Uber Drivers Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Banned
1998 Mitsubishi Galant
1,236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
is metropcs any good?

i have Verizon for my main phone which im mostly happy with, but i wanna look into getting cell service for my extra phones which i currently use on wifi tether mode.

how's mint mobile? or google fi? been seeing a ton of ads from those.

hows tmobile compare to metropcs, is metropcs a worse service?

ideally i want to be able to "bring my own phone" and simply get a SIM card that i can use on multiple phones.

is that possible or are sim cards locked to a specific phone, and cant be swapped into a new phone without activation process?

·
Premium Member
1,485 Posts
Varies by location. All major carriers have some spots that the coverage isn't as good especially if you are in a rural area. In my market, Verizon seems to work the best. But it's not perfect. Talking to AT&T and T-Mobile/Sprint customers - they have dead spots too and seem to have more of them than VZ

The downside is VZ is expensive. I used to have Sprint, then Straight Talk. My VZ plan costs about twice as much but I think it's worth it.

·
Premium Member
3,453 Posts
Metro unlimited is $40/mo, at least it was for me when I changed my plan recently. Unlimted with hotspot.

Why do you want multiple plans? Is running from hotspot not working?

·
Premium Member
1,485 Posts
is that possible or are sim cards locked to a specific phone, and cant be swapped into a new phone without activation process?
I had total wireless (straight talk) and on that prepaid service I could pop the sim out of any iphone and stick it into any other iphone without changing anything with my account or calling anyone. I just stuck it in (That's what HE said)... but IDK if it would work for android or on other carriers. Total wireless is a pretty good deal if you need multiple lines and it uses VZ network. Downside is during congested times the data gets deprioritized by VZ because they serve their true blue customers first. Think events. Data usage spikes all around an event especially when it's getting over and it can be tough to get pings and use the app. May depend on location. but in my case that's why i switched to true blue VZ. Was paying 100/mo for 4 lines now about 200. But better coverage, better speed, and 4 new phones for free can't knock it.

·
Banned
1998 Mitsubishi Galant
1,236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
my current vzn "5g get more" plan runs about $100/mo which includes a monthly phone payment. i think adding a line used to be much cheaper than it is now
Metro unlimited is $40/mo, at least it was for me when I changed my plan recently. Unlimted with hotspot.

no it's working just fine, but I need it for other purposes

·
Premium Member
3,453 Posts
my current vzn "5g get more" plan runs about $100/mo which includes a monthly phone payment. i think adding a line used to be much cheaper than it is now

no it's working just fine, but I need it for other purposes
Metro has need based plans, if you are in financial hardship. You pay half (I think) normal rate. If you just got laid off you might be able to get unlimited plan for $20.

·
Premium Member
10,052 Posts
Varies by location. All major carriers have some spots that the coverage isn't as good especially if you are in a rural area. In my market, Verizon seems to work the best. But it's not perfect. Talking to AT&T and T-Mobile/Sprint customers - they have dead spots too and seem to have more of them than VZ

The downside is VZ is expensive. I used to have Sprint, then Straight Talk. My VZ plan costs about twice as much but I think it's worth it.
I have Verizon too and it was same as AT&T but it works better. My first cell was with Sprint, never again.

For the OP, T-Mobil is supposed to be cheap but the people I know who have it are not satisfied.

·
Premium Member
12,413 Posts
I had them all since 88.
The deal I got now age 55 up with tmobile unlimited with hot spot 3 lines $90 w tax month.
All companys have been spotty in my area on data the last 4months all phones are 5 G

·
Banned
1998 Mitsubishi Galant
1,236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
Metro has need based plans, if you are in financial hardship. You pay half (I think) normal rate. If you just got laid off you might be able to get unlimited plan for $20.
how do you prove you qualify? will showing them the UP threads with hiring/firing be enough?

or do i need to show them my taco bell badge?

