Uber Drivers Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2,962 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Unions can work for Drivers. :) Organizing is possible among Drivers. :) Drivers will work together for their common good. :) There have been even more successful Lawsuits benefiting Drivers. :) However, it only seems to happen in limited locations. :(

The reasons drivers need to organize to receive the same benefits and protections as restaurant workers or taxi drivers have been extensively discussed on this forum. The fact that we are classified as independent contractors instead of employees is an ongoing scandal. :mad: The reasons include allowing Uber and Lyft to avoid paying drivers a living wage, normal employee benefits, gap auto insurance, and shift most of the many, serious risks and costs of ridesharing entirely onto the drivers. :mad::mad::mad:

This forum has discussed the difficulties or organizing drivers to work together. There will always be some drivers that see anything like a strike as a personal opportunity to increase their personal income for a day or two, regardless of how that hurts other drivers. :(

Despite these issues Unions, Organizing, and Lawsuits have been successful in the USA. :) To date, this has mostly been confined to the West Coast, especially, San Francisco where Uber and Lyft are headquartered and Seattle. Additionally, there have been successful lawsuits in New York City and Washington, DC. :) Unfortunately, those Unions and lawsuits only benefit a small percentage of drivers across the country. There has been little or no nationwide action that would benefit all drivers in the USA. :(

Overseas, outside the USA, there has been even more success, in places like Australia, the UK, and elsewhere in Europe. While we applaud those successes, :) they do not benefit the vast majority of drivers in the USA. :( Internationally, union activity continues and intensifies in places including Australia, like this September 4, 2017 action.

Where else are Unions, Organizing, and Lawsuits succeeding?

How can that success benefit the majority of drivers in the USA?

·
Banned
11,813 Posts
Unions can work for Drivers. :) Organizing is possible among Drivers. :) Drivers will work together for their common good. :) There have been even more successful Lawsuits benefiting Drivers. :) However, it only seems to happen in limited locations. :(

The reasons drivers need to organize to receive the same benefits and protections as restaurant workers or taxi drivers have been extensively discussed on this forum. The fact that we are classified as independent contractors instead of employees is an ongoing scandal. :mad: The reasons include allowing Uber and Lyft to avoid paying drivers a living wage, normal employee benefits, gap auto insurance, and shift most of the many, serious risks and costs of ridesharing entirely onto the drivers. :mad::mad::mad:

This forum has discussed the difficulties or organizing drivers to work together. There will always be some drivers that see anything like a strike as a personal opportunity to increase their personal income for a day or two, regardless of how that hurts other drivers. :(

Despite these issues Unions, Organizing, and Lawsuits have been successful in the USA. :) To date, this has mostly been confined to the West Coast, especially, San Francisco where Uber and Lyft are headquartered and Seattle. Additionally, there have been successful lawsuits in New York City and Washington, DC. :) Unfortunately, those Unions and lawsuits only benefit a small percentage of drivers across the country. There has been little or no nationwide action that would benefit all drivers in the USA. :(

Overseas, outside the USA, there has been even more success, in places like Australia, the UK, and elsewhere in Europe. While we applaud those successes, :) they do not benefit the vast majority of drivers in the USA. :( Internationally, union activity continues and intensifies in places including Australia, like this September 4, 2017 action.

Where else are Unions, Organizing, and Lawsuits succeeding?

How can that success benefit the majority of drivers in the USA?
Really? You want to organize UberX drivers? 95% of them don't even have a clue if they're profiting or not, have the proper insurance or not, know if they're employees or not, know if they're in compliance with local laws or not and many other aspects of business ownership. C'Mon Maven, I have more faith in your intelligence than creating a thread like this.

·
Registered
3,977 Posts

The reasons drivers need to organize to receive the same benefits and protections as restaurant workers or taxi drivers have been extensively discussed on this forum.
The vast majority of taxi drivers and restaurant workers aren't unionized.

Those 2 industries are the way they are,much because there is extensive government regulations in both of those fields.

The Uber idea was the elimination and reduction of regulation- scofflaw of the status quo.

Further, the Uber idea of "putting on one's Side Hustle" makes unionization much less likely. Getting thousands of side hustlers to pony up union dues is a herculean task.

