Uber Drivers Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
I've had good luck basing myself at the Whole Foods Market on Lemmon Ave and the Inwood Rd DART station. Both will get Love Field requests.
The Inwood Rd DART station will not give rail passengers, but it will give you pick-ups in the medical district.

Congratulations on your new business!

·
Registered
578 Posts
stay away from picking people up around uptown, SMU and downtown unless it's surging over 3X. Most are short rides that waste your time and gas. It's a decent part time distraction if you take surge rides over 2X far away from the places mentioned above, ,but I wouldn't spend a lot of time trying to make this a full time gig. There are a handful of people that are bringing in decent money before expenses, but they are living in their cars and driving them in to the dirt, with a cloud of risk looming over their heads.

Considering 1)you have to have vehicle and driver permits, 2)your car is an asset that should generate a positive return, and 3)you are on public roads that increase the risk of asset damage and personal injury, this endeavor should bring a decent profit well above minimum wage. However there are too many competing drivers willing to do this for $6-$8 per hour net profit that ruin it. That's why you have to cherry pick the surges, and there aren't enough of them for this to make sense full time .

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I've had good luck basing myself at the Whole Foods Market on Lemmon Ave and the Inwood Rd DART station. Both will get Love Field requests.
The Inwood Rd DART station will not give rail passengers, but it will give you pick-ups in the medical district.

Congratulations on your new business!
Thank u sir

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
stay away from picking people up around uptown, SMU and downtown unless it's surging over 3X. Most are short rides that waste your time and gas. It's a decent part time distraction if you take surge rides over 2X far away from the places mentioned above, ,but I wouldn't spend a lot of time trying to make this a full time gig. There are a handful of people that are bringing in decent money before expenses, but they are living in their cars and driving them in to the dirt, with a cloud of risk looming over their heads.

Considering 1)you have to have vehicle and driver permits, 2)your car is an asset that should generate a positive return, and 3)you are on public roads that increase the risk of asset damage and personal injury, this endeavor should bring a decent profit well above minimum wage. However there are too many competing drivers willing to do this for $6-$8 per hour net profit that ruin it. That's why you have to cherry pick the surges, and there aren't enough of them for this to make sense full time .
Thank you sir, it working OK today, in just keep listening and trying, it could be worse, I gotta quit getting side tracked and meeting friends for lunch of I am in their area

·
Premium Member
8,236 Posts
Am I driving my car in the dirt and living in my car? View attachment 12235
everybody gets a lucky surge here and here
there's no way you're doing this on a consistent daily basis
way more to the story than just the pic of the fare you post

and you're obviously posting surge fares. Nobody has any gripe about people driving in Dallas for surge only

·
Registered
257 Posts
Here you go, this is an awesome surge fare, I don't mind people seeing the pickup because it's not a place I frequent. But it is in a location where most of the grumpy people on this board tell you to avoid.
IMAG2468.jpg

·
Registered
138 Posts
You keep posting your flowery trips and weekly statements but your never include the mileage and online hours. If you're not a braggart or a paid Uber poster you need to include that information, if you really do want an answer.
Who gives a shit? His car is paid off and he's probably already made more than it's worth.

His time? That's his freaking business what he does with it. So in other words, OW has carved out a nice way for him to make around 50k/yr while the rest of the bums sit in a *****fest.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Who gives a shit? His car is paid off and he's probably already made more than it's worth.

His time? That's his freaking business what he does with it. So in other words, OW has carved out a nice way for him to make around 50k/yr while the rest of the bums sit in a *****fest.
...and the 3rd of OldTimer's AA sponsors finally chimes in.

·
Premium Member
2,389 Posts

I don't think anyone disputes that we could earn $1k+ per week driving Uber full time (40-50 hours/week). And I also know from OW's previous posts that he drives a very fuel efficient vehicle (if I'm not mistaken, he's getting over 30 mpg). He's doing great, although given all the rate slashing, he could be doing much better.

However, I personally feel that when numbers like this are shown without an approximation of total mileage (dead + occupied), it paints a very unrealistic picture for new drivers.

6,000+ miles per month / 72,000+ miles per year is *not* negligible.

Someone posted and said OW could "buy a new car in 5 months". Well, sure, he could, if he had ZERO other expenses in his life (and I'm not just talking fuel, maintenance, etc., I'm talking food, housing, utilities, clothes). Hell, I could buy a new car every 4 months if I didn't have to pay my mortgage and other expenses.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts