Uber Drivers Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just curious, where do you guys mount your phone? I know a lot of drivers prefer the vent mount, but for those using the windshield suction mount (like me), I'm always a bit perplexed when I see them stuck in the middle of the windshield below the mirror. Does that not obstruct a good portion of your view? I keep mine in the corner, where it doesn't block my driver-door mirror or my main field of vision (photo below), but I'm always open to improving my tactics. Just wondered what you have all found to be the ideal place for your phone, and why you prefer it.

Car Sky Vehicle Motor vehicle Automotive side-view mirror

·
Premium Member
1,146 Posts
I use a cupholder mount, and I love it. Sits right next to and above my shifter/coffee mug in the center.

I'll never put a phone anywhere above the dashboard. To me they're unsightly, a potential obstruction (not yours, but many I see are), too bright at night looking like a spotlight in your face, and a potential ticket item if a cop needs something to pull you over on.

A cupholder mount is discreet (doesn't scream Uber driver), it's stable, don't worry about suction cup, mine is angled perfectly that I can quickly glance at it, or see from corner of eye without even looking down.

It's also far more stable and balanced for your hand, since you can rest your hand over your phone and use your thumb for quick things, like switching between uber app/Google maps, or a quick confirmation text message with pax. With your hand up hovering in mid air it's more unstable then being able to cup or rest it on something.

If I do briefly (and safely) use my phone at a red light it's not obvious - for example I quickly Google mapped the exact address of a restaurant I liked for a pax, or if you're making a nav change - looks and feels less clumsy than leaning forward and doing it above the dash.

All my opinion and what works for me anyway! I'm guessing some cars might have cupholder too far back for this to be functional. Have received some compliments from pax on it too. There are a few different models.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00M4LV5H0/?tag=ubne0c-20

·
Premium Member
997 Posts
I put mine in front cupholder, i do have to glance down at it, but I don't want it covering my vent or anywhere on my windshield. Been looking into a gps head unit that would allow the uber app to play through it, but I have an iphone and Apple car play won't work with the uber app. I saw there were some android versions of head units that it could work on, but don't feel like going android.

Anyone have any head unit recommendations?

·
12,714 Posts
I use a cupholder mount, and I love it. Sits right next to and above my shifter/coffee mug in the center.

I'll never put a phone anywhere above the dashboard. To me they're unsightly, a potential obstruction (not yours, but many I see are), too bright at night looking like a spotlight in your face, and a potential ticket item if a cop needs something to pull you over on.

A cupholder mount is discreet (doesn't scream Uber driver), it's stable, don't worry about suction cup, mine is angled perfectly that I can quickly glance at it, or see from corner of eye without even looking down.

It's also far more stable and balanced for your hand, since you can rest your hand over your phone and use your thumb for quick things, like switching between uber app/Google maps, or a quick confirmation text message with pax. With your hand up hovering in mid air it's more unstable then being able to cup or rest it on something.

If I do briefly (and safely) use my phone at a red light it's not obvious - for example I quickly Google mapped the exact address of a restaurant I liked for a pax, or if you're making a nav change - looks and feels less clumsy than leaning forward and doing it above the dash.

^^^^ exactly this. #teamcupholder#

·
Registered
136 Posts
is that the new Mt. Elbert pigpen? If so, they have AVI gantries just like they did at pigpen 1.0. It's similar to how they track limos and vans on level 5.

It'll be interesting to see how these get used! In theory the airport could issue tags and keep certain cars from entering the lot (with gates), and also collect a lot of data on how much we use the lot. (Uber and Lyft already have this data in theory.)

Seems like pigpen 1.0 was too chaotic to even implement anything. Plus there are 10,000 of us to tags are probably impractical

Just curious, where do you guys mount your phone? I know a lot of drivers prefer the vent mount, but for those using the windshield suction mount (like me), I'm always a bit perplexed when I see them stuck in the middle of the windshield below the mirror. Does that not obstruct a good portion of your view? I keep mine in the corner, where it doesn't block my driver-door mirror or my main field of vision (photo below), but I'm always open to improving my tactics. Just wondered what you have all found to be the ideal place for your phone, and why you prefer it.

