Uber Drivers Forum banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

· Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I shall have to buy a new car because my existing one is 9 years old. Deliberating between a Hybrid Camry and a Hybrid Corolla.
Considering getting jobs to the airport Camry seems better but for economy Corolla seems better.
Suggestions solicited please.

· Registered
991 Posts
If I were replacing my car for Uber, I wouldn't buy a new car, I'd buy one that's 2 or 3 years old and already done a lot of depreciating. Cars get trashed doing Uber, so there's no point in trashing a brand new car. Corolla seems pretty small for Uber. Why not compare the Toyotas with a near new Volkswagen or Skoda diesel? In Melbourne a lot of cabs are switching to Skoda Superb diesel now that Holden/Ford are ceasing production soon. They're more comfortable and much better to drive than the Toyota as well.

· Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The cost of car and gst can be claimed from the tax, so I think it's good to buy a reliable car. Also, in this forum have read that it matters to the ryder what car you are driving and they give the feedback accordingly.

· Registered
1,107 Posts
The cost of car and gst can be claimed from the tax, so I think it's good to buy a reliable car. Also, in this forum have read that it matters to the ryder what car you are driving and they give the feedback accordingly.
Mate, I've got a Suzuki Sx4, similar to a 5 door Corolla...
Rating after 1,500+ rides, 4.9 rating..
90% of the rating is you, your personality, your driving, your route knowledge etc.
The car is just one component of your rating..
But that being said, if I was setting up to be a full time UberX driver, then a Camry Hybrid would be first on my list.
I have a current 2.4l Camry as my real job car and regularly drive 1.5-2.0k per week and the Camry is so comfortable..
But so is a Hyundai i40 and Skoda superb...
Driver comfort.
Gold.

· Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Suzuki SX4 is the size of Toyota Corolla, a fairly decent size car if the passenger doesn't have many belongings.

You are right it's a combination of all the things mentioned by you.

Thanks heaps Avago. Toyota Camry hybrid is big on my mind.

· Registered
732 Posts
I'll throw a curve ball at you.

Have a look at the Lexus CT200. Can buy a 2-3 year old one for $25K and run it for 40,000kms with very little depreciation.

I have 2400 drives logged in mine with a 4.92 rating. Riders love it.

Cheeeeeeap to run. Getting 4.8lt/100
That sounds awesome. What's service costs like for Lexus? I know it's a Toyota, but are they loads dearer?

· Premium Member
4,962 Posts
I'll throw a curve ball at you.

Have a look at the Lexus CT200. Can buy a 2-3 year old one for $25K and run it for 40,000kms with very little depreciation.

I have 2400 drives logged in mine with a 4.92 rating. Riders love it.

Cheeeeeeap to run. Getting 4.8lt/100
Lexus ct 200 isnt that the hybrids . But you need to change the battery every couple of years and the Battery cost alot to replace . Wouldn't the car depreciate faster than a normal car as it is useless without the battery so the car life is depends in the battery life

· Premium Member
1,398 Posts
I think you may need to do a little more informed research about hybrids. Lexus hybrid battery packs are warranted for 10 years.....Toyota packs are covered for 8 years. Wherever you got the information on needing to replace packs after 2 years is very very wrong.

· Premium Member
4,962 Posts
I think you may need to do a little more informed research about hybrids. Lexus hybrid battery packs are warranted for 10 years.....Toyota packs are covered for 8 years. Wherever you got the information on needing to replace packs after 2 years is very very wrong.
That depend on in how offend you drive it maybe 8 years but if you drive over 100,000 miles or Km then it is not cover

· Premium Member
1,717 Posts
CT200 battery warranty of 8 years or 160,000 km whichever comes first. For a full time Uber driver ~ 3 years. If buying second hand, the battery may last 1 or 2 years. ICECOOL is right that hybrid lexus does not save much or any at all. The greater depreciation of hybrid lexus + high maintenance costs negate its saving in fuel, auto experts agree too. Hybrid cars are good if you care for the environment.

· Registered
470 Posts
CT200 battery warranty of 8 years or 160,000 km whichever comes first. For a full time Uber driver ~ 3 years. If buying second hand, the battery may last 1 or 2 years. ICECOOL is right that hybrid lexus does not save much or any at all. The greater depreciation of hybrid lexus + high maintenance costs negate its saving in fuel, auto experts agree too. Hybrid cars are good if you care for the environment.
Where is the high maintenance cost of hybrid?
I have owened Prii for 13 years. On my 2nd one now. Are very cheap to run.
Battery went on 1st one at 275k. Picked one up from a wrecker for $750. That car is still running with no issues.
Was in a 2009 Prius last weekend as a rider. Had done over 500k and no issues with it.
Warranty on Prius battery is 8 years 160k also.

· Registered
470 Posts
Lexus ct 200 isnt that the hybrids . But you need to change the battery every couple of years and the Battery cost alot to replace . Wouldn't the car depreciate faster than a normal car as it is useless without the battery so the car life is depends in the battery life
I can tell you that you are very much misinformed if you believe that the battery needs to be replaced every couple of years.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.