Uber Drivers Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have had trouble with Google Maps and Waze. Is there a GPS that works better? I need one that is accurate and keeps up with the speed of the car turning.

·
Premium Member
5,570 Posts
Waze is probably the best, I use to use google but when used as an Uber option it takes forever to load.. If it's a short trip I just use the Uber ... The good thing with Waze it tells you the next turn quicker then the other nav apps

·
Registered
2,227 Posts
Waze is probably the best, I use to use google but when used as an Uber option it takes forever to load.. If it's a short trip I just use the Uber ... The good thing with Waze it tells you the next turn quicker then the other nav apps
I also had trouble w/ selecting Google Maps as the NAV on Uber's App. It also made it difficult to figure out the pick up location. I find Uber's App NAV better to find the pax. I use Waze on my phone to navigate for longer trips. I don't find Google Maps as good as it used to be.

Reactions: RogerJS

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
My experience with Google is it tells me the location is on the right when Its actually on the left or it leads me away from the pax.

With Waze 90% of the time it tells me no GPS or worse just follow the highlighted route, which ends up being very tiny.

I've had to result to using the Verizon Navigator on my phone but it's a hassle to have to enter the location every time. Most of the time I can speak the address but sometimes It doesn't workout that well. Then when in Santa Monica there was no GPS signal or it would tell me to go another way because it is reading my location on the street next to the street I'm on.

You can say I'm frustrated with GPS at this point. So far Verizon NAV has been the lessor of three evils, lol. Just not convenient to use with the uber app :(

·
Registered
142 Posts
My experience with Google is it tells me the location is on the right when Its actually on the left or it leads me away from the pax.

With Waze 90% of the time it tells me no GPS or worse just follow the highlighted route, which ends up being very tiny.

I've had to result to using the Verizon Navigator on my phone but it's a hassle to have to enter the location every time. Most of the time I can speak the address but sometimes It doesn't workout that well. Then when in Santa Monica there was no GPS signal or it would tell me to go another way because it is reading my location on the street next to the street I'm on.

You can say I'm frustrated with GPS at this point. So far Verizon NAV has been the lessor of three evils, lol. Just not convenient to use with the uber app :(
What type of phone?

·
Registered
373 Posts
From using it the most, I prefer the in app nav with Uber. I have greater success in finding the Pax with the pin visible, without having to bounce back and forth between two apps. Not perfect, as we all know the pin can be anywhere... But I just got used to doing it that way.
But now I am using Waze more with the Lyft app. I'm sure with time, I'll get used to doing it that was as well (Waze)

·
Premium Member
5,570 Posts
Waze is the best if you drive high traffic areas the reroutes are great most of the time, sometimes a lot of rerouteing to save a few minutes, so you need to use your best judgement but it's saved me a lot of sitting time in traffic

·
Premium Member
1,804 Posts
I prefer the passenger to tell me where to go.....turn-by-turn....who needs all this technology.
heck if we could get rid of the middle man ...uber app....I would like that as well

·
Registered
142 Posts
From using it the most, I prefer the in app nav with Uber. I have greater success in finding the Pax with the pin visible, without having to bounce back and forth between two apps. Not perfect, as we all know the pin can be anywhere... But I just got used to doing it that way.
But now I am using Waze more with the Lyft app. I'm sure with time, I'll get used to doing it that was as well (Waze)
I feel like im missing something....please correct me if Im wrong but the uber app isnt navigation, it just a map with two pins right, that follows the pin that represents you, with a pin that faces north everytime you immobile, i only use that part when i have arrived on google maps, i switch over to make sure i didnt overshoot rider pin, or that theyre to my left and not my right. But using it to get there? I would have to stare just at my phone while i steered my pin through a 2d map in order to do that....anyyyway, google is legit, except when it freezes, then i just switch to the direction list....also, im biased on this subject so dont listen to me

·
Registered
15,927 Posts
Rand Mcnally....spiral, 2008 edition

Im like hey pax, write this down, pg 632 E7,E8....wait did you say South Canyon Rd or North, ah nevermind, South is closer, we'll go there first and check it out
I have a kia soul with awesome car nav so I use that if needed. But I have a key map (map in book form--what all pros used in houston before gps) in the car just in case.

·
Registered
142 Posts
I prefer the passenger to tell me where to go.....turn-by-turn....who needs all this technology.
heck if we could get rid of the middle man ...uber app....I would like that as well
Hey man, just keep the U taped up and drive up to people on the side of the road starin
Yes, until you tap the nav option for turn by turn directions. It stays (on the iPhone app) on the same screen, with pins included
Thats my problem, no iphone, my nav button takes me straight to google maps, chosen by me in settings. But there wasnt a choice for uber nav, just waze or google....am i still missing something here? I dont think I am
Also, I dont see music notification with my aux plugged in, wtf

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
When a call comes in I'm usually driving and not parked in one place so it has been difficult to manually enter addresses because I can't rely on the navigation apps linked to uber app. Shaking my head with disappointment...

·
Registered
142 Posts
When a call comes in I'm usually driving and not parked in one place so it has been difficult to manually enter addresses because I can't rely on the navigation apps linked to uber app. Shaking my head with disappointment...
Ya screw that man....i just hit that button, it segways to maps loads the location, starts navi, all with one push....it takes a sec though and everytime it reroutes me to flip a *****, but no sweat, i hit that blinker, pull the ebrake and im on the way.....

1 - 20 of 40 Posts