View attachment 99347
I use a vent-clip for my iPhone. (Kenu branded) While it partially blocks one of my vents, it keeps the phone centrally visible to me and passengers, within my total control, and A/C can actually keep it cool a bit on hot days.

Whatever you all do.... just mount it SOMEWHERE. So often I take rides and the driver has the phone in his lap on the seat, right by his crown jewels, so dangerous on many levels!

·
Registered
832 Posts
I didn't like the vent/dash/window mounts myself. I had one that was pretty pricey (specifically designed for my car AND phone...) but I found that passengers sitting up front would bump it with their knee. Had a few completely knock the mount off, so that was not going to continue.

I really liked the idea of a CD mount - I never use the CD player, it's nice and central, and doesn't really block my view (although the previous mount was better at this). It uses a magnet so I just get the phone near it and 'click', the phone sucks onto the mount.

If anyone is interested, I actually bought two - the first one here was awful and broke in a day. Returned thanks to Amazon's amazing policy. Second design here seemed to work better - although YMMV, I found the mount works wonderfully in my car but only "ok" in my truck...

That was the other thought to this mount, I could put it in any car with a CD player. I suppose the only case where this wouldn't work is those aftermarket decks that fold down to put in the optical disc.

Edit - in case anyone is curious about the more expensive custom solution, they may work better for your phone/vehicle - http://www.proclipusa.com/

·
Registered
991 Posts

View attachment 99347
OK 2 things where do I find this suction cup phone Holder. And I would mount it near the middle. I have a huge wiND shield but would never put it in a spot where I wasn't comfortable with it with sure. I have a vent one now and not liking it mich more.

View attachment 99408 CD slot mount. Slightly lower then the vent mount, but not obstructing any view of the windshield.
This is interesting

·
Registered
318 Posts
OK 2 things where do I find this suction cup phone Holder. And I would mount it near the middle. I have a huge wiND shield but would never put it in a spot where I wasn't comfortable with it with sure. I have a vent one now and not liking it mich more.

This is interesting
Got the CD slot mount on amazon, super strong magnet. The brand is Okebelo.

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
I do a lot of fitness stuff in addition to regular work and uber... I have a quad lock phone case and I have a windshield mount, bike mount, armband mount, and treadmill mount for it, as well as a mount for my desk when I'm working to keep it off the desk. I love it :). It doesn't really block any of my view even with the windshield mount attached about halfway between the rear-view mirror and the dash... don't have to look away from my field of vision to see the phone and it's within easy reach.

·
Registered
198 Posts
This is a conundrum for me. I use a vent mount which is ok. If I mounted it higher, I wouldn't have to look so far away to use it, but it would be harder to reach and might obstruct my view. I am left-handed, but use my right to control my smart-phone (why is that!?). I am trying to use voice commands more (google's works better for me than Samsung's). I am also considering getting a tablet and mounting it over/covering the clunky, built-in touch screen. I think a heads-up display would be great, view-wise, but cost-prohibitive, and a challenge to control.

Returned thanks to Amazon's amazing policy.
Amazon passes ALL the costs of returns (and sometimes even then some) to its vendors. Walmart and all global retailers do the same thing. Sometimes they make more money returning items than selling them.

·
Registered
2,348 Posts
This is a conundrum for me. I use a vent mount which is ok. If I mounted it higher, I wouldn't have to look so far away to use it, but it would be harder to reach and might obstruct my view. I am left-handed, but use my right to control my smart-phone (why is that!?). I am trying to use voice commands more (google's works better for me than Samsung's). I am also considering getting a tablet and mounting it over/covering the clunky, built-in touch screen. I think a heads-up display would be great, view-wise, but cost-prohibitive, and a challenge to control.

Amazon passes ALL the costs of returns (and sometimes even then some) to its vendors. Walmart and all global retailers do the same thing. Sometimes they make more money returning items than selling them.
I hate having phones on the dash or window because they get in my field of vision and are distracting .

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.