·
Premium Member
2,272 Posts
Another concern would be union dues?
How much?
For the driver that works short hours would the amount of dues make it not worthwhile to drive?

Second, would it be a closed shop, requiring all drivers to join? What if you live in a right to work state?

Many questions need to be answered.

·
Registered
3,977 Posts
Another concern would be union dues?
How much?
For the driver that works short hours would the amount of dues make it not worthwhile to drive?
The unions would probably set up the dues as a percentage of the fares received- the money being extracted directly from the fares before the money is dispersed to the partners.

I don't know whether Right to Work would be a factor. Right to Work usually only involves the right of employees- Uber partners aren't employees.

Further, some transportation services are ruled by the Railway Labor Act, which is a different ball of wax opposed to ordinary labor law. Things would have to be worked out.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Organizing is a war. First step here for organizing is to have a space where planning and ideas can be exchanged freely. If the moderators or administrators are not completely on board they will 1) sell you out and/or 2) allow the space to be destroyed by anti-union contributors. Establishing and maintaining a space your forces control is key. Would Uber would allow union drivers to sit in on its strategy sessions and make criticisms?

·
Registered
32 Posts
I like the idea of working as an outside contractor. Unfortunately, I have outstanding judgements for disputed debts. As an outside contractor creditors cannot garnish wages. if the drivers were unionized, we would have to become employees. I'm not against unions but in this case I don't think it would work for me. The first step is to determine what the problems are? Uber could set up a committee of drivers who could listen to the issues and potentially make recommendations for change? I will say I don't like the fact you never see who you are working for, and also that nobody in management has a last name or direct phone number. I think that's a problem. It just lacks the kind of compassion which used to exist when people are working together. There is also a lack of meeting for drivers. I think this forum is great, but I would still like to see who I'm talking to. I also want to say that unions are not always fair, and don't always serve the best interests of its members. That is especially true when employees are forced to join a union. That provides unfair empowerment which I think is an injustice. if they don't want to belong. that is an injustice. If government is concerned about injustice for drivers or any other working environment, they could also set up a committee to hear the concerns, rather than just adopt regulations without knowing the real facts of the issues before taking actions.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Many drivers like the idea of working as contractor. You make some good points. It's not necessary to make employee designation the goal. The goal is control over our work.

Translation: be flexible and not rigid in your thinking. We need to control the work that we do. That means being organized and being able to deliver a consequence when we are dealt with unfairly. It doesn't necessarily mean having an employee designation, something I do not personally desire as well.

You make good points DRIVER-99 but they are non-sequiturs as it regards to deciding whether or not to organize.

Again, this is a war. The most powerful weapon in this war is information. There is a lot of bad information floating around as to what our options are and that bad information in the heads of drivers demotivates them before they can even try to improve their situation. We need good information as a foundation for organization. That means controlling our talk space. I don't know who controls this space but I have seen it time and again where good, well-intentioned people come together and a few bad actors are allowed to ruin it.

·
Registered
1,852 Posts
the technology prevents organizing, a construction site has maybe 2-3 entrances into the jobsite, additionally there is some control over who and how the trades are taught. Uber has millions of basically anon users and locations, no barrier to entry. The smart way to improve conditions is create a driver owned TNC where the corporate declarations act as the union regulations would to protect drivers conditions, you could even set up revenue sharing. Unfortunately the masses of drivers are unlikely to comprehend the benefit of this concept.

·
Registered
16 Posts
The tech doesn't prevent organizing. The internet makes it easier to organize. Because of the nature of Uber, strikes can be executed with little threat of reprisal from the company. Just log off.

The gig economy is not hard to cripple. We simply must have the will.

·
Registered
23 Posts
The tech doesn't prevent organizing. The internet makes it easier to organize. Because of the nature of Uber, strikes can be executed with little threat of reprisal from the company. Just log off.

The gig economy is not hard to cripple. We simply must have the will.
Well said GOAT!!!
My name is Tom Naue. I am a retired teamster and currently drive for LYFT &UBER.
There are many problems and many issues to be worked out in forming a driver's organization. However we have tremendous power to effectively fight the abusive practices of UBER&LYFT.
Riders have become very dependant on the service we provide. One day of turning off the APP in major markets will get their attention.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts