’s not designed for it. So be careful out there.

Keep the kiddies safe.

#12 ·
I know some drivers who've printed up the relevant part of the TOS, they don't argue, they just hand it to them and move on. Remember to follow up in 48 hours to get your fee if you didn't cancel as a no-show.

Now. But I have a commercial one, with better liabilities than both apps provide.
If you're carrying commercial insurance, you can take minors because you have a million $ rider on your policy.

#13 ·
I know some drivers who've printed up the relevant part of the TOS, they don't argue, they just hand it to them and move on. Remember to follow up in 48 hours to get your fee if you didn't cancel as a no-show.

If you're carrying commercial insurance, you can take minors because you have a million $ rider on your policy.
I like to categorize the cancelation...even though I have a theory that Uber un-categorizes them (as "unaccompanied minor" for instance) to cover their statistical backs. When we get paid (a 48 hour wait which should NOT be the case) it is re-defined as "miscellaneous promotion" or something.

I would SO love to find if this is true. Some day there will be a high profile court case I hear about and I will ask the attorneys to pursue this line of inquiry. Or maybe some investigative reporters. Question: When a driver uses the cancelation checkbox,
1. Does Uber take some kind of action (notification is one action) to contact the account holder?
2. Does Uber mark this potential safety violation down for future reference--such as access by lawyers,
a. 'how many unaccompanied minor reports [or no child seat] in October 2019' or
b. 'in 60460' or
c. 'repeat requests 2017-2019 from rider Mary Smith Account # ? or
d. 'requests rejected from Driver Mary Jones Account #...'?
3. How many Uber riders' accounts have been disconnected after 3, 4, 5, 99 attempts to bring unaccompanied minors into Uber vehicles with an adult stranger's responsibility

#14 ·
I like to categorize the cancelation...even though I have a theory that Uber un-categorizes them (as "unaccompanied minor" for instance) to cover their statistical backs. When we get paid (a 48 hour wait which should NOT be the case) it is re-defined as "miscellaneous promotion" or something.

I would SO love to find if this is true. Some day there will be a high profile court case I hear about and I will ask the attorneys to pursue this line of inquiry. Or maybe some investigative reporters. Question: When a driver uses the cancelation checkbox,
1. Does Uber take some kind of action (notification is one action) to contact the account holder?
2. Does Uber mark this potential safety violation down for future reference--such as access by lawyers,
a. 'how many unaccompanied minor reports [or no child seat] in October 2019' or
b. 'in 60460' or
c. 'repeat requests 2017-2019 from rider Mary Smith Account # ? or
d. 'requests rejected from Driver Mary Jones Account #...'?
3. How many Uber riders' accounts have been disconnected after 3, 4, 5, 99 attempts to bring unaccompanied minors into Uber vehicles with an adult stranger's responsibility
I can answer that question. No, Uber doesn't do a thing. There will come a day that they'll regret that.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.