·
Premium Member
10,650 Posts
Pure Talk will give you 6 gigs a month for only $30. They’re on the ATT network, and they’re not all “woke” like these other bullshit companies pretending to give a shit while charging you $100 a month for the same service.

·
Banned
1998 Mitsubishi Galant
1,236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
most cell companies have a similarly structured plan, including verizon until relatively recently when i noticed that adding an additional line appears to cost almost as much as the original first line

another thing about additional lines is that until recently the unthrottled "premium data" (as vzn used to call it) monthly amount was shared across all devices on the plan, meaning if you or another member hogged up a lot of data you could end up on the throttled speeds at peak hours and such. vzn seems to have removed the "premium data" limit on their top "get more" plan (base price $90/mo), im guessing that probably coincided with when the additional line costs increased.

on my current vzn 5g get more plan that costs me nearly $100/mo after taxes, autopay discount and device on 50% monthly promo (paying off the device up front is not an option for the promo), I use roughly ~100gb a month combined including hotspot access

·
Premium Member
731 Posts

You haven't figured it out yet? He doesn't need a new plan this is just his new topic of the day to see how many people take the bait. Looks like we all took it again. 😩

·
Registered
10 Posts
is metropcs any good?

i have Verizon for my main phone which im mostly happy with, but i wanna look into getting cell service for my extra phones which i currently use on wifi tether mode.

how's mint mobile? or google fi? been seeing a ton of ads from those.

hows tmobile compare to metropcs, is metropcs a worse service?

ideally i want to be able to "bring my own phone" and simply get a SIM card that i can use on multiple phones.

I use Mint mobile and have been happy with price/quality. The plan is for fast data but if you go over there’s unlimited slow data.

·
Banned
1998 Mitsubishi Galant
1,236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
are there any carriers out there now that are offering either free or heavily subsidized iphones?

I remember Sprint used to have free iPhone with sign up type deals, not sure what the fine print was and the minimum length of contract etc. I wouldn't sign up with Sprint again even with the free iPhone but wondering if anyone has such a deal right now.

ideally I would like to get one with a larger screen, even if it is a refurbished one, maybe an 11 pro max, 12 promax, etc? not expecting a free 13 pro Max

right now my extra phones I am using off Wi-Fi are Xs and Xs max, that I got for about $280 & $350, respectively. I am planning on returning at least one of them, and have at least another two full months to do so. but I'm wondering since I'm looking to get a cell plan for one of these phones, might as well take advantage of any potential free or discounted phone offers, and get a nicer phone while I'm at it

I have a defective (dead screen) Samsung a50 that I can trade in for any sort of trade-in credit if offered. for example, I think Verizon is offering $400 trade-in credit for this phone which is a lot. but I already have Verizon

·
Banned
1998 Mitsubishi Galant
1,236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 · (Edited)
heres an example of what verizon is offering if i add a line.

they are basically selling you 36 months of service in exchange for the phone... the monthly payment on the phone is waived as long as you keep the service. but to terminate the service cleanly you will need to pay off the remainder of the phone cost balance

too bad they dont have a 12 pro max refurbished "for free", it is $12.xx/mo 50% off promo meaning as long as you keep it for 36 months, that's what it will cost you per month ($4xx total), but if you terminate early or lose your phone mid term you will need to pay the remainder at $24.xx/mo ($8xx total @ 36mo)

so the question comes down to, is the extra line cost of vzn + phone deal worth it vs paying for my own phone & arguably lesser quality service from a different provider? say $60/mo plan from tmobile or metropcs or whatever plus whatever it will cost me on the phone.

the plan cost below is for the PLAN ONLY (based on "free phone"), and choosing the 12 pro max would add $12 a month extra. plus taxes on the full price of the phone and taxes on the plan. minus $10-ish i think discount for autopay. so basically about $100/mo first line and $90/mo second line. yikes.

Font Material property Parallel Screenshot Number

Attachments

1 - 20 of 25 Posts