Uber Drivers Forum banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

· Read Only
931 Posts
Now that i think about it, Uber doesnt show riders faces when accepting rides do they? Driver probably thought he was wearing a mask and was about to get robbed. Had the driver seen his face on the app, he would have known. As I recall, Lyft does show the riders picture. Sounds like a typical media witch hunt on an uber driver when Uber is equally to blame here.

· Read Only
931 Posts
We do not see the riders face or know anything about the rider.
There you go then. Another class action lawsuit? Uber should display when we are picking up handicap pax so this doesnt happen again. Not go public blaming the driver and basically telling us if the situation doesn't look right, take a chance anyways.

· Registered
4,686 Posts
Was it right to cancel? No.

Was it understandable? Yes.

We don't know the background of this driver and we know uber drivers are a very diverse group of people. There are religions out there that frown upon people with deformities like they have some kind of curse.

I do know this though. Each and every one of us would of given a second thought about picking up this guy. I would like to sit here and say I would pick him up anyways, but I honestly don't know. It sounds like this was the morning but what if it was at 3am? You could easily mistake his face as a mask. Obviously now, we know his story and will pick him up, but in hindsight, the right decision is always easier.

Another driver mentioned the warts on his face could be contagious and she wouldn't want him in the same spot her kids go a few hours later. Is she a doctor? No. This driver could of thought the same exact thing.

But this driver has not been outed yet and I commend the rider for not plastering his face all over the media. (from what I have seen thus far)

· Registered
484 Posts
I generally support anyone with a disability but this was going too far based on one sided interview! The driver needs to be interviewed too before assumptions made. I feel for passenger who has this disorder to contend with & I'm sure he's had his past battles with discrimination but sueing for this is a bit overboard. He also could've notified driver of health condition. This has an "opportunistic" feel to it.

We do not see the riders face or know anything about the rider. On the other hand, the rider sees our vehicle and face. To me, that's not fair.
Who knows we could picking up a criminal or Robber. You just never know. The media will ruin this Uber driver's life.
Let's hope not

· Premium Member
4,370 Posts
Was it right to cancel? No.

Was it understandable? Yes.

We don't know the background of this driver and we know uber drivers are a very diverse group of people. There are religions out there that frown upon people with deformities like they have some kind of curse.

I do know this though. Each and every one of us would of given a second thought about picking up this guy. I would like to sit here and say I would pick him up anyways, but I honestly don't know. It sounds like this was the morning but what if it was at 3am? You could easily mistake his face as a mask. Obviously now, we know his story and will pick him up, but in hindsight, the right decision is always easier.

Another driver mentioned the warts on his face could be contagious and she wouldn't want him in the same spot her kids go a few hours later. Is she a doctor? No. This driver could of thought the same exact thing.

But this driver has not been outed yet and I commend the rider for not plastering his face all over the media. (from what I have seen thus far)
This reminds me of the blind man in the Bible. The pharisees said he was born blind because of the sins of his parents. But then Jesus refuted, saying he was born blind for the purpose of bringing glory to God at that moment.

· Registered
3,200 Posts
Thats what I'm talking about. I feel for the rider and Uber driver. There are many Medical transport companies that farm out their trips to Taxi
companies. If I was the Rider, I would of found a different form of transportation. But hey, we drive for a first class company called Uber that does
not have the driver in mind at all.
Other than the deformity of his face it doesn't seem like there's really mobility issue.... Why use anything but Uber.
But I'm the dumb idiot who helps a guy with no legs into my car and puts his wheelchair in the trunk

· Registered
4,686 Posts
Other than the deformity of his face it doesn't seem like there's really mobility issue.... Why use anything but Uber.
But I'm the dumb idiot who helps a guy with no legs into my car and puts his wheelchair in the trunk
What an idiot.:D

I would never cancel on someone in a wheelchair or with a walker.

Just a couple days ago I got a ping and realized I was at a multiservice center and saw some metro short buses and taxi's (handicap accessible) waiting. Im like, this is going to be a short ride, but seeing the metro buses, I was like, I better not cancel or I am going to end up on the 5 o clock news. Young lady comes out with walker. Its a 3 mile trip but she ended up tipping $5 though the app.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.