Uber Drivers Forum banner
21 - 40 of 47 Posts

·
Premium Member
144 Posts
I am surprised. I have been in a mental institution 30 times now. Not the case usually, cool story. I was in places where we could order food. we pooled our money, never gave a tip. I now do runs like that, makes me feel good helping others. My gf's used to have food shipped to our units for everyone. You may not realize it, but you are helping others less fortunate than you. It may sound stupid, but I feel good about every run I make. I make people happy. My favs are patients in hospitals. In our small way, we are making the world a better place each day. I end each day feeling good about myself. Won't find that in most jobs.

·
Registered
4,011 Posts
I delivered food to a maximum security mental health facility once. I didn't go inside, I was greeted outside. The interesting thing is that I suspect the person I delivered the food to was an inmate based on the way he was dressed.
Orange jumpsuit or black and white stripes?:D

·
Premium Member
978 Posts
Although two of these are deliveries to residences, they are unusual enough to likely merit inclusion in this thread.

1). Delivery of ice cream and a separate cone to third floor luxury apt/condo. The weird thing is the lady asked me to THROW the ice cream and cone up to the third floor and over several units from where I was. I figured she was a guest staying there with someone else (who was likely gone and had the only key). She reached over the railing and I gave a mighty heave. The bag was about 1-1.5 feet from her outstretched hands and fell behind a neighbor’s gate below. I still got the full tip.

2). A fast food delivery was made recently to a person at a highly secure house. Right after the delivery when I took my photo, she responded by asking why I took the photo, since she was in Witness Protection! Fortunately the photo didn’t have anything incriminating.

3). Delivery was made to two guys in a parking lot near a business. They came over to me. One was smoking a joint and asked if I wanted one. I said I couldn’t do that while working.

·
2021 Bugatti Chiron
6,922 Posts
Where have been the most interesting places you had to drop off food at? I have in mind places that are not residences or workplaces.

Have you been asked to deliver food to the middle of a bridge?

To someone in a parked car? (Makes you wonder why they didn't just drive themselves to the restaurant.)

Atop a skyscraper, to New York construction workers on a crossbeam?

To a baseball field, football stadium, where you're given the exact seat of the customer (Gate 5, Section 12, Row 34)?

To a bus stop, airport (for a soon-to-depart passenger)?

Underground, to a stinky sewage pipe for hardworking clog-removers?
Middle of Bridge. ✅
Parked Car. ✅

Delivered food to a group of people that were out on the middle of a bridge fishing. Had to walk down the fishing bridge a few hundred yards. They tipped very well.
Cloud Sky Water Street light Road surface

Delivered to a parked car, it was parked in a business lot on a Saturday night overlooking a very pricey neighborhood, pretty sure it was a Private Investigator watching a house. He had cameras, and video cameras set in the car. Binoculars and night vision monocular on the dash. A laptop with a red screen and several note books.

Delivered food to a boat ramp and dock where people were waiting for me at the dock.

Delivered food to sunbathers on a beach. Won't do that again, they will have to meet me at the parking area. Shoes were full of sand for what seemed like days.

Delivered food to the side of the road on a long stretch of desolate hwy. Person towing boat had a trailer tire with seized bearing and had a several hour wait for the trailer repair guy to show up. Another delivery that tipped very well because of the distance involved.

·
Premium Member
144 Posts
great stories Driving with Purpose. One thing I love with this gig is that you never know what weird things you will come across on any shift.

·
Premium Member
62,179 Posts
Where have been the most interesting places you had to drop off food at? I have in mind places that are not residences or workplaces.

Have you been asked to deliver food to the middle of a bridge?

To someone in a parked car? (Makes you wonder why they didn't just drive themselves to the restaurant.)

Atop a skyscraper, to New York construction workers on a crossbeam?

To a baseball field, football stadium, where you're given the exact seat of the customer (Gate 5, Section 12, Row 34)?

To a bus stop, airport (for a soon-to-depart passenger)?

Underground, to a stinky sewage pipe for hardworking clog-removers?
See my PROFILE PICTURE.

ITS AN ODECO JACK UP OIL RIG OVER AN OIL & GAS PRODUCTION PLATFORM IN THE GULF OF MEXICO.

ALL OF MY JOBS USED TO BE " INTERESTING"

·
Premium Member
10,806 Posts
Philadelphia flyers locker room many times non uber private.
To the phl airport food 1 soda sandwich cookie each to Villanova football team going on road trip.
Naked woman answering the door . So many more. 20.plus years as 2and job. The coolest I seen while at flyers locker room. Was starting the 3rd period. Was against Pittsburgh plays off years ago. I had to wait a few minutes so flyers could get out of the locker room. Foods for after the game. They marched in the hallway. And team captain says let's finish them off. 1 by 1 they hi 5 ed the captain. And I dont even like hockey. Classy sports figures.

·
Premium Member
3,289 Posts
I don't deliver food, so every location I've delivered to has been quite forgettable.

Reactions: tohunt4me

·
Premium Member
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #36 ·
I deliver to hospital staff pretty much daily. My mom and sister are nurses, and I know how hard they work (way harder than me!) so I don't even mind waiting a few extra minutes for those deliveries. They always tip well.
Do they know that your mom and sister are nurses? Perhaps they are scared of the retribution should they tip poorly. Lol

·
Premium Member
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #37 ·
Homeless guy living under a bridge. He used the business's address next to the bridge, he was standing on the road waiting for me. He was also my biggest tip yet $28 on $12 order
TIL you can't just mark your location on a map, but that you need to input some street address.

·
Premium Member
1,131 Posts
See my PROFILE PICTURE.

ITS AN ODECO JACK UP OIL RIG OVER AN OIL & GAS PRODUCTION PLATFORM IN THE GULF OF MEXICO.

ALL OF MY JOBS USED TO BE " INTERESTING"
Back when I was driving a truck delivering electrical parts, I had to deliver to oil rigs. Directions were like go south on US 385 to FM1233. Go west 9.4 miles to the cattle guard with the red jar. Go south 2.7 miles, should be the 3rd road on the right. You can see the rig or pumpjack or tank battery from there. These weren't always successful as the person giving directions were relaying and/or all were trying to do it from memory.

I also delivered to a minimum security prison fairly regularly. That was odd. I would sign in at the gate and they would give me directions to the loading dock. I would then back up to the dock and a guard or 2 would come out with 4 or 5 prisoners to unload. It was really secure as there were LINES painted on the ground and neither I nor they could cross them. The prisoners were just white collar savings and loan criminals or watergate convicts and the like.

21 - 40 of 47 Posts