Uber Drivers Forum banner
  • If you have joined UberPeople.net because your Uber account was hacked, you've likely been taken in by a scam. Please read this before starting a thread on this subject.

When will Uber do ANYTHING about minors?

8K views 90 replies 41 participants last post by  Oscar Levant 
#1 ·
It's against the Uber rules/policy for anyone under 18 to use Uber (unaccompanied by an adult). In California, it's also against the law. And yet EVERY day I get ride requests for unaccompanied minors.

Uber pretends to care and enforce their rules and yet they don't even have an option when cancelling to select "unaccompanied minor" - there used to be a "fraudulent rider" option but today when cancelling my 10th minor in a week, the "fraudulent rider" option wasn't even there.

Uber - are you listening?!
If you aren't going to enforce your own rules, at least PRETEND you are and give drivers the option to report underaged riders that will also automatically:
1) not count that cancellation against us
2) not pair us with that rider again if you choose to allow them to continue to violate your rules/the law.

Maybe Uber can do this for day 181 ...

WHO'S WITH ME?
Cancel all children and call Uber support to report them!

See less See more
#2 ·
Teens have been some of my best behaved riders, and often tip.

I have only turned down 2 rides to minors. One was a single girl and the other was 2 girls, but all were dressed like like were going to go out to a club.
I'll draw the line at a teen dressed "sexy". That's asking for trouble.

But a girl wearing her softball uniform heading to practice, no problem.

#40 ·
Teens have been some of my best behaved riders, and often tip.

I have only turned down 2 rides to minors. One was a single girl and the other was 2 girls, but all were dressed like like were going to go out to a club.
I'll draw the line at a teen dressed "sexy". That's asking for trouble.

But a girl wearing her softball uniform heading to practice, no problem.
Hope you have a camera running . . . all he or she has to say is "that guy touched himself", "that guy made me feel uncomfortable", "that guy (fill in the blank), and life as you know it is over.

#5 ·
We had the teen rider platform up here in Seattle for a few months. Now its gone but the lazy parents who don't have time to pick up Johnny from soccer practice, still act and abuse the program as if it is still in existence. At least twice a day I arrive at a pick up to see a minor waiting. One time I pulled up to an elementary school, and the school nurse walked out with a boy and a girl about 9 and 7 years old. "Take them home please, they are sick.":confused:

#24 ·
We had the teen rider platform up here in Seattle for a few months. Now its gone but the lazy parents who don't have time to pick up Johnny from soccer practice, still act and abuse the program as if it is still in existence. At least twice a day I arrive at a pick up to see a minor waiting. One time I pulled up to an elementary school, and the school nurse walked out with a boy and a girl about 9 and 7 years old. "Take them home please, they are sick."?
Honestly the "lazy parents" are working 4 jobs to keep a roof over everyone's head and food in their pie holes.
Have a heart
We're all in this together

#6 ·
I had a passenger telling me one of the moms she knows lets her kid ride uber all the time. Apparently everyone keeps telling her to stop since her daughter does not look her age. I told her if they look too young ill cancel but i havent had anyone like that. Its hard to tell some of the college kids from hs kids too.

#7 ·
Uber likes it just the way it is.

Uber tells drivers not to drive unaccompanied minors. It's right in our TOS, and it's one of the choices for cancellations on the Driver app.

Uber clearly states that minors are not allowed to have their own accounts, and that unaccompanied minors are not permitted to use an account. That's in the rider TOS.

Therefore, Uber is free to take the money -- and any time it ends badly, it's not their fault. They told everybody not to do it.

#10 ·
... it's one of the choices for cancellations on the Driver app.
No it isnt, at least not on my app.
When was the last time you saw this option?
If that option WAS there, and if I got paid for these cancellations and IF Uber investigated them, i'd shut up and be happy, but this does not seem to be the case.

#13 ·
It was there last week, but I don't think it's an option you get paid for. I've been calling my pax to be sure there is an adult present on early morning runs, and I tell them to cancel if it's an unaccompanied minor. I get paid.

They have a pilot where the parents have a linked account their kids. Kids can use uberx this way no problem.

To fix the problems with minor, they should not be able to rate the drivers and also need to be monitored with dashcam.
That's the program Lissetti mentioned in Post #5 above. Apparently discontinued in Seattle now.

#12 ·
It's against the Uber rules/policy for anyone under 18 to use Uber (unaccompanied by an adult). In California, it's also against the law. And yet EVERY day I get ride requests for unaccompanied minors.

Uber pretends to care and enforce their rules and yet they don't even have an option when cancelling to select "unaccompanied minor" - there used to be a "fraudulent rider" option but today when cancelling my 10th minor in a week, the "fraudulent rider" option wasn't even there.

If you aren't going to enforce your own rules, at least PRETEND you are and give drivers the option to report underaged riders that will also automatically:
2) not pair us with that rider again if you choose to allow them to continue to violate your rules/the law.

WHO'S WITH ME?
When I drove a taxi, they did not have this policy, so I'm quite sure Uber does it to get a better rate from an insurer.

#17 ·
I just learned about this issue a month ago, from this forum.

As a father with under 18 children, I completely understand the need to use the services for those times when rides are needed but parents are busy.

However.... since it is illegal, that makes the ride illegal. Which means if there is an accident, NO ONE in the car is insured. Scary stuff if you think about it.

#20 ·
It’s there on mine and when I use I DO NOT get paid or haven’t yet. Drive 18 minutes to pick up and it was at a school. Called the pax and it was the mother telling me she was at work and then traffic was heavy. I explained that it’s against Stuber policy to transport unaccompanied minors. She said well what am I supposed to do. My thought was know the laws of Stuber

#21 ·

WHO'S WITH ME?
Speak for yourself

#42 ·
The wreck isn't the problem. You'd be covered for that.

The problem is if the kid is in the process of running away, or going to meet R. Kelly. Kid disappears, gets molested, killed, or whatever, and you have pissed-off or worse, heartbroken, parents suing the ever-lovin' crap outta YOU because Uber is protected from that by their TOS, and you aren't because you VIOLATED that TOS.

Would you win? Maybe, but even if you did, it would be AFTER spending tens of thousands of dollars in legal fees and litigation costs.

But, hey! $3-4 is worth it, right?

#44 ·
The wreck isn't the problem. You'd be covered for that.

The problem is if the kid is in the process of running away, or going to meet R. Kelly. Kid disappears, gets molested, killed, or whatever, and you have pissed-off or worse, heartbroken, parents suing the ever-lovin' crap outta YOU because Uber is protected from that by their TOS, and you aren't because you VIOLATED that TOS.

Would you win? Maybe, but even if you did, it would be AFTER spending tens of thousands of dollars in legal fees and litigation costs.

But, hey! $3-4 is worth it, right?
The defense would be that the driver would never do anything like that!

Obtw, the driver that would never do anything like that is the same driver that is willing to break an important rule to make $5.

Pretty weak.

#49 ·

1. not count that cancellation against us
  2. not pair us with that rider again if you choose to allow them to continue to violate your rules/the law.

WHO'S WITH ME?
I'm with you and I have cancelled every single ones of them. Those who take kids in California will one day learn their lesson the hard way.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.