Uber Drivers Forum banner

Which navigation app do you use with Uber ?

• Uber navigation (in app)

• Google maps

• Waze

• None of the above, because I drive in circles until I run out of gas

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Premium Member
604 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently completed a trip using Ubers in app navigation . I noticed that the riders detail says I drove 20.28 miles but Google maps says the trip is 23 miles. Same route point to point. ?

·
Premium Member
11,636 Posts
I've been known to have all 3 going. I used Uber's nav in-app with no sound, and would usually use Waze separately, but occasionally use Maps instead or to double check something.

Always had all 3 up and running for quick switches.

·
Premium Member
604 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I just spotchecked four of my trips using Uber nav and the mileage was correct.
What do you have selected in the Uber app ?

I've been known to have all 3 going. I used Uber's nav in-app with no sound, and would usually use Waze separately, but occasionally use Maps instead or to double check something.

Always had all 3 up and running for quick switches.
Did you put in the destination address in all three to do a mileage check ? Or are you just monitoring the traffic around you ?

·
Premium Member
11,636 Posts
What do you have selected in the Uber app ?

Did you put in the destination address in all three to do a mileage check ? Or are you just monitoring the traffic around you ?
The destination was automatic in app. AT THE TIME, if you took pool rides, Uber's GPS would take you a somewhat longer route automatically, to look for additional riders regardless of whether or not the driver stopped future requests. It was also more accurate for pin drops vs. address for pickups.

Waze is my general preferred, and I would occasionally pull up route choices during the ride to see if anything would pop up with more miles and the same or shorter time.

Maps is good for the "would I be better off going around this block and come back to this street further down, or should I just sit here in this, possibly short, traffic backup?"

In both Waze and Maps, you can use voice commands to put in the addresses. And, unless it was obvious the pax actively didn't want to be bothered, a quick explanation of "trying to see if we can't save some time here," generated some appreciation.

·
Premium Member
670 Posts
I prefer waze. I look at options and then when the pax looks away I pick the longest route.
When the pax looks confused and says "but the other way is better", I shrug my shoulders and say, Waze is good there must be traffic that way.
And then, into the longest route ride, I ask waze to give me options again. I pick the even longer route.
When the pax asks again, I respond waze knows best followed by "oh look, a squirrel".

·
Premium Member
1,683 Posts
I've gotten used to Waze. Like that you get reports from other drivers about cops, etc. I also like that I can go in and report a closure and have it re-route me.

Only issue with Waze is it does sometimes opt for the shorter route in terms of mileage and you can screw yourself. I'm not in a good habit of checking before I start. If it's a longer ride you really should.

·
Premium Member
1,335 Posts
Waze allows you to select a route . I always take the longest route that will not add too much time to the ride . The general public has confidence in Waze as well so there is less blow back if I say " I am using Waze and ..." .

·
Premium Member
2,041 Posts
The only real plus Maps gives you over Waze is that it, if you're signed-on to your Google account, Maps will create a log of the trip. Given these companies' habit of shortchanging time and mileage, or just plain deciding that they're only going to pay us the time and mileage that they want to pay, these logs will be your only hard proof in a court of law.

NOTE: Maps in-app on Lyft does not log to your Google account.

·
Premium Member
604 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
The only real plus Maps gives you over Waze is that it, if you're signed-on to your Google account, Maps will create a log of the trip. Given these companies' habit of shortchanging time and mileage, or just plain deciding that they're only going to pay us the time and mileage that they want to pay, these logs will be your only hard proof in a court of law.

NOTE: Maps in-app on Lyft does not log to your Google account.
Now that's a good point you make. So in the Uber app, if I have maps selected the trip history is not saved ? Or are you suggesting that I take the destination address and manually put it directly into the Maps app itself ? ?

·
Premium Member
2,041 Posts
Now that's a good point you make. So in the Uber app, if I have maps selected the trip history is not saved ? Or are you suggesting that I take the destination address and manually put it directly into the Maps app itself ? ?
No, when you use Maps, if you're logged-in to your Google account the trip will be logged. However, if you use Maps on Lyft, you have to use the Maps app, not Lyft's in-app GPS.

·
Premium Member
11,636 Posts
The point is to NOT rely on U/L keeping your records correctly. Keep your own, THOROUGH, records. Screenshot the trip info page immediately after accepting a ping, and again right after starting so you get the destination, too. Keep old school, handwritten logs of pax name, p/u location, mileage from time of acceptance to p/u and from p/u to dropoff, tolls, if possible. You can do this by voice on an android phone, I'm sure on iPhone, too. Use your dashcam, too. After accepting, speak the info about the time you accepted, name & rating of pax, any surge (HA!), and how far out GPS says you are from the p/u. the logs in the car don't have to be handwritten, but after your shift you should write it all down.

U/L will lie when it suits them. They will tell you trips you are due a cancellation fee on don't exist. They will miscount trips during a promo. They will tell you you were outside the geofence for a promo when you weren't. Their math, even when "correct" isn't accurate for your tax benefit.

Act like a damned business owner, and take responsibility for your own [email protected]@@.

NOTE: all "you"s in this post are general "you"s, and not directed at any one person.....

.....unless you recognize yourself, in which case put on your big boy/girl pant(ie)s and get with the program!!!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts