Uber Drivers Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have only done 4 trips. For none of them did a phone number appear. Where is it? Does it only appear if something goes wrong, or if they call you?

·
Registered
719 Posts
Uber doesn't give out personal phone numbers, but a 'third' party number to keep the privacy of the driver/rider.

(You should then probably change your voicemail message so it doesn't share your phone number with others)

·
Registered
63 Posts
You'll have an anonymous number assigned to you so you'll use the same number to reach all riders. Once you've accepted a trip, you can press "info" in the app to find the number.

·
Registered
971 Posts
Top right corner of the app is a little icon, looks like a battery to me. Tap that icon, and you'll have some choices - one of them is "contact rider". Then you can choose to text or call.

·
Registered
2,706 Posts
Once you have the number, save it to your contacts. It will always be the same number. I have it set as a speed dial number as well, very helpful when trying to locate a pax in an area dense with drunks like downtown Austin is on a weekend night.

·
Banned
3,215 Posts
I have only done 4 trips. For none of them did a phone number appear. Where is it? Does it only appear if something goes wrong, or if they call you?
Why do you need a phone number? Driver should never have to call a pax. All you need is a stopwatch. And if pax hasn't shown by 5:01, you cancel, collect your fee, and move on.

·
Registered
2,706 Posts
Why do you need a phone number? Driver should never have to call a pax. All you need is a stopwatch. And if pax hasn't shown by 5:01, you cancel, collect your fee, and move on.
Because contacting a rider when trying to make a pick-up is a part of providing customer service. Something you obviously don't understand. I'd rather have the $10 ride. If all you want to do is collect no show cancellations, go for it, though.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Because contacting a rider when trying to make a pick-up is a part of providing customer service. Something you obviously don't understand. I'd rather have the $10 ride. If all you want to do is collect no show cancellations, go for it, though.
I agree sometimes it is necessary to contact pax in order to facilitate smooth pickup, I can think of at least three or four regular locations where I call ahead to educate the pax on what is easiest. It is ironic that people on this board are constantly complaining about the entitlement mentality of the pax and yet they don't recognize the entitlement mentality they are displaying. Yes it would be nice to have everything run exactly as it should, but rarely in anything does that happen, so we should stop feeling entitled to a perfectly placed pin, toes on curb, and perfect pax, instead we should work to educate them so it benefits us and the next driver. Besides if everything went smoothly then Uber would be right!

·
Registered
1,227 Posts
I am regularly calling and texting passengers for location. Especially at the airport. Definitely need to know what airline they came in on. What do you want me to do? Drive to the pin when they requested a ride while walking off the plane.

·
Banned
3,215 Posts
Remember...ABC.
You're a contractor, not a nanny or a babysitter. Your time is far too valuable to waste. As an IC, you have to understand and accept that no one's time is more valuable than yours. Yes, I do understand customer service - very well, in fact, thank you very much. But I also understand time optimization and profit maximization, and those take a long time to master. But you're evidently new to the IC world, so keep moving forward and learning as you go. You'll get this!

·
Registered
2,706 Posts
Nope, not new at all to the IC life.
Keep up the good attitude, though, I'm sure you're a real pleasure to ride with.
As far as time optimization, that's what the phone call does, it usually means I actually get to the right location and the pax doesn't make me wait. So while you wait and pull a dick move by not attempting to contact them, I already have them in the car and headed down the road.

·
Banned
3,215 Posts
Nope, not new at all to the IC life.
Keep up the good attitude, though, I'm sure you're a real pleasure to ride with.
Thanks, pardner! Props appreciated. I know my paxs enjoy my company - I'm currently at 4.94 rating, so I'm evidently doing something right, as you suggested